John Sullivan dies : (

Quentin

The general public being such wonderful arbiters of artistic stature, the same public that in 2000 voted Robbie Williams the 2nd best vocalist of the previous Millenium?

Surely something can't be the best sitcom if it fails to connect with the audience to the point where they considered it better than any other?

I would suggest there's a difference between the "most popular" and "best". OFAH may be the most popular sitcom in British tv history, but that doesn't make it the best. Deadwood is (IMO) the best tv series of all time, but it struggled to achieve high enough ratings and ultimately was cancelled. Van Gogh wasn't hugely popular during his lifetime, but is widely regarded as one of the greatest painters of all time.

Dancing With Stars and X Factor are popular with the British public; they're still shit tv.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Father Ted is obviously the greatest sitcom ever made.

Absolutely, one of the absolute classic shows. Funny, witty, brilliantly sharp. Great show, can't think of a decent sitcom since, that's because there isn't any.

Peep Show, Green Wing, Still Game, to name but a few.

Naming a few that aren't even comparable?

Obviously nobody would seriously suggest these as equal or better, hell even fighting for relegation in the league below is a stretch for any of them.

You said you couldn't think of decent sitcom since then, I proved your theory wrong you utter mongo. Nice Americanism as well by the way. Awesome!

Absolutely, one of the absolute classic shows. Funny, witty, brilliantly sharp. Great show, can't think of a decent sitcom since, that's because there isn't any.

Obviously nobody would seriously suggest these as equal or better, hell even fighting for relegation in the league below is a stretch for any of them.

You said you couldn't think of decent sitcom since then, I proved your theory wrong you utter mongo. Nice Americanism as well by the way. Awesome!

But you didn't name one, as they're all dire, dire shows of incredibly low quality. You dribbling spasticated mongoriffic nonceking

• Paid Members
/

Using a football metaphor there? Tsk, the depths you've sunk with your trolling, eh?

Of course people would suggest them seriously. If they like them, then they will suggest them. Personally I thought Green Wing was terrible, but there you go.

But you didn't name one, as they're all dire, dire shows of incredibly low quality. You dribbling spasticated mongoriffic nonceking

Incredibly low quality? Please explain why you think they are of incredibly low quality? Have you ever seen them? Peep Show is by far the best sitcom of the last decade.

• Paid Members

I dont get the protective passion towards Only Fools and Horses. Yeah its great and its a legendary show, but I didnt think that many people thought it was the best sitcom of all time. I'm far more into Blackadder, The Young Ones, I'm Alan Partridge (there you go Legend Killer :)), The Likely Lads, Father Ted, One Foot in the Grave, Porridge, Red Dwarf, Bottom and Open All Hours than Only Fools and Horses. OFAH might not even get in my top 10. Doesnt mean its shite. Just means other shows are funnier, and the body of work of some of those mentioned can easily be used in argument towards it.

Incredibly low quality? Please explain why you think they are of incredibly low quality? Have you ever seen them? Peep Show is by far the best sitcom of the last decade.

Peep Show hasn't even had anyone trying to lean on a bar and falling over.

On the other hand OFAH didn't have someone running down a dog and eating it.

• Paid Members
I dont get the protective passion towards Only Fools and Horses.

To be fair, this kind of thing happens with all shows. People defend things they like, just a few posts up BiffingtonClyro called Peep Show the best show of the last decade, and I'm sure would passionately protect that opinion if challenged on it.

Its all a pointless debate anyway, cause Fawlty Towers is quite clearly the greatest sitcom of all time, and anyone who thinks otherwise is obviously an idiot who doesnt know what they're talking about.

Its all a pointless debate anyway, cause Fawlty Towers is quite clearly the greatest sitcom of all time, and anyone who thinks otherwise is obviously an idiot who doesnt know what they're talking about.

Very true. Although you meant to say The Inbetweeners.

• Paid Members

Although I love OFAH I think something it lacks that shows like Peep Show and such have in abudance is relateability, I might be off the mark here but unless your a market trader in 1980's London or working class theres not a lot to relate too on repeated viewings. As the show went on it also suffered from the plots becoming less and less realistic. You could argue that Peep Shows unrealistic in places too but theres something about the show that makes you think it could happen.

• Paid Members

Very true. Although you meant to say Yes, Prime Minister.

A man who knows.

• Moderators

Very true. Although you meant to say Watching.

A man who knows.

Archived