John Sullivan dies : (

Quentin

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel for his friends & family. Only Fools & Horses was top class, and a British institution without a doubt, even if they should have called it quits when Del & Rodney made their fortune.

They should have called it quits when they stopped doing the regular series in 1990. All of the one off episodes after that were crap. Especially the Batman and Robin one.

The best episodes were when it was a sitcom about market traders. When they became "Britain's best loved sitcom characters" (around the time they expanded to 50 minute episodes, the show jumped the shark).

I feel for his friends & family. Only Fools & Horses was top class, and a British institution without a doubt, even if they should have called it quits when Del & Rodney made their fortune.

They should have called it quits when they stopped doing the regular series in 1990. All of the one off episodes after that were crap. Especially the Batman and Robin one.

Nah, the episode where they came into money was the perfect ending.

They were lovable losers. It isn't the British way to have them leave on a high note.

Having said that, the way the regular series ended (the birth of Damien), would have been the perfect ending.

• Paid Members

I was one of those sad fuckers still clinging onto the hope that Del Boy might return and be as funny as he was in the late 80s. The 1996 Christmas specials were great I thought. I have good memories watching the Christmas specials as a kid every year with my family. We didnt need the 2001-2003 returns, though to be fair. They werent to funny. I've seen Only Fools and Horses so many times, I could probably act them out, so I havent seen them in ages. Although To Hull and Back and the Jolly Boys Outing still raise a smile today. It was a good show, it has to be said. I remember I was crushed to find out Rodney was actually a posh, clever old bloke in real life, though. I never thought it was the best sitcom ever, as there were a lot of crap in those 64 episodes. But its a national treasure and there isnt to many of those left.

• Paid Members
I've asked, now I'm telling you, leave out the insults.

Oooooooh.

I've learnt my lesson, Loki :(

Stop fighting over the glue or he'll take away the glue and then no-one'll have any glue to glue with!

They were lovable losers. It isn't the British way to have them leave on a high note.

Having said that, the way the regular series ended (the birth of Damien), would have been the perfect ending.

Difficult. For me, it's a straight toss-up between Damien's birth and their finally coming into money. For me the finally making it as millionaires felt like a great pay-off for fans who'd been rooting for Del and Rodney all that time, especially as they'd lost their grandad while pursuing their dreams. But Damien as a young child onwards was just a horrible little shit, who became more a horrible little chave shit later (though, to be fair this was after both MY choice of cut-off), which is why part of me feels they should've finished it with Del becoming a dad.

Also, some of the later episodes did have some lovely, poignant bits, like where Rodney and Cassandra have lost their first baby, and Del tricks him into spilling his guts, pretending they're trapped in the lift - thought that was some good acting from Lyndhurst.

• Moderators

It should have ended with Del Boy fucking off to Australia in the late 80's.

Buster Merryfield as Albert sparked a sharp "During the War" decline. Adding women into it and writing it as 50 minute per episode comedy drama speeded it up. After Lennard Pearce died in series 3 or 4, it got worse and worse as time wore on.

Mind you though, I didn't mind "Sitting Pretty" as a child (Joking Apart was better though. Super underrated).

R.I.P.

Thought OFAH was a good show back in the day but it seems crackers to see people saying its 'the greatest sitcom of all time'. Its not at all, it might be popular and it might be some peoples fave sitcom but 'better than all others no question', no chance. I'd rather watch Open All Hours or One Foot In The Grave if I had a 3 way option with them and OFAH.

Archived