John Sullivan dies : (

Quentin

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me there is no doubt OFAH is the greatest British television program of all time. The thing I loved most about it was as much as it could get quite slapstick it had the ability to suddenly throw some very real life issues in there and deal with them in a very real manor. When it wanted to, Only Fools And Horses could just as easily make you cry as it could laugh.

Bloody hell, that's literally a direct quote from the story of OFAH isnt it? :laugh:

If so then they could have saved a packet by having me say it rather than whoever they got!

• Paid Members
Individual taste is as invalid as popular opinion.

Especially when the individual is you.

As a general rule Glads I'm happy you love average things, I can genuinely see why a bunch of no hopers see you as a magnet for all things mediocre.

But he made a joke about getting laid. Lol.

It's a shame, really. If you dropped the poor attempts at trolling, silly generalisations that infect the occasional reasonable point you make, and actually read what people wrote from time to time then you might be a contender. Never mind, eh?

• Moderators
For me there is no doubt OFAH is the greatest British television program of all time.

Better than Boys from the Blackstuff? Civilisation? The Singing Detective? Our Friends in the North?

OFAH was one of those shows that I could only really enjoy in small doses and I agree with the opinion that carried on past its prime, personally I think it was better without the extended family and just concentraited on the Del, Rod and Grandad/Albert.

R.I.P.

For me there is no doubt OFAH is the greatest British television program of all time.

Better than Boys from the Blackstuff? Civilisation? The Singing Detective? Our Friends in the North?

In my opinion, yeah. Although boys from the blackstuff was excellent as well.

• Paid Members
The general public being such wonderful arbiters of artistic stature, the same public that in 2000 voted Robbie Williams the 2nd best vocalist of the previous Millenium?

Surely something can't be the best sitcom if it fails to connect with the audience to the point where they considered it better than any other?

The general public being such wonderful arbiters of artistic stature, the same public that in 2000 voted Robbie Williams the 2nd best vocalist of the previous Millenium?

And Ricky Gervais the 3rd greatest stand up, and Oasis' Live Forever the greatest song of all time. I put absolutely zero stock in the findings of public votes on matters of the arts.

Hold up lads. I never said OFAH was the best sitcom, the question or point was raised that if you asked around the country what was the best then OFAH would probably win, my point was that the public in 2004 did choose it as the best, whether its the best or not is always going to be down to opinion.

No you didn't but DJ Kris did, but then again it's DJ Kris.

Perhaps instead of making snide remarks you could suggest what you believe the general public would go for?

Outside of Del Boy falling through the bar I've always been of the opinion that OFAH was hackneyed, maudlin and low-rent shit. I don't really care how popular it is or if people think this is TROLLING, I've always found it to be pretty repulsive.

Outside of Del Boy falling through the bar I've always been of the opinion that OFAH was hackneyed, maudlin and low-rent shit. I don't really care how popular it is or if people think this is TROLLING, I've always found it to be pretty repulsive.

Get with the programe Seven, it's voted the best sitcom by ~the public~.

Just for the record, I disagree with you. That doesn't make your opinion any less valid though, despite what some anti-pCc chumps may say.

OFAH was very much of its time, people change, tastes change the older you get, i loved men behaving badly, watched it for first time in years few weeks ago, and its utterly awful, not a funny part to it, for me OFAH suffered from the trying to get modern day quotes about trends at the time in, what started as a good show became a self parody, became a drama with comedy bits rather than a comedy with occasional drama!

top 100, best of anything are drizzling shits anyway with a bought memory from stuart maconie for all u stewart lee fans

personally i adore catterick, which everyone seems to hate!

• Paid Members

For the record, I used to quite like Only Fools & Horses and I can see why it has become a national institution. However, I think it is nowhere near the best sitcom we have ever produced and, as is usually the case, the segments and episodes that are not its strongest are the ones that get recycled over and over ad infinitum. Why does no-one ever talk about the one where they get held hostage and Rodney goes for the fags instead of the gun? It's always the fucking chandelier or falling through the bar or Batman & Robin.

It's been completely over-exposed though in the last decade and I think it has done a lot to highlight its weaknesses. I can watch some shows or films and I can see them get better all the time, but OFAH does not really hold up well to repeated viewing. Familiarity doesn't always have to breed contempt, but in this case it really does.

For me, I think that the likes of Blackadder (in its various guises), Porridge, Peep Show, Fawlty Towers, Rising Damp, The Young Ones, Drop The Dead Donkey and Bottom, to name but a few, are far better sitcoms.

For the record, I used to quite like Only Fools & Horses and I can see why it has become a national institution. However, I think it is nowhere near the best sitcom we have ever produced and, as is usually the case, the segments and episodes that are not its strongest are the ones that get recycled over and over ad infinitum. Why does no-one ever talk about the one where they get held hostage and Rodney goes for the fags instead of the gun? It's always the fucking chandelier or falling through the bar or Batman & Robin.

It's been completely over-exposed though in the last decade and I think it has done a lot to highlight its weaknesses. I can watch some shows or films and I can see them get better all the time, but OFAH does not really hold up well to repeated viewing. Familiarity doesn't always have to breed contempt, but in this case it really does.

For me, I think that the likes of Blackadder (in its various guises), Porridge, Peep Show, Fawlty Towers, Rising Damp, The Young Ones, Drop The Dead Donkey and Bottom, to name but a few, are far better sitcoms.

Ill agree on that

Fools and Horses is a favorite of mine and is easy viewing in the evening or on a boring afternnon, but I watched Peep Show in what I thought was its stongest period last night on Dave (Series 4) and it truly is somthing very special, I just hope it doesnt go on too long like Fools and Horses did. i agree with the people on hear who say 1996 should have been the end.

Father Ted is obviously the greatest sitcom ever made.

Never found that funny at all and I gave it many chances I must of watched most or maybe even all of them over the years trying to see what was funny about it and never did the only one I thought was even remotely funny was the one where Richard Wilson was in it.

Archived