John Sullivan dies : (

Quentin

• Paid Members
While I agree that Albert was no Grandad, I think it's unfair to blame him for the decline.

I must be in the minority as someone who thought Buster Merryfield was excellent in the show then?

Absolutely not. Merryfield was excellent as Uncle Albert.

"Hole in one" is an example of how fantastic a character he was.

Towards the end OFAH did slip into a point where Sullivan seemed to be looking to clumsily slip the famous catchphrases into every episode.

I guess that's the problem with creating something that becomes a "national treasure". You can't really re-invent it so you instead have to give the public what they want.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Dear John was awful as well.

I've been recently watching some of those, Its all right but I can see why its not oft remembered.

I did chuckle at the implication that he would shag one of his pupils at the start of the first episode I caught.

Only Fools and Horses was a show that used to make me laugh when I was a child but now doesn't. Its entertaining enough but it it just doesn't make me laugh like other shows I've seen before growing up like One Foot in the Grave to use an example some one else has or bottom. Some, if not all, of the one off's after they made the fortune are the pits in my opinion.

Ohh and here is Cassandra's tits

NSFW

For me I do believe it was the best British Sitcom ever. I say this because I believe if you canvassed the entire country and asked people to name what they thought was the best or their favourite the majority would say Only Fools and Horses. Of course I can't actually prove that, but I believe that would be the outcome.

Absolutely, popularity equals talent after all, doesn't it. Crabs have the same DNA as paedophiles, its a scientific fact but you can't prove it.

While I agree that Albert was no Grandad, I think it's unfair to blame him for the decline.

I must be in the minority as someone who thought Buster Merryfield was excellent in the show then?

I loved Uncle Albert too. For me I do believe it was the best British Sitcom ever. I say this because I believe if you canvassed the entire country and asked people to name what they thought was the best or their favourite the majority would say Only Fools and Horses. Of course I can't actually prove that, but I believe that would be the outcome. The show has managed to cross over generations.

The show won the best sitcom as voted by the public in 2004 which supports your case quite well.

The general public being such wonderful arbiters of artistic stature, the same public that in 2000 voted Robbie Williams the 2nd best vocalist of the previous Millenium?

• Moderators
The general public being such wonderful arbiters of artistic stature, the same public that in 2000 voted Robbie Williams the 2nd best vocalist of the previous Millenium?

And Ricky Gervais the 3rd greatest stand up, and Oasis' Live Forever the greatest song of all time. I put absolutely zero stock in the findings of public votes on matters of the arts.

And Ricky Gervais the 3rd greatest stand up, and Oasis' Live Forever the greatest song of all time. I put absolutely zero stock in the findings of public votes on matters of the arts.

Hold up lads. I never said OFAH was the best sitcom, the question or point was raised that if you asked around the country what was the best then OFAH would probably win, my point was that the public in 2004 did choose it as the best, whether its the best or not is always going to be down to opinion.

Hold up lads. I never said OFAH was the best sitcom, the question or point was raised that if you asked around the country what was the best then OFAH would probably win, my point was that the public in 2004 did choose it as the best, whether its the best or not is always going to be down to opinion.

No you didn't but DJ Kris did, but then again it's DJ Kris.

For me there is no doubt OFAH is the greatest British television program of all time. The thing I loved most about it was as much as it could get quite slapstick it had the ability to suddenly throw some very real life issues in there and deal with them in a very real manor. When it wanted to, Only Fools And Horses could just as easily make you cry as it could laugh.

To be fair, there is no arbiter on quality. Some people on this forum think Jungle is a valid form of music, when it isn't for example. Some people love Harry Hill when he isn't funny. Some people love Slipknot when they're average.

Individual taste is as invalid as popular opinion.

For me there is no doubt OFAH is the greatest British television program of all time. The thing I loved most about it was as much as it could get quite slapstick it had the ability to suddenly throw some very real life issues in there and deal with them in a very real manor. When it wanted to, Only Fools And Horses could just as easily make you cry as it could laugh.

Bloody hell, that's literally a direct quote from the story of OFAH isnt it? :laugh:

Individual taste is as invalid as popular opinion.

Especially when the individual is you.

As a general rule Glads I'm happy you love average things, I can genuinely see why a bunch of no hopers see you as a magnet for all things mediocre.

But he made a joke about getting laid. Lol.

Archived