John Sullivan dies : (

Quentin

• Paid Members

There are some seriously interesting opinions in this thread. I honestly don't agree with many. Had the show stopped in 1985, that would've been an absolute travesty because the 50 minute episodes are utter brilliance. I don't agree that it should have stopped after them either because The Jolly Boys outing was superb and I'm a big fan of the episode with the bottled water too. Also 2 of the 3 in the final trio are brilliant. David was right, the "Time on our hands" ep was a fitting and marvellous finish.

The more I watch the 3 they made after the comeback, the more I like them but they still shouldn't have come back.

I can understand and disagree with anyone who didn't like the Raquel and Cassandra characters. I can understand and agree with anyone who hated the grown up Damien. I can't understand or agree anyone who criticises Uncle Albert. He was ace and beautifully acted by Buster Merryfield.

My favourite episode is "A losing streak". The one with the big poker game in Del's flat. It's outstanding.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It should have ended with Del Boy fucking off to Australia in the late 80's.

Buster Merryfield as Albert sparked a sharp "During the War" decline. Adding women into it and writing it as 50 minute per episode comedy drama speeded it up. After Lennard Pearce died in series 3 or 4, it got worse and worse as time wore on.

Mind you though, I didn't mind "Sitting Pretty" as a child (Joking Apart was better though. Super underrated).

While I agree that Albert was no Grandad, I think it's unfair to blame him for the decline. It obviously started to go downhill when Racquel and, especially, "Cassie" were brought into the show full time.

It should have finished with them walking off into the sunset after becoming millionaires.

I thought Greeen Green Grass was OK not great and nowhere near as good as OFAH but it wasn't to bad.

When OFAH finished and they were talking about spin off's wasn't Trigger and Denzil supposed to have one though I don't see how that could of been that good Trigger was great but only when he came in acted stupid and that was it I don't think they could of done enough to base an entire series around him plus he wouldn't of been able to use his "Dave" line as Rodney wouldn't of been part of the show.

I do think an argument could be made that OFAH will go down as the best sitcom ever I don't think a better one will come along as comedy seems to be getting worse and worse I don't think I've really liked a new comedy show (that wasn't a spin off or continuation) for about 20 years now I suppose the best one since then was Vicar Of Dibley and even that I consider OK but not great.

• Paid Members
R.I.P.

Thought OFAH was a good show back in the day but it seems crackers to see people saying its 'the greatest sitcom of all time'. Its not at all, it might be popular and it might be some peoples fave sitcom but 'better than all others no question', no chance. I'd rather watch Open All Hours or One Foot In The Grave if I had a 3 way option with them and OFAH.

One Foot In The Grave seems to be a sitcom that, at the time, EVERYONE watched. Now it seems to have been forgotten a bit, which is strange. I do still like it very much.

I'm still interested to know why Only Fools & Horses is the best sitcom of all time!

• Paid Members
I do think an argument could be made that OFAH will go down as the best sitcom ever I don't think a better one will come along as comedy seems to be getting worse and worse I don't think I've really liked a new comedy show (that wasn't a spin off or continuation) for about 20 years now I suppose the best one since then was Vicar Of Dibley and even that I consider OK but not great.

You must be joking? What about Peep Show? Or Spaced? They have both come along since OFAH and both been two thousand times better that The Vicar Of Dibley.

R.I.P.

Thought OFAH was a good show back in the day but it seems crackers to see people saying its 'the greatest sitcom of all time'. Its not at all, it might be popular and it might be some peoples fave sitcom but 'better than all others no question', no chance. I'd rather watch Open All Hours or One Foot In The Grave if I had a 3 way option with them and OFAH.

One Foot In The Grave seems to be a sitcom that, at the time, EVERYONE watched. Now it seems to have been forgotten a bit, which is strange. I do still like it very much.

I'm still interested to know why Only Fools & Horses is the best sitcom of all time!

Personal tastes? It's not mine but I can appreciate why it would be for some people.

You must be joking? What about Peep Show? Or Spaced? They have both come along since OFAH and both been two thousand times better that The Vicar Of Dibley.

Seen a bit of them and don't like them I'm quite old school with my comedy late 50's to mid 80's is where I like most of my stuff after that there is only 3 shows I really liked (Red Dwarf-One Foot In the Grave and Keeping Up Appearances)

While I agree that Albert was no Grandad, I think it's unfair to blame him for the decline.

I must be in the minority as someone who thought Buster Merryfield was excellent in the show then?

He was excellent. It's just I thought Grandad was better.

• Paid Members
While I agree that Albert was no Grandad, I think it's unfair to blame him for the decline.

I must be in the minority as someone who thought Buster Merryfield was excellent in the show then?

I loved Uncle Albert too. For me I do believe it was the best British Sitcom ever. I say this because I believe if you canvassed the entire country and asked people to name what they thought was the best or their favourite the majority would say Only Fools and Horses. Of course I can't actually prove that, but I believe that would be the outcome. The show has managed to cross over generations.

Archived