John Sullivan dies : (

Quentin

Father Ted is obviously the greatest sitcom ever made.

Absolutely, one of the absolute classic shows. Funny, witty, brilliantly sharp. Great show, can't think of a decent sitcom since, that's because there isn't any.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely, one of the absolute classic shows. Funny, witty, brilliantly sharp. Great show, can't think of a decent sitcom since, that's because there isn't any.

Peep Show, Green Wing, Still Game, to name but a few.

• Paid Members
The fact that Peep Show is being brought up as an alternative to "best british sitcom" is laughable, but each to their own eh? :thumbsup::laugh::p

Thanks for your contribution of a sarcastic remark and a few smileys to the debate, you've really raised the bar of the discussion there.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Father Ted, actually, another one that is in a different league to OFAH, and another that benefits from repeated viewing.

The fact that Peep Show is being brought up as an alternative to "best british sitcom" is laughable, but each to their own eh? :thumbsup::laugh::p

Thanks for your contribution of a sarcastic remark and a few smileys to the debate, you've really raised the bar of the discussion there.

Ok, I think Only Fools And Horses is the greatest british sitcom and that Peep Show is average at best. Better?

• Paid Members
To be fair, there is no arbiter on quality.

Too right there isn't.

Some people love Harry Hill when he isn't funny.

Ummm.....

• Paid Members

The amount of people that have overlooked the true brilliance of Porridge in this thread is ridiculous, NO British sit-com will ever compare to it.

OFAH is nowhere near Steptoe and Son, Yes Prime/Minister or Till Death Us Do Part either. It was a good feel-good TV show, but it was never one of those that was truly a step above everything in it's path.

As for best British TV show, Our Friends is up there, Cracker is also a fore runner

• Paid Members
The amount of people that have overlooked the true brilliance of Porridge in this thread is ridiculous, NO British sit-com will ever compare to it.

I didn't. Porridge is one of the greatest TV series ever produced in this country of any type. It was almost perfect.

• Paid Members

I didn't. Porridge is one of the greatest TV series ever produced in this country of any type. It was almost perfect.

The only thing that let it down was 'Going Straight'

Yeah Porridge was awesome as were a lot of shows already mentioned.

But one of OFAHs strongpoints for me was that it was consitently funny throughout pretty much its entire run. Of course it should of ended when they became millionaires and the returns sucked.

But even then no other show had as many good episodes at OFAH did.

For me it was the perfect blend of good characters, good writing, good acting with a good mix of comedy and drama. Went from ok at worst to brilliant at best. And had longevity that other classic shows didn't.

Naming a few that aren't even comparable?

Obviously nobody would seriously suggest these as equal or better, hell even fighting for relegation in the league below is a stretch for any of them.

• Moderators

Obviously nobody would seriously suggest these as equal or better, hell even fighting for relegation in the league below is a stretch for any of them.

Black Books? That's was pretty bloody solid.

Black Books? That's was pretty bloody solid.

Aha. Cursed by definitive wording. I thought it was pre 1998, but it was later. Erm........ exception that proves the rule, that'll do.

Archived