WrestleMania post show discussion

JNLister

I've read some people comparing Wrestlemanias to a 'season finale', which is what it used to be, but the last few years its been anything but that. Look at WM25, Orton clearly should have won the title, but he didnt, and ended up winning it in a meaningless mid card match at Backlash (punting HHH too, if that happened at WM25 people may have had a completely different opinion on the main event).

WM24 - Orton retains the belt against HHH and Orton, but HHH ends up winning it in a meaningless mid card match at Backlash.

Same thing goes for this year, Del Rio really should have won the title, but instead he might end up winning it in a meaningless mid card match at Extreme Rules.

It's no different to Wrestlemania 2000, when everything leading up to the event was built for The Rock to take the belt off of the ultra heel Triple H. If it is the season finale, then it could be compared to as the cliffhanger at the end of the season that you get with alot of shows.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Good to see The Miz win though

Indeed it was, shame it wasn't clean. Has neil chosen your new login yet?

Ahh yes, I heard about this. He agreed to a name change if The Miz didn't win clean? Oh dear. I think his new name should be Arse.

• Paid Members
Good to see The Miz win though

Indeed it was, shame it wasn't clean. Has neil chosen your new login yet?

Not as of yet, the match was reset with a match that had no rules so really outside interference does not count as not going over clean as it was legal. But yeah I will take whatever Neil dishes out.

• Paid Members
Awesome Video Package Introduction

The Rock opening the show like only he can

Best opening match to a WrestleMania ever

Solid Rhodes/Mysterio match

William Regal rapping

WrestleMania-sized Cobra followed by a hilarious Knockout Punch

A Stone Cold/Rock Staredown

A mid-air RKO

HBK getting his standing ovation

"Jerry!" *smash* "Jerry!" *smash* "Jerry!" *smash*

Three Stone Cold Stunners

19-0 (complete with top rope suicide dive, never thought he'd do it again)

Trish Stratus.

Miz's rise to fame video

Cena's epic entrance

Rock Bottom to John Cena

WrestleMania was awesome. You people suck.

After re-watching it, I'm going to agree with this. It was awesome.

They are killing off the Royal Rumble. For years the winner was almost certainly guaranteed to win the world title in the main event (ie the final match) of WrestleMania. This made the Royal Rumble almost as important as WrestleMania. For the last 4 years, not only has the winner not won the world title, in 3 instances it has not even been the final match, cumilating last night with ADR's "WrestleMania dream" turning out to be losing to Edge in the opening match. If they don't want the Rumble to become as meaningless as all other PPVs save for WrestleMania, next years the winner of it HAS to go on to win the title in the final match at WM. And ideally it should be someone's first title win.

• Paid Members
Not as of yet, the match was reset with a match that had no rules so really outside interference does not count as not going over clean as it was legal. But yeah I will take whatever Neil dishes out.

Tomato, tomato. Oops, that doesn't really work in the written word, does it?

I'm not truly bothered if you get changed or not, I just stuck my neck out to be called "Twat" if he'd won clean because I was so convinced it was an impossibility that I wanted to be a pretentious cunt about it. If I had a mortgage, I literally * would have bet that on something other than Miz pinning John Boy all by himself with no shenanigans.

It's no different to Wrestlemania 2000, when everything leading up to the event was built for The Rock to take the belt off of the ultra heel Triple H.

Well, you could see the difference is that most of us thought that WWE would give us their interpretation of what we wanted to seem that being Cena raise a shiny belt over his head as he has five years out of the last six. Turns out actually, WWE thought we all wanted to see Rock batter Cena. Worked for me, except by smashing Miz too it made him look rather inconsequential and the only guy that looked strong at the end is an actor that they will lucky to get one more big buy rate out of before he fucks off again.

If it is the season finale, then it could be compared to as the cliffhanger at the end of the season that you get with alot of shows.

By that token though it should be either the end of an arc or a new beginning? This year Mania seemed to "settle" very little, start no one off towards a bigger and brighter future and only serve as a continuation of the Cena/Rock arc.

One person I was slightly impressed by was Cody. For the sake of something a bit different, I wouldnt mind him start venting that he knows now his "face doesnt fit" for main events, and turn his hostility towards Edge. He wont win, but it might be interesting.

* Not literally

• Paid Members

I won't back out Air Raid if Neil is still doing it he can change my name to whatever he wants I have a few suggestions

cuntface

A RI

Air Raids bitch

Not sure if he can be bothered though I am up for it though. It was a bet and I lost I always pay out on losing bets.

Best opening match to a WrestleMania ever

Not seen Wrestlemania 10 then? :rolleyes:

Eddie/Rey from WM21 was better than Edge/Del Rio as well. Maybe a couple of others, but can't really think at the moment.

Opener was good, but not close to being best Mania opener ever imo.

• Paid Members
Not sure if he can be bothered though I am up for it though. It was a bet and I lost I always pay out on losing bets.

"I LOVE VENKYS" ?

Enjoyed Mania as a whole. Hey, its WWE, we should only realistically expect so much nowadays.

Genuinely thought HHH might best Taker at one point. Taker not staying down and HHH yelling at him to 'die' and 'stay down' while pelting him with a chair, Pedigeeeing and Tombstoning him reminded me of when Flair refused to quit and HBK 'pulled the trigger' in his 'retirement match' a few years ago. My mate asked me 'who's a big enough name to fight The Undertaker at Mania now?' Seeing as WrestleMania is in Miami next year and The Rock is from Miami I could see that match being quite the draw.

Genuinely surprised Del Rio didn't win and The Miz retained. Figured Rock and Cena would shake hands and screw Miz as 'it was a swerve all along' finale we have become accustomed to [maybe I watch too much TNA?]. Has Del Rio fallen out of favour? Losing to Christian on SmackDown a couple of times and now having his 'big moment' relegated to a loss in the opening match!?

Cody Rhodes looked impressive against Mysterio and I think it was the right decision he got the win.

• Paid Members
Has Del Rio fallen out of favour? Losing to Christian on SmackDown a couple of times and now having his 'big moment' relegated to a loss in the opening match!?

I thought that too. WWE has turned so bizarre, in regards with pushing people. They were going all out with Del Rio for months and people were liking his schtick, but three weeks before they pull the trigger on the work they started last year they decide, "nah". If he doesn't win it at the next PPV then he's clearly in trouble.

Yet again this was totally GUTLESS booking by a company that knows it needs to make stars, but refuses to take the next logiacal step to do so!

Alberto Del Rio should have one the World Title, plain and simple! Why Edge went over is beyond me. If Christian had turned had helped Alberto win the title then you could have paired him of with Edge and Alberto could have fueded with Mistico. Instead, here probably going to re-match on either Smackdown or the next PPV which will be seen by a quarter of the audience and mean half as much as a win at Wrestlemania would have meant!

Instead, Alberto was pinned clean, in only 10 minutes, in what basically was a house show calibre match! Where was the fire, where was the passion! Why not do the logical thing for once and let the Del Rio take the nest logical step?

Cody Rhodes Vs Rey Misterio was ok for what it was! Cody needs to win this fued, but probably won't!

Jerry Lawler Vs Michael Cole should have been a squash, maybe Lawler could have sold a little for Cole, but not for the period of time that he did. And the ending! For fucks sake! Just pin the skinny dick and have done with the fued!

The Undertaker Vs Triple H was superb! But I get the feeling that if Triple H and the Undertaker had been watching the exact same match between Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards on a ROH show, they would be saying that they didn't know how to work! A great effort by both men though and the best thing on this show by a country mile.

Randy Orton Vs CM Punk was a good solid match. Again though, Punk should have gone over to prepare him for a run at the title when Cena eventually becomes the champion. Victories on WM are far more meaningful than the other shows and Punk needed a good solid win, far more than Orton. Yet again though the WWE took the easy way out!

The Core Vs Kane/Big Show/Kofi Kingston and Marella was a fucking waste of time.

As for the Miz Vs John Cena, where do you begin! Cena looked clueless and was off with his timing on more than one occasion. The Miz looked weak again. The Double count out was so dumb! The Rock re-started the match and drilled Cena, allowing the Miz to score yet another meaningless victory. He was then made to look like an even bigger joke when the Rock planted him and left him laying!

The Rock did virtually the same thing that he did on RAW warlier in the week, so why was I paying to see this again!

The WWE cleary wants the Miz to succedde. They like his attitude, his work ethic and how he represents the compay when interviewed by the mainstream. They could have done somthing really special with him here. A clean win would have meant so much. Even a tainted win and him then laying out the Rock and standing tall with show ending would have been a powerful image to leave the public with.

Instead, the short term gain is used at the sacrifice of a long term picture. The Rock Vs Cena maywell be a huge macth, but the WWE will know doubt find a way to fuck this up. An what happens in a great role for the Rock comes his way before he's about to go against Cena? Which one do you think he's going to accept? And where will the WWE be then! In a fucking stale rut, like they have been for the last 3 years.

I didn't like WM much in case you where wondering!

If it is the season finale, then it could be compared to as the cliffhanger at the end of the season that you get with alot of shows.

By that token though it should be either the end of an arc or a new beginning? This year Mania seemed to "settle" very little, start no one off towards a bigger and brighter future and only serve as a continuation of the Cena/Rock arc.

One person I was slightly impressed by was Cody. For the sake of something a bit different, I wouldnt mind him start venting that he knows now his "face doesnt fit" for main events, and turn his hostility towards Edge. He wont win, but it might be interesting.

Well, I don't really think off it it as a new season aefter Wrestlemania to be honest. If it is supposed to be the end of the season though, a Rock Vs John Cena match has been teased for following season, and the season ended with Alberto Del Rio wanting to get his revenge on Edge and Christian, as well as Michael Cole stealing one. Not everything can be settled, they want people to have watched last night to want to see the story continue at Extreme Rules and onwards. It would be too predictable to have had Alberto Del Rio win the title at the biggest show of the year, obviously it's good to do sometimes, but then there would be no point in watching Smackdown and the following PPVs.

It would be too predictable to have had Alberto Del Rio win the title at the biggest show of the year, obviously it's good to do sometimes, but then there would be no point in watching Smackdown and the following PPVs.

And you think people will tune in to see Del Rio chase Edge? No, there's far more money in doing it the other way.

Explain why it's "good to do sometimes" but it wasn't with Del Rio?

Archived