WrestleMania post show discussion

JNLister

It would be too predictable to have had Alberto Del Rio win the title at the biggest show of the year, obviously it's good to do sometimes, but then there would be no point in watching Smackdown and the following PPVs.

And you think people will tune in to see Del Rio chase Edge? No, there's far more money in doing it the other way.

Explain why it's "good to do sometimes" but it wasn't with Del Rio?

It's alright to have the big Royal Rumble win and build up, followed by the Wrestlemania title win nown again, like they did with Shawn, Austin, Batista etc. It isn't a knock on Alberto Del Rio at all, and he does deserve his first run with the title soon, but that same process can be abit predictable. I hope you understand what I mean. And maybe theres not money in seeing Del Rio run after Edge, but some people (me included if they do it right) are interested in how he will respond, and how he will get the upper hand again. It's a soap oprah remember, thats how it works.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Part of the reason lots of us think of 'Mania in terms of finality and settlings things/starting new stuff - even though I dont think of series or "seasons" (ghastly Americanism) but as continuous - is that 'Mania being that point makes it special, puts an exclamation point on things. If nothing is really settled, especially when things carry over to Extreme Rules, it can seem somewhat like any other PPV, just slightly overblown.

Worse still is the apparent idea of using a PPV (which people pay for) to make sure people watch the tv (which they dont) to see what happens, when it really should be the other way round. For lack of a better word, it feels a bit.... TNA?

• Paid Members
Best opening match to a WrestleMania ever

Not seen Wrestlemania 10 then? :rolleyes:

Eddie/Rey from WM21 was better than Edge/Del Rio as well. Maybe a couple of others, but can't really think at the moment.

Opener was good, but not close to being best Mania opener ever imo.

Nah, Eddie/Rey had too little flow and too much mask fiddling on Rey's part for my liking. To my shame, I've not seen Bret/Owen though. (Not from WM10 at least)

they want people to have watched last night to want to see the story continue at Extreme Rules and onwards.

Most People that buy WM dont buy any other PPV's, I think the numbers should suggest that, people that dont watch wrestling all year buy WM to see WM, not what WWE have planned 2months down the line.

What WWE should be aiming for is when these old or rare buyers comeback, is that they see some new interesting wrestlers, that they think hey this Miz bloke aint bad, maybe I might watch more to see this guy etc.

Instead they see all there old favs and see new guys like Del Rio, Miz and have no interest in them.

I expect when TheRock leaves tonight RAW's ratings will resume normal business, as for me since TheRock came back they haven't showcased anything from the new talent that would make old viewers hang around.

It's a soap oprah remember, thats how it works.

oprah-crack.jpg

:laugh: You can blame Google Chrome's spell check for that one, I wrote it the proper way and it came up as a wrong spelling and suggested I change it to that.

they want people to have watched last night to want to see the story continue at Extreme Rules and onwards.

Most People that buy WM dont buy any other PPV's, I think the numbers should suggest that, people that dont watch wrestling all year buy WM to see WM, not what WWE have planned 2months down the line.

The thing is though, they continue storylines past Wrestlemania because those who payed for that PPV, might want to stick around and buy the next offering to find out if *insert wrestler here* gets his revenge. That shouldn't be the way that things are just done, they shouldn't just want them to order Wrestlemania, and then not buy another one until next year.

• Paid Members

I haven't watched a full WM in some years. I enjoyed it on a whole, but it really lacked those 'Wrestlemania moments'. It was pretty flat throughout.

-Edge/Del Rio was a decent match, putting it on first though. Really? The E&C vandalism whilst Del Rio looked on and cried was weak.

-Rhodes/Rey I enjoyed. I've not seen much of Rhodes before, Those fucking lifts are ridicluous. They look orthopedic!

-Lawler/Cole should have been a 2 min beat down after the initial foolery. Too much there. The Austin/Booker stuff after seemed awkward too.

-Taker/HHH I massively enjoyed. No slow build, straight into the spots outside and then trading off the near falls. Very engrossing, I also pictured the fallout had HHH got the 3 after the Tombstone. Great stuff. Loved the massive oversells.

- Cena/Miz bored me to tears although I dug their entrances. Very uninteresting and shitty double DQ. Rock's stuff came off like it really confused everyone. Then he proceeded to bury the Champ and Cena. Will he really stick round long enough?

• Paid Members

Eddie/Rey from WM21 was better than Edge/Del Rio as well. Maybe a couple of others, but can't really think at the moment.

Nah, Eddie/Rey had too little flow and too much mask fiddling on Rey's part for my liking. To my shame, I've not seen Bret/Owen though. (Not from WM10 at least)

Rockers vs Haku/Barbarian was better than Del Rio/Edge.

The thing is though, they continue storylines past Wrestlemania because those who payed for that PPV, might want to stick around and buy the next offering to find out if *insert wrestler here* gets his revenge. That shouldn't be the way that things are just done, they shouldn't just want them to order Wrestlemania, and then not buy another one until next year.

Who cares about revenge? if the wrestler is interesting enough I will want to see them, whatever the fuck he is doing, emotional investment in that character, thats more important than some random bloke getting payback for Edge and his best friend smashing up his car, I mean Ive just got to see how that turns out :rolleyes: , and pay for it too, just like I have to pay to watch Eastenders at the end of every month.

• Paid Members

Rockers vs Haku/Barbarian was better than Del Rio/Edge.

Oh yeah and Finlay vs JBL was too. IMO!

So what are you waiting for you plonker? Go watch one of the best WrestleMania matches of all time.

• Paid Members

So what are you waiting for you plonker? Go watch one of the best WrestleMania matches of all time.

..alright!

Archived