WrestleMania post show discussion

JNLister

Just got round to watching it. Have had the blinkers on here and on facebook and purposely haven't looked anything before i viewed nor, must i admit, any of the previous posts on this topic so apologies if i am stating the obvious or going over old ground.

I don't really know what to make of it to be honest. It wasn't particularly bad nor was it jaw droppingly good. Something just didn't feel right. It felt very flat all round. We had watched the 'True Story of Wrestlemania' torrent a week or so back and remembered all the comments about stadium shows or open air venues having a different vibe with the acoustics but i don't even think it could be attributed to that; something just seemed to be missing which makes Wrestlemania a Wrestlemania and sets it apart from all the other shows.

It didn't seem like a proper Wrestlemania to me at all. I think the Rock at the start and his pointless long winded promo rubbed me up the wrong way and then little things like Edge/Christian piece vandalising the Rolls Royce didn't help but it all just struck me as a long winded and slightly more glammed up weekly TV show, almost like a RAW on steroids with the HHH/Taker thrown into the mix. That very much DID have the Wrestlemania feel to it but it was sandwiched in between so much that did not.

I was also hoping to see Daniel Bryan as being someone who started to get right back into WWE following on from the initial Nexus run i found him, along with Ziggler, to be two of the most entertaining things the WWE had to offer in all that time since i took an active interest in the weekly TV again. Even more to the point was from my friend who is very much a casual fan commenting on the amount of general fucking about and wasting time with segments (Rock) and matches (Lawler/Cole) running much longer than was needed and having a lot of time which could have been much better utilised. I / we skipped the stuff with the skank from the Jersey Shore but i'm sure i didn't miss much and probably more time wasted for people who had better deserved an opportunity.

HHH v Taker was obviously the match that the PPV was stacked on and i don't think it disappointed although not quite to the level of the HBK matches it was still the show stealer. As soon as i saw the heavyweight title match on first ala the elimination chamber PPV's i thought maybe that had took a tactical rethink overall regarding the match-by-match layout on the card thinking back to HHH v Jericho going out last at WM18 to a dead crowd following Rock v Hogan and that maybe, just maybe that would put HHH v Taker on last rather than going to risk the same thing recurring but in the end they didn't and i thought the Cena v Miz match just ended up peetering out to a damp squib in pretty much the same fashion as the WM18 title match. Even with that being said there is very little, if anything, that justifies or cements Miz being in that position to me. Especially being in the mix with Cena AND Rock it just seemed like little boy list in with the big boys. Granted he's really shot up the ladder and fast tracked it to the top but he just seems a long, long way of being Wrestlemania main event caliber especially when you think of some of the talent that was underneath him on the card.

Overall more good than bad but as mentioned earlier it just seemed like one big glitzed up extended RAW with the exception of HHH v Taker.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I pretty much hated the show. The only thing well executed was the production.

Alberto not winning is beyond retarded. The guy looks like a main eventer, carries himself like a main eventer but if they don't treat him like one then they blow their chance and he's a mid carder for life. What has Edge got to gain out of holding the title anymore? Wrestling 101 is that shows work better with a heel champion on top while the babyfaces chase after him. Edge doesn't need the strap to be over, Alberto deserved the win and the fucking idiots on the booking team have really shot themselves in the foot. Apart from Alberto what other new wrestler currently is there who could feasibly be Champion? None. FUCKING MORONS!

The crowd as many have said sucked and made most matches seem dull.

The Rock is boring now. Fuck off.

The Corre match has been building since before February and there was that killer angle where they destroyed Big Show & Kane on Smackdown...why book a 2 minute squash? Fucking retarded. It followed a pretty much all night long trend of the babyfaces winning and gaining nothing and the heels looking like shit and losing all their heat. I know the heels can't always win but the whole show Cody Rhodes was the only heel who won his match and came out of it looking good. After this show Alberto Del Rio, The Corre and The Miz all look like dickheads when they should have been proudly victorious.

Cole/Lawler was a match I was very excited for but everything seemed so dragged out and boring and the ending was bullshit. Did we really need 6 hours of Cole's shitty offense? 2 minutes would have been enough. Not the 10 they did. While Cole is great, in-ring he just doesn't belong. I feel like if Vince McMahon was in his spot the match would have been a soap opera style classic.

Taker/HHH was a good match although a tad long. Triple H definitely held it all together and I loved how dominant he was at the start and the deperation ending was also top notch.

Personally I was so excited about the show beforehand and thought the majority of the build had been excellent, but they flushed everything down the fucking toilet with such piss poor booking.

• Paid Members

There's a lot of negativity in here I notice, we actually really enjoyed the show. There was 3 of us, we'd got plenty of booze, pizza, some Southern Fried Chicken and I'd even made a WrestleMania border for my projection screen.

208494_10150132849677215_725022214_6539241_2774463_n.jpg

For us, The Rock's opening promo really got us in the mood, we played sing-a-long with The Rock and really set the tone for the rest of the night.

Admittedly, there are parts of it I need to rewatch, but overall I found the matches enjoyable. I will admit something about the end of the WWE Title match just didn't feel right, but I certainly wouldn't agree with some that Cena and The Miz got made to look like crap by a non-wrestler. First and foremost, this is The Rock, he may not be on the roster but he certainly doesn't fit the non-wrestler mold. Secondly, John Cena wasn't beaten with 1 Rock Bottom, he was beaten with a Rock Bottom after being so out of it he couldn't make the 10 count only a couple of minutes earlier.

• Paid Members
I still can't get my head round the Snoop Dog talent contest segment.

What was it trying to achieve? It centainly wasn't funny.

Oh that really happened? I thought it was my drunken mind getting confused! That segment had Raw written all over it! I did have a chuckle though :D

I still can't get my head round the Snoop Dog talent contest segment.

What was it trying to achieve? It centainly wasn't funny.

After the total and utter shambles of Drew Carey getting into the Hall of Fame, they are probably trying to cram Snoop Dog into some worthwhile programming so that when his inevitable induction comes they will have more footage than a bloke getting in the ring, offering a wrestler money, and then climbing out to use as a highlight of their WWE involvement

Aside from a few moments this years Wrestlemania was barely worth the time I spent downloading and watching it.

I was sick of the sight of Rocky by about the third minute of his opening speech. Rock's just going through the motions and I'm getting pretty tired of it.

Thankfully Alboreto didn't win the World Heavyweight title, but the half-arsed vandalism of Del Rio's car was childish. I don't watch Smackdown so I don't really care about their title picture anyway. Del Rio sucks. The car coming down the driveway was pretty cool though.

Cody Rhodes and Rey Mysterio involved two guys that I have literally no interest in. Watched it anyway, already forgot who won.

I went for a piss just after The Corre's entrance and when I came back the fucking match was already over. Someone in The Corre has really pissed someone off because they got epically shafted at Wrestlemania. To think that Wade Barrett was once one of the biggest heels in the company just a few months ago is tragic.

I liked Punk/Orton but felt that the match would have benefited from being an "I Quit" match. The match itself was very brutal and hard hitting but the ending was terrible for two reasons; firstly it's a shit setup that serves no purpose than to make the RKO look good, and secondly where is CM Punk supposed to go from here?

Sheamus and Daniel Bryan were relegated to a four-minute pre-show dark match yet motherfucking Hornswoggle gets a few minutes of camera time to do a shitty rap?

Cole/Lawler was the only match on the card that I was really looking forward to seeing, Cole has been on fire lately and although it was obvious that Cole wasn't going to win (short of a screwy victory) I was looking forward to seeing how it'd play out. The match was overlong and an absolute chore to sit through, in the end I fast-forwarded to the end which inexplicably didn't end with Lawler giving Cole the piledriver and Cole doing an Andy Kaufman style "busted neck" routine for the next few weeks on Raw. Austin and Lawler beating up on poor Josh Matthews was pointless and only made Austin and Lawler look like dicks. Also, former WCW champion Booker T eating a stunner in Atlanta? I hope I wasn't the only one who thought that there was way more to this than meets the eye.

Snooki should have pinned McCool immediately after the impressive back elbow that McCool kinda ruined by jumping into. The splash was unnecessary and looked stupid after the previous move. Oh, I think John Morrison and Dolph Ziggler were involved in this one somewhere too.

HHH/Taker was another match that I didn't want to see involving two guys that I don't care about, I watched the match but found myself reaching for the fast-forward button for most of it. I know this match had the No-DQ stipulation but why wouldn't the referee count when 'Taker had Trips in the submission? Trips was on top, Taker had his shoulders on the mat for what seemed like an eternity but at no point did the referee go for a pinfall. I also hated Taker blatantly shifting position so that Hunter could finally grab the sledgehammer, Taker even looked at the thing at one point yet still continued shuffling towards it! In the end Undertaker wins just like everyone knew he was going to.

Cena/Miz was okay, although it seemed to exist solely to give the Rock an opportunity to screw Cena over. Are Rocky and Cena actually having a match at all? If so, when? Wouldn't the best place for something like that be, y'know, Wrestlemania?

All in all Wrestlemania was passable but it suffered from some poor and nearsighted booking decisions exasperated by a seemingly less than enthusiastic audience. It was an okay way to spend an afternoon but it didn't feel important and I don't think I'll remember it.

• Paid Members
Aside from a few moments this years Wrestlemania was barely worth the time I spent downloading and watching it.

*Lots of negative stuff*

All in all Wrestlemania was passable but it suffered from some poor and nearsighted booking decisions exasperated by a seemingly less than enthusiastic audience. It was an okay way to spend an afternoon but it didn't feel important and I don't think I'll remember it.

Probably shouldn't watch next years to be honest.

• Awards Moderator
Anyone else see the sign that read "purple aki" it was visable a lot during CM Punk vs Orton and Taker vs HHH

Yes! I initially thought I misread it as I watched the show with a few beers, but having just watched Raw, it was there again. A better sign than the Chris Eubank one and I reckon Butch will appreciate it, too. We were only talking about Purp' in the Rugby League thread on Friday.

Archived