WrestleMania post show discussion

JNLister

You idiots, you've all forgotten the proper good moments of the night:-

3) Alex Riley looking surprised when one person cheered the announcement of his name.

That was hilarious! :laugh:

Seriously tho a very disappointing Mania.The backstage skits were awful.If they really want to be known as an entertainment company then they really should work on actually providing some comedy with these things.Pee Wee Herman really!A great use of The Rock then.Although I totally marked out for the pop Zack Ryder got.

Edge Vs Rio was good tho i'm disappointed they didn't pull the trigger and let Del Rio win the big one.Great to see Cody Rhodes pick up a win at Mania and the match was pretty solid with a logical finish(the kneebrace).Orton vs Punk was pretty good aswell tho i think the win would have done more for Punk.The Corre were needlesly massacred.Tho it was pretty obvious it now appears that the IC and Tag Team titles are worthless.they might as well have Kama return and melt the Tag titles into another chain.Cole Vs Lawler went on far too long.Thank god for The Undertaker Vs Triple H.A great match that had me holding out hope that the card might stage somewhat of a comeback.Alas it was not to be.The Six Person match was another useless rush.The main event almost defies explanation.John Cena,even this far into his career seems oblivious to in ring psychology.Cena sold Miz's punches as if he were in ther with Muhammed ali in his prime and then mounted a super Cena comeback after the restart.The restart was a dumb move that helped neither the wrestlers,sorry entertainers :laugh: ,nor the match.

Mabye i'll feel a little better after rewatching it but first impressions are I was vey disappointed.

Feel a little better after getting all that out :D

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because you're knocking others for enjoying the show just because some dickheads on various forums didn't enjoy it. I believe the phrase you used was "universally panned".

Yup, I generally read a good number of places to try and get an overall view of feedback etc, and the same points have been raised here and on a good number of other places. I'd go as far as to say it's the most negative feedback I've personally read for a 'Mania in years.

Calling people 'dickheads' for not enjoying it is as bad as me knocking others for enjoying it, no?

15 quid well spent.

WWE has the potential to have a cracking year. They can do John Cena v The Rock at Summer Slam then finally have the big 'Taker v John Cena match in Miami next year. Cena finally turns sometime during then, of course.

I'd book a full-on heel John Cena to beat The Rock clean at SummerSlam.

I really wanted to like it but I thought that was a really bad show and one of the worst Wrestlemania's ever. I've never seen Cena look so bad and the crowd didn't give a shit in that match. Lawler/Cole was all over the place. It should have been Lawler decimating Cole and then we got that awful DQ thing, yuck. Taker/HHH didn't work for me at all, super predictable and boring, overkill.

I enjoyed it overall. Was interesting watching it with three relative non-fans (who were all there to see The Rock).

Should have had Sheamus/Bryan to open instead of that promo. Very unusual, didn't dig it.

ADR/Edge was a lot of fun and a hot opener. Doesn't matter about the Title being on first, it wasn't a huge draw (and the Rumble win has been meaningless for a while).

Rey/Cody was exactly as I expected, which is a good thing. Called Rey being Captain America a few days ago (well, I was torn between that and Green Hornet/Green Lantern). Rey's springboard headscissors was great, as was the finish.

8 Man was just an excuse to get a bunch of the guys on the show for a Mania payday. Santino's walk was unbelievable and I NEED a GIF of it.

Orton/Punk I really liked. Nice slow burner. Punk's working of the knee was evil! So was his RKO counter with a kick right to Orton's jaw. Punk is fantastic.

Cole/Lawler was this years Bret/Vince for me. Just wasn't into it. Went on FOREVER.

HHH/Undertaker...unreal. These guys really went at it tooth and nail. It was brutal, in a good way. HHH's crazy backdrop off the table, Undertaker FLYING into the barricade and getting destroyed with chair shots. Man. This also really drew the non-wrestling fans in as well and we all thought HHH had him beat with the Tombstone. One of my mates was literally on the edge of his seat with his head in his hands. Entrances were tremendous as well. Loved the visual of Tripper in the Hell's Gate and trying to pick up the hammer.

Snooki match was what I expected. Not offensive. My house popped for the handspring elbow and Trish's arse.

Main Event was just bad. Everything seemed a little off. Great video for Miz to begin and he really does carry himself like a star. Then WWE try to have DMX tell us that Cena is Jesus Christ himself and the Hyperbole was just too much. Match was weak. Cena's timing is terrible and he didn't look right to me. Finish was an insult and a bit of a cop-out. I still hope it leads to Rock/Cena at Summerslam because that match could be incredible. ( also called Cena debuting a new red t-shirt beforehand.

Typical whingey wrestling fan.

Bullshit. Go read my analysis of the show, and tell me I'm a 'typical whingey wrestling fan' after you have, because it's pretty fucking clear that I'm not.

You're still a typical whingey wrestling fan.

Please elaborate then.

My posts are mostly positive about the product, and yet because I don't like one of their worst PPVs in a long time - not just worst Manias - you're calling me a "typical whingey wrestling fan" ..?

Utter tripe.

Because you're knocking others for enjoying the show just because some dickheads on various forums didn't enjoy it. I believe the phrase you used was "universally panned".

Yup, I generally read a good number of places to try and get an overall view of feedback etc, and the same points have been raised here and on a good number of other places. I'd go as far as to say it's the most negative feedback I've personally read for a 'Mania in years.

Calling people 'dickheads' for not enjoying it is as bad as me knocking others for enjoying it, no?

I like to see what other people thought of it, but I wouldn't judge anyone for enjoying something just because others didn't, nor would I let the opinions of others change those of my own. And I really don't see why it's got really negative feedback. As I mentioned previously in the thread, it was probably the best WrestleMania since XXIV. The main reason people probably feel jaded with it is becuase the end of the event was poor.

And I didn't call people 'dickheads' for not enjoying the show. I used that term because I'm obnoxious.

I enjoyed it. It entertained me for four hours and that is what I want. Alright, it isn't going to go down as the most memorable Wrestlemania of all time but it certainly wasn't anywhere near the worst like I've heard some people saying. The two multi person tags were too short to have any impact so you can't really rate them but Punk/Orton and Edge/Del Rio were both good matches, Rhodes/Mysterio was very good and HHH/Taker was fantastic.

Cole/Lawler and Miz/Cena were the sour notes. Cole vs Lawler was fun when Lawler was in control, particularly at the beginning where Cole was trying to hide in the Cole Mine but yeah, when he was in control the match absolutely sucked. Shouldn't have given someone that can't wrestle a lick so much offence. It was always going to be the gimmicky match this year but I would have preferred Cole getting his ass kicked and all the people he's wronged, such as Bryan, R-Truth, the Divas etc. getting revenge on him rather than what we got. Not really sure why they had him win by DQ either considering the whole point of the storyline was Lawler finally getting his Mania moment.

As for the main event, it started very late in the show and had a couple of moments of promise but overall, wasn't great. The double countout and RAW GM stuff didn't help because you don't want that stuff in the main event of the biggest show of the year. Thankfully, The Rock costing Cena the title saved it and made tonight's RAW must see as I've been expecting them to let bygones be bygones ever since he returned but it wasn't a great match.

Was great to see JR and King together again too. Anyway, as I said, parts of Cole/Lawler and the main event aside, I didn't have a problem with this event.

I don't know whether it's due to the road agents or due to most of these wrestlers when they plan in the back how their match is going to go not having a clue, but how is it that two men in their 40s, one broken down and having not wrestled since October and the other guy not having wrestled in close to a year can have the best match on the card. When it's all planned out beforehand and everybody knows what their role is, do Undertaker & Triple H go through everything with Vince and make sure that nobody else is match on the card can have any chance at upstaging them? It's something that has been bugging me for awhile as most matches nowadays really are not that good and when i see two old men putting in entertaining, edge of the seat performance, it makes me question what is going on with everybody else. You see the main event and it's like when they went through that in the back, surely everybody could figure out that it would be a poor match and thats based on nobody messing up their moves etc.

As soon as Del Rio came out first and hearing Cole tell us how Edge has never successfully defended a world title at Wrestlemania, you could figure out Edge was retaining. I thought it was the second best match of the night. I haven't watched Smackdown in the last five weeks or so, but how has Del Rio been pushed? I heard he had lost to Christian a couple of times, but usually that means when it comes to the big one, he will get the win, see Miz back when he was losing to Daniel Bryan only to then defeat Orton for the title a few weeks later and retain it for over four months and counting.

Taker/Triple H was good, not as good as Taker/HBK the two Wrestlemania previous, but a solid match that kept me intreged right up until the last moment. I thought beforehand Taker would win with the hell gates submission move, but I wasn't expecting Triple H to tap, I thought he would pass out in the move so that the ref would have no choice but to stop it and award Taker the win. For a split second when the tombstone was hit, I thought the streak was over. I don't know what was going onat the end, if it was Taker just selling then he did a great job, but I think he may have been hurt. The way the one doctor kept checking him was weird, but it was more how long it took for the cart to come out, which made me think it may have been more then him just selling it. Maybe he was exhausted as he seemed to be gasping for air in parts. The Triple H telling Taker to stay down was quality as were his facial expressions. It really added great detail to what was an enjoyable match.

Overall I thought the show was alright. I can't say I'm too disappointed as the three things I wanted to see were Taker/Triple H, The Rock hosting the show throughout and to see him hit the Rock Bottom on John Cena. Raw will be interesting tonight, with it being the last show Rock is booked for till who knows when, I'm expecting a massive ending to the show.

To Die-Hard Cena fans,

Go and Re-watch last nights main event match and it just goes to prove/show that John Cena is really really x1000 the SHITS in the ring, hes becoming completely embarrassing, the part were he missed the shoulder block was so poor. He's actually became worse over the years, he takes basic moves poorly (see Spears in his feud with Batista last year and Rock Bottom last night), he still cant do his finish properly(STF), his striking offense is appalling and last night he was selling punches like hed been hit with metal pole 2 minutes in, and the dreaded super-cena comeback is just dire, he basically is just a bonafide merchandise seller to 10 year olds and under and the odd fan who thinks, well i dont actually know what there thinking if they like him tbh, his promos are lame and not funny, for a man who supposedly has stroke backstage surely he can see that his material is bad and have a word with the writers.

if anyone disagrees with this and is actually a fan of Cena id really really like to know why you like him, thanks

i enjoyed it for the most part, taker/hhh being best match imo but was left with a feeling of it could have been better

agree with the sentiments about the commentary, jr was very rusty but i was just glad to hear his voice on a ppv again

hated the wwe title match, you dont book a double count out finish as part of the main of your biggest show of the year, its just wrong

could have done without the skits and should have cut rock's promo down by ten mins, that way the 8 man could have had more time and left space for the us title match

also those saying it was the worst mania of all time are chatting balls, nothing will ever beat mania 9 for sheer shiteness

also those saying it was the worst mania of all time are chatting balls, nothing will ever beat mania 9 for sheer shiteness

I haven't seen 9 since the year it came out. I was 6 back then so my memory isn't as good as it could be.

It's easily the worst I've seen in over 10 years.

• Paid Members

Good PPV. Nice setup, great crowd, colourful outfits, two title changes, happy ending, two Doinks, togas, great commentary and we saw what was in IRS' briefcase. One of the better WrestleManias for me.

Archived