WrestleMania post show discussion

JNLister

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This also goes for other people like Wade Barrett who, when all things are taken into account, has to be considered as having the biggest fall from grace over the last couple of months: the same applies to guys like Sheamus and Daniel Bryan, who were considered so peripheral that they were bumped from the show entirely.

It has to be considered a massive slap in the face to the likes of Bryan and Sheamus. Bryan in particular who has been having consistently good PPV matches since he came back at SummerSlam. On TV every week, holding a title and then get told he's not good enough for a match at Mania.

• Paid Members
did anyone else think that Cena & The Miz botched the ending of the main event? the 2 clotheline over the barricade just looked stupid, anyone think that Cena was meant to go over first time?

They fucked up with the camera angle too (odd given how first class the rest of the production was), JR tried to cover it up.

I think that was John Cenas worst main event performance. I thought before the match that if you needed to count on somebody to get the match needed, it is Cena - 98% of the time his main event matches are exciting. He botched quite a few things, the first finish and that missed shoulder block that was so mis-timed you can hear people laughing after the spot.

• Paid Members

Fuck. HHH and Taker brought it, incredible match, even more so when you consider the shape Taker is in and that H hasn't wrestled for around a year. They played off the build-up perfectly, HHH IS more vicious than Shawn Michaels, and it showed, HHH dominated Taker to the point where the result was in doubt, and given that the result was a foregone conclusion going in proves how great these two are yet again, I must have looked like a right plonker during the 3rd Pedigree pin and then even more so after Hunter busted out the BurialDriver, I "knew" it was over, I swear, my mind had already drifted towards coming here to read the outrage, only for Takes to kick out, gutted.

Reading the posts comparing it to an "ROH match" may be the most offensive thing I've ever seen written online. The selling was out of this world!, how many times did Taker even get up to his feet after HHH took advantage?. The post-match stuff proves that "theory" wrong as well, this is the big time where moves actually matter, Taker had took 3 Pedigrees, a Tombstone, and landed on his bonce from a dive (again!), did people really just expect him to walk up the ramp fine?.

HHH's facial expressions were the icing on top of a beautiful cake. From his complete focus early on on ending the streak, to the utter bemusement on his face as Taker keeps kicking out and he slowly comes to realise what his best friend already knew, Undertaker just can't be beat at Wrestlemania, no matter what you do.

15 quid well spent.

Typical whingey wrestling fan.

Bullshit. Go read my analysis of the show, and tell me I'm a 'typical whingey wrestling fan' after you have, because it's pretty fucking clear that I'm not.

You're still a typical whingey wrestling fan.

Also am I the only one who loved A-Ri's awesome attire? He looked like an extra from Aladdin.

Fuck. HHH and Taker brought it, incredible match, even more so when you consider the shape Taker is in and that H hasn't wrestled for around a year. They played off the build-up perfectly, HHH IS more vicious than Shawn Michaels, and it showed, HHH dominated Taker to the point where the result was in doubt, and given that the result was a foregone conclusion going in proves how great these two are yet again, I must have looked like a right plonker during the 3rd Pedigree pin and then even more so after Hunter busted out the BurialDriver, I "knew" it was over, I swear, my mind had already drifted towards coming here to read the outrage, only for Takes to kick out, gutted.

Reading the posts comparing it to an "ROH match" may be the most offensive thing I've ever seen written online. The selling was out of this world!, how many times did Taker even get up to his feet after HHH took advantage?. The post-match stuff proves that "theory" wrong as well, this is the big time where moves actually matter, Taker had took 3 Pedigrees, a Tombstone, and landed on his bonce from a dive (again!), did people really just expect him to walk up the ramp fine?.

HHH's facial expressions were the icing on top of a beautiful cake. From his complete focus early on on ending the streak, to the utter bemusement on his face as Taker keeps kicking out and he slowly comes to realise what his best friend already knew, Undertaker just can't be beat at Wrestlemania, no matter what you do.

Totally agree with this.

Bullshit. Go read my analysis of the show, and tell me I'm a 'typical whingey wrestling fan' after you have, because it's pretty fucking clear that I'm not.

Please elaborate then.

My posts are mostly positive about the product, and yet because I don't like one of their worst PPVs in a long time - not just worst Manias - you're calling me a "typical whingey wrestling fan" ..?

There is just no chance that would ever have happened though. Think about it - they are two of the most established stars in wrestling history. Del Rio has done very well to get in the title match at WrestleMania, but when you consider it, he hasn't even been on TV for a full calendar year yet.

That’s the point I was trying to make, the poster I quoted seemed to be suggesting that it doesn’t matter where a match is positioned on the card, and I was trying to highlight that if you are selling a match as a main event, having it as the opener is going to hurt it.

Add me to the people who really enjoyed it. I don't watch WWE these days, but I watched the last 3 Raws to prepare for Mania, and watched live for the first time ever. I got a bit bored during Mysterio-Rhodes, but after that it held my interest all the way.

There were things I didn't like much - Rock's opening promo, World title in opening match, Edge and Christian needlessly wrecking Del Rio's car, the use of 'entertainment' instead of 'wrestling', Bryan-Sheamus being bumped, the 8 man tag being over in seconds, the cheap looking inflatable letters spelling 'Awesome', and the flat main event with dodgy finish.

But there was plenty I did like - the set was fantastic - loved the use of the entrance way screen, Edge-Del Rio had a hot finish, the Austin-Rock moment backstage, Zeke clotheslining Big Show out of his boots, Show's KO punch on Slater, Sunny looking great, Orton-Punk was a good match, Morrison's Starship Pain to the outside, HHH using For Whom The Bell Tolls in an awesome entrance that trumped Undertaker's, the HHH-Taker match was great (liked them destroying the Cole Mine), the Team Cole hoodie was ace, Austin dishing out Stunners to everyone (especially Booker T), JR and Lawler commentating together again (although admittedly JR was a little off his game), the Miz build-up vid, the sick clothesline over the barrier that snapped Miz in half, and The Rock whooping some candy ass.

From a business point of view, it hasn't done much for their future. But for me wanting a night's entertainment, I happily got my money's worth.

• Paid Members
15 quid well spent.

I think the best thing about the story of the match is they've finally made 'Taker appear vulnerable at 'Mania. So it enhances the feeling in the viewer that 'Taker can be beaten at 'Mania. Meaning you're more likely to give a toss, as it isn't so obvious.

WWE has the potential to have a cracking year. They can do John Cena v The Rock at Summer Slam then finally have the big 'Taker v John Cena match in Miami next year. Cena finally turns sometime during then, of course.

Please elaborate then.

My posts are mostly positive about the product, and yet because I don't like one of their worst PPVs in a long time - not just worst Manias - you're calling me a "typical whingey wrestling fan" ..?

Because you're knocking others for enjoying the show just because some dickheads on various forums didn't enjoy it. I believe the phrase you used was "universally panned".

I found it very disappointing.

While HHH vs Taker was by far the best match on the show, I agree with Ebb in that it went into the finisher-2count-finisher-2count-finisher stage quite early. I completely bought into the streak actually being over when Triple H connected with the tombstone and that got a massive pop from all 4 of us watching at my house.

Besides that nothing happened which made me want to see where they are going next. None of the current feuds which appear to be continuing have maintained my interest and they didn't seem to set anything new up (besides a possible Rock vs Cena match) so I'm going to go back to just reading Raw spoilers before deciding whether to watch each week.

Somebody mentioned earlier in the topic that they thought CM Punk was the mvp of the show. I thought the same thing. While it was nowhere near being his best match I rate it as once of his best performances with everything being so smooth and his facial expressions were brilliant.

He did a move in the corner which I have never seen before. He jumped to his knees jarring Orton's knee as he held it over his shoulder. Simple but really painful looking.

How about Santino's strut down the ramp? That is a GIF that needs making along the same vein as Charles Robinson's sprint down the ramp at WM24.

Was bought it cause I've been sick, my opinions are basically it was good, but I can't understand most of the results.

Rock opening- Should've been five minutes, this just went on and on and on.

Edge vs. Alberto Del Rio- Very good match and a cracking opener. Christian and Brodius added without taking anything away which is always a result and I was surprised by the finish. I like Edge as a champion and Alberto didn't lose any of his heat imo. Good psychology as well, and I enjoyed the car destroying antics at the end.

Cody Rhodes vs. Rey Mysterio- I enjoyed the match, I thought Cody looked very convincing in this role and Mysterio was holding his end up well, a bit weird when Rey put on Cody's mask it seemed quite heelish but still, Good match.

8 Man Tag- Shocking. Right people won but what was the point of giving Kofi a big entrance and then have him out there for 3 minutes?

CM Punk vs. Randy Orton- For me this was match of the night, Punks mannerisms and the story (with the exception of the Anaconda vice occurence) and Orton's work made me think this was an excellent little match. Another highlight was the suplex spot in front of a giant 'Randy Orton's Orange-O-Meter' sign.

Jerry Lawler vs. Michael Cole- Let down by letting Cole have too much offence, at one point I'm sure the crowd chanted boring cause it was. The turn over decision pisses me off cause that means the Cole character will continue and it's shit. No one gets over with Cole on commentary, WWE need to turn him GM or some Vickie like character ASAP.

Undertaker vs. Triple H- Excellent too. Good wild and unpredictable brawl, with both men looking tough as nails. I must admit I was worried Taker lost after the third pedigree, but this match was intense and different from the Taker-Michaels matches from before.

Dolph Ziggler and Laycool vs. John Morrison, Trish Stratus and Snooki- Meh, Fair play to Snooki those cartwheels were impressive. But the match was average at best, Vickie had no input, Ziggler and Morrison had one exchange, Layla did nothing and that left McCool, who bores me to tears. Glad when it was over.

John Cena vs. Miz- Popped a little for Miz win, but this was flat. The entrances were big, but Cena looks fucking stupid running I've decided. Miz had some good offence and Riley played his small part well, but the ending was stupid. Cena in particular looked fucking ridiculous diving onto the floor and pretending to have died, only to be 100% after five minutes. The Rock could've done his Rock bottom after the match to end Mania, but he killed off both competitors.

Oh, and the backstage skits were utterly awful. Mae Young? Pee Wee Herman? Hornswoggle trying to over Regal's rap? People need to be fired over these.

Archived