Impact Wrestling Discussion **UK SPOILERS**

iamtheman

It was even better than that. After the Dudleys split, he went to Vince and asked for a match or a push or something, and Vince said "You need a character", basically telling him to go get a gimmick. Later in the program (or possibly the next week, but I think it was barely an hour later) Devon returned in a dog collar and cut Vince a horrible gimmick promo, and Vince spunked.

It was, at that point, one of the most kayfabe breaking things I'd seen, I was horrified.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think Devon's alright. He's basic but to-the-point on the mike, solid in the ring, has an over catchphrase, and looks a threat. Should be a decent mid-to-upper-midcarder.

Bully Ray's been greatness, through and through - he's very hateful indeed. I think he'll most likely be the "gatekeeper" to the main event, rather than a perennial main-eventer in himself, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a short and/or transitional reign at some point.

• Paid Members

Agree with Carbomb. I say give him the belt personally. Its been shown buyrates and ratings dont mean anything if they are on big stars like Hardy, Angle or Sting so why not give Bully Ray a go with it? Give the belt to the best performer and Bully Ray has been the best heel performer on the show for a while now. He puts Hardy and The Pope to shame. He's got the JBL effect, where he's such a prick you have to consider if your watching a performer portray of character or if he really is that much of a cock. When WWE gave JBL the belt, everyone thought he'd bomb and was out of his depth. Bully Ray can talk and can wrestle a main event style match. He's such an in your face character, who demands your attention that its impossible that he'd fall into the background like a lot of wrestlers in TNA have. As strange as it would have sounded a year ago, Bully Ray as champion wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. And he looks great. Cut off waistcoats and chains around the neck have long since been a dead thing in wrestling. Good to see a return.

And he has fans in high places:

My brother Bully Ray cut a great promo tonight. He gets it and is the best heel in TNA by far... - Chris Jericho

Bully Ray is on fire brother..fire! An unlikeable bad guy? Imagine..a bad guy who likes being bad, not cool. - Mick Foley

Bully Ray and Matt Hardy are two guys who seem to have a fire under them right now. They're committing to their characters and producing good matches. I'd rather they were pushed than guys whose disinterest is pasted all over their moon faces (mentioning no names, RVD, Jeff Hardy).

It was even better than that. After the Dudleys split, he went to Vince and asked for a match or a push or something, and Vince said "You need a character", basically telling him to go get a gimmick. Later in the program (or possibly the next week, but I think it was barely an hour later) Devon returned in a dog collar and cut Vince a horrible gimmick promo, and Vince spunked.

It was, at that point, one of the most kayfabe breaking things I'd seen, I was horrified.

See, I half-remembered that, but then I thought I was getting confused because that was the same thing that happened when Bradshaw became JBL. Only someone else (Paul Heyman?) was the boss who told him to find himself/get a new gimmick.

• Paid Members

Wasn't it Palmer Cannon who told JBL to get a new gimmick? He was always doing that - the "Network" angle was always a great device for re-packaging people. Whilst Burchill didn't do particularly well, it was a great rationale for his pirate gimmick.

Didn't like D-Von's run as the vicar, but it did sort of give us Batista. The only other thing I remember about it was that Goldust had to change his finisher from the Curtain Call because D-Von was using it already as the Saving Grace.

Bubba has always been a fantastic heel and it's great to see him finally getting a proper singles push. I wish he'd buy some kneepads though, for some reason wrestlers not wearing kneepads really irritates me.

Bubba Ray recently has been AWESOME. Yeah I get he is a nob in real life, I don't care about that. He is great at promos, infact the best in TNA and probably one of the best in pro wrestling as far as intensity and getting across he hates someone. He's not a great worker but TNA hide that well (as WWE did) by doing gimmick matches when it comes to PPV.

I get it is hard to accept a midcarder for life in a main event role but seriously what do TNA have to lose right now.

Bully Ray has been gold on the mic as of late which is fair enough...but for him to go from jobbing to Tommy Dreamer at the last PPV to now being involved in the main event mix is another example of how TNA are incapable of making anybody seem like an actual threat. What chance does Ray have against the likes of Sting if he cant get the job done against Tommy f'n Dreamer for Christs sake?

Despite the in ring segment tom foolery, I thought Pope was the best and most entertaining he's been as a character since turning heel in his exchange with Samoa Joe. Him telling Okato not to step on his shoes again was exactly the type of quips he was making in his initial run with TNA, which is what got him so over in the first place. I didn't mind the whole "knife" deal, and it actually gave Pope a bit of edge he's so desperately been lacking, even if it was a fake!

My biggest pet peeve with TNA in general is that all the faces side with the other faces, and heels vice versa for seemingly no reason what so ever. Why Cant Fourtune side with Sting simply because they have beef with Immortal rather than flat out "having Stings back"? Maybe it's because I was brought up on the Stone Cold Steve Austin loner faces in my youth, but it just annoys me, and in some ways takes away some of the cool factor about Fourtune. They are fine as faces, but should ultimately be out for themselves as a group. If because of common enemies that means they occasionally have to join forces with other faces then so be it, but it shouldn't mean they automatically pledge allegiance to Sting just because he's got grief with Immortal too.

Pope has been an atrocious heel since his recent turn. It's not really his fault though as the shit they've had him doing over the past couple of weeks has been unforgivable, the recent S&M-style whipping of Okato being the icing on the crapcake.

April 7th spoilers

Mexican America (Hernandez & Matt Baretta from OVW) defeated Tommy Dreamer and Brother Devon. They had the Mexican flag pulled down again during the match but post match Matt Morgan came and cleaned house.

*Samoa Joe beats Gunner with a choke and stares down Pope Dinero, who was doing commentary.

*TNA Knockouts Tag Team champs Rosita & Sarita defeated Angelina Love & Velvet Sky. Love acted all zoned out from Winter's spell. Winter came out on the stage. Love turned on Sky and left her laying, allowing the champions to get the win.

*Bully Ray defeated Christopher Daniels in a Lumberjack match after Hulk Hogan nailed Daniels with a chain. Daniels had hit the BME on Ray but Ric Flair pulled Earl Hebner out of the ring. Both Lumberjack sides brawl, setting up the referee missing Hulk's interference.

*Inside a Steel Cage, Jeff Jarrett cuts a promo gloating about Kurt Angle getting arrested for violating their restraining order last week. Jarrett said he was going to give Karen a special entrance but Kurt Angle's music starts. Jarrett looks around for him but Angle slides into the Impact Zone on a rope like Suicide does for his entrance. Kurt tries to corner Jeff but Jeff scrambles up and out of the cage and escapes.

*Rob Van Dam pinned TNA champion Sting in a non-title match with special referee Mr. Anderson. Anderson calls it right down the middle, only to nail Sting with a Mic Check. That allows RVD to hit the Five Star Frog Splash. Anderson then drills RVD with the TNA title belt and leaves him laying. Immortal comes out and raises Anderson on their shoulders. Hulk Hogan comes out clapping and shakes Anderson's hand.

Xplosion

*Suicide (Okada) & Brian Kendrick & Chris Sabin defeated Generation Me & Robbie E.

Xplosion:

*Ink Inc. defeated The British Invasion, Douglas Williams and Brutus Magnus.

Archived