Undertaker/Sting discussion thread, inc 14/02 *Raw Spoilers*

danchilton

You do have to wonder what the world of wrestling would have been like if the XWF had really taken off. Hogan would probably have gone back to WWE in the end, but most of the WCW crew such as Sting, Steiner, DDP and so on would surely have ended up in the XWF.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do have to wonder what the world of wrestling would have been like if the XWF had really taken off. Hogan would probably have gone back to WWE in the end, but most of the WCW crew such as Sting, Steiner, DDP and so on would surely have ended up in the XWF.

It would probably be exactly the same as it is now, just replace the letters "TNA" with "XWF".

is it sting or not, the rating wont go up. never a rating winner or ppv attraction, hes was the nearly guy

mark

Apart from setting the wrestling PPV record in 1997, being a constant television ratings winner throughout 1996-98 and being the only person in TNA to make a difference to there audience viewership upon his arrive, of course. Minor details, but worth mentioning.

ppv record was great and built around sting - he bombed as champion (AGAIN)

a rating winner - how ?

if he was great he could have saved WCW and one of reasons it failed

mark

If it IS Sting, someone will have to change that line on his Wikipedia article about being the most famous wrestler never to be in WWE :p

Just out of curiosity, to whom would that title now go to? Abdullah The Butcher?

It would have to be Big Daddy wouldn't it?

for me thats actually quite an interesting shout, but if your going to name british wrestlers then surely you have to name japanese ones too. but the thing with naming either british or japanese wrestlers is you have to aknowledge that they are not really that famous outside of their respective countries and the american counterparts are.

What about Kendo Nagasaki? Well known here and in the US. It always surprised me he didn't end up in the WWF. With a ready gimmick that was so 80's WWF, he would've fitted right in around 84 - 86. And since the WWF were trying to crack the UK around this time with SKY and taking slots on the traditional WOS programme. Would've been a great feud with Hogan!

In a lot ways XWF, much more so than the touring act that was WWA, was kind of TNA before there was TNA: a company taping its shows in Universal Studios while relying on established WWE/WCW names to draw but also featuring new guys and strong Cruiserweight and tag team divisions. To be honest if XWF had managed to score a national TV deal in late 2001/early 2002 I believe that by now they would've had a bigger fanbase than TNA currently does, at least in theory based on what they had going for them. For one trying to establish a brand new company on national TV in 2002 would've been easier than trying to establish one in late 2005 because in 2002 wrestling was hotter than in 2005 and you didn't have to deal with MMA being the hot, cool thing to watch. On top of that if XWF had managed to score Hogan and some of the other top WCW names they would've started strong right from the bat where as it took TNA several years to be able to attract top names like that and put them on a strong national TV platform such as Spike TV and by that time not a lot people cared about wrestling anymore. So in theory I think that XWF had a better shot of making it big than TNA did/does but not being able to score a TV deal pretty much killed that company off.

Edited by pgi86

• Paid Members
is it sting or not, the rating wont go up. never a rating winner or ppv attraction, hes was the nearly guy

mark

Apart from setting the wrestling PPV record in 1997, being a constant television ratings winner throughout 1996-98 and being the only person in TNA to make a difference to there audience viewership upon his arrive, of course. Minor details, but worth mentioning.

a rating winner - how ?

mark

How so mark?

As in WCW he didnt "Bomb" as champion, as he was the face of WCW, who in tunr where fueding with the NWO. He was a very successful champion if i remeber rightly. Sting was a big draw in WCW, although the reason it went under was a mix of to many top line guys havign a say in there matchs (hogan being the main one i think) and the "Russorific" TV that was being put out towards the end, Not even steve austin could of saved the place from going down the pan mate.

Which to be fair saddend me as i was a big WCW fan back in the day, but in dying years where so over the top and random, that it was diabolical.......even for WCW. You can be the biggest name in the world, but bad storylines/TV output will make you look like a bellend. Take jeff hardy for example, in WWE most likely he was the biggest thing going. In TNA he's TNA's top guy, although in the wrestling world hes dropped down a few notches.

• Paid Members

I'd say the biggest name never to work for WWE would be Hashimoto - as I understand it, it can be argued that he's one of the biggest draws ever, as he sold out the most arenas of all time, even more than Hogan. Obviously, Hogan's a bigger draw and money-maker, it's just in that one aspect, Hashimoto could, from that angle, have been seen as the biggest draw in wrestling.

• Moderators

El Santo pisses all over Hashimoto in the biggest name never to work in New York stakes in my eyes. I don;t think he worked for the McMahons to my knowledge.

Edited by ButchReedMark

• Paid Members

a rating winner - how ?

mark

Not one person could have saved WCW. Especially a performer. You muppet.

Sting didn't bomb as champion, as each time he won the belt the crowd went bananas. He was one of most charismatic guys in WCW. That's why no one will boo him when he's being put out as a heel. That's almost unheard of to be staunchly cheered no matter what your alignment is.

Not bad considering Sting never wanted to be a professional wrestler.

• Paid Members
El Santo pisses all over Hashimoto in the biggest name never to work in New York stakes in my eyes. I don;t think he worked for the McMahons to my knowledge.

Am most likely wrong, although im sure he may of done a "one off" for them way way back. Will check it out! :thumbsup:

Edit: Could find any evidence, although i may be thinking of Mil Mascaras!

Edited by Bowyo T

Am most likely wrong, although im sure he may of done a "one off" for them way way back. Will check it out! :thumbsup:

Yeah, Mil Mascararas eliminated himself from the 1997 Royal Rumble. About that "Biggest Wrestler To Never Work For WWE" role, could it be Jushin Thunder Liger or The Great Muta?

• Paid Members
I'd say the biggest name never to work for WWE would be Hashimoto - as I understand it, it can be argued that he's one of the biggest draws ever, as he sold out the most arenas of all time, even more than Hogan. Obviously, Hogan's a bigger draw and money-maker, it's just in that one aspect, Hashimoto could, from that angle, have been seen as the biggest draw in wrestling.

Fat Elvis was a big name in Japan, but so was Scott Norton. Not to that level, but it doesnt make Norton any bigger of a name in the US just because he was a bit of a name in the Orient. In America, Hashimoto meant nothing, so he isnt the biggest name never to work for WWE, because WWE's market audience dont see him as a big deal. Its like I was saying earlier, the whole Big Daddy argument makes little sense. Its like saying John Terry would be perfect for Man United to waste there transfer budget on, even though they have two better centre halfs than him. The likes of Daddy and Hashimoto wouldn't have been much use to McMahon.

Edited by Ian_hitmanhart

• Paid Members

Yeah, Mil Mascararas eliminated himself from the 1997 Royal Rumble. About that "Biggest Wrestler To Never Work For WWE" role, could it be Jushin Thunder Liger or The Great Muta?

Really? how old was he in 1997?

I was reffering to Mascaras wrestling in WWE way back when it may of been WWWF, although again i may be thinking of sombody else.

Really? how old was he in 1997?

I was reffering to Mascaras wrestling in WWE way back when it may of been WWWF, although again i may be thinking of sombody else.

He was 54 when he was in the Rumble. Having a little search around, he did make some appearences in the late 70s and mid 80s as well. Here he is teaming with Tito against Demolition:

(Dailymotion)