Undertaker/Sting discussion thread, inc 14/02 *Raw Spoilers*

danchilton

• Paid Members
I'd say the biggest name never to work for WWE would be Hashimoto - as I understand it, it can be argued that he's one of the biggest draws ever, as he sold out the most arenas of all time, even more than Hogan. Obviously, Hogan's a bigger draw and money-maker, it's just in that one aspect, Hashimoto could, from that angle, have been seen as the biggest draw in wrestling.

Fat Elvis was a big name in Japan, but so was Scott Norton. Not to that level, but it doesnt make Norton any bigger of a name in the US just because he was a bit of a name in the Orient. In America, Hashimoto meant nothing, so he isnt the biggest name never to work for WWE, because WWE's market audience dont see him as a big deal. Its like I was saying earlier, the whole Big Daddy argument makes little sense. Its like saying John Terry would be perfect for Man United to waste there transfer budget on, even though they have two better centre halfs than him. The likes of Daddy and Hashimoto wouldn't have been much use to McMahon.

Like I said, it was merely a question of angles. Obviously Hash wasn't big outside Japan and wouldn't be a draw in the US, but you could use the figures showing him as the being the most prolific seller-out of arenas ever to argue the point - a bit like how Real Madrid are statistically the most successful European team ever because they won 9 European Cups, but people tend to ignore that the vast majority of them were in the very early days of the European tournaments, when there was practically no-one to challenge them.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it IS Sting, someone will have to change that line on his Wikipedia article about being the most famous wrestler never to be in WWE :p

Just out of curiosity, to whom would that title now go to? Abdullah The Butcher?

He's up there. He has to be: the guy's still pretty well known today and considering he started in the late 50s and is still going (or was until recently) and has one of the most famous gimmicks ever must be in the top five at least.

Or "Mr TV" himself, Jackie Pallo.

I think the 'problem' with Pallo and McManus was that were Middleweights billed as being around eleven or twelve stone. The (W)WWF was mostly a 'Big Man' territory and those guys would have looked tiny next to people like Sammartino, Graham, Monsoon, Andre, Scicluna, Stasiak or a lot of the McMahon's regulars at various points then. For the most part, Vince Snr. was all about the big men.

Kendo and Haystacks (which we almost got in WCW) as Hogan opponents would have been interesting, I think.

El Santo pisses all over Hashimoto in the biggest name never to work in New York stakes in my eyes. I don;t think he worked for the McMahons to my knowledge.

I'd agree with that. Santo is one of the biggest names ever and his films were/are known not just in Mexico but Latin America in general and also parts of Asia, Europe (having a Turkish imitator, etc.), Canada and the Middle East (I remember Fadda talking about him having statues dedicated to him in Beirut).

El Santo pisses all over Hashimoto in the biggest name never to work in New York stakes in my eyes. I don;t think he worked for the McMahons to my knowledge.

Am most likely wrong, although im sure he may of done a "one off" for them way way back. Will check it out! :thumbsup:

Edit: Could find any evidence, although i may be thinking of Mil Mascaras!

I don't believe he (Santo) did, for the simple reason that Madison Square Garden had a rule that forced masked wrestlers to unmask if they wanted to work there which was lifted specially for Mascaras when he beat The Spoiler (who was forced to unmask to work there). Had Santo worked there it would be him we'd be hearing about them bending the rules for.

Am most likely wrong, although im sure he may of done a "one off" for them way way back. Will check it out! :thumbsup:

Edit: Could find any evidence, although i may be thinking of Mil Mascaras!

Yeah, Mil Mascararas eliminated himself from the 1997 Royal Rumble. About that "Biggest Wrestler To Never Work For WWE" role, could it be Jushin Thunder Liger or The Great Muta?

Muta's an interesting one because he had the gimmick and the experience getting over with a North American crowd. I do think he could have gone to WWF at some point in the early to mid 90s and done pretty well. Not that he would have held the WWF Title but I think he could have matched up pretty well against guys like Randy Savage, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Kerry Von Erich, Owen Hart, Mr. Perfect, Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, Lex Luger or 123 Kid if he'd gone there at some point in 1992-1996.

He had two things in his favour that a lot of the others didn't in that quite a few people still knew him from his NWA run at that point and also there were guys the same size/smaller than him working at or near the top during the steroid scandal years. WWF were even accused of trying to replicate/recreate it with Hakushi. So I see him as a higher profile version of Hakushi, with a bigger push. I think he's certainly up there as far as Japanese wrestlers go.

Less sure on Liger because of WWF not having a Lightheavyweight/Cruiserweight Division and I can't see McMahon pushing him as a serious heavyweight in Liger's prime.

That said, I'm sure could have been 'The Man' in WCW's CW Division (in the same way Rey was) when it was starting up if he'd wanted to make the move but (like Sting) I imagine there was no incentive when he was already regarded as the top dog in the world in that division in the biggest company in his own country (NJPW) and even booked the division which he wouldn't have gotten to do in WCW

• Paid Members

You could also argue that KISS are bigger than Led Zeppelin because they have more gold and platinum records than them. There isn't much that McMahon could have done to market Hashimoto as a big deal in the United States, because its always been a larger than life promotion, with charismatic big men all over the shop. If your going to put Hashimoto in there, your also going to have to put Mexican legends Norman Smiley and Vampiro in the running, and thats stretching the question even more.

This is interesting, seems we nearly got Sting vs Angle at WM 18:

Former WWE writer Dave Lagana has updated his blog at iwantwrestling.com with some thoughts about the recent buzz about Sting possibly heading to WWE. Lagana hypes the idea of a potential Sting vs. Undertaker dream match and reveals that Sting was actually very close to signing with WWE to wrestle at WrestleMania 18. Here are some highlights of what Lagana wrote about:

"Wrestlemania 27 is in Atlanta, GA; the former home of Ted Turner

That would've helped to improve what turned to be an absolutely shit Wrestlemania.

Jumping the gun already, but if Sting does come in and it's not just a one shot deal, Vince should be pleading with HBK to get back in the ring; Sting vs Michaels at Summerslam would be as much of a dream match as vs Taker at WM!

Edited by Reznor

That would've helped to improve what turned to be an absolutely shit Wrestlemania.

Jumping the gun already, but if Sting does come in and it's not just a one shot deal, Vince should be pleading with HBK to get back in the ring; Sting vs Michaels at Summerslam would be as much of a dream match as vs Taker at WM!

I'd rather have HBK vs Sting than Undertaker vs Sting.

• Paid Members
You could also argue that KISS are bigger than Led Zeppelin because they have more gold and platinum records than them. There isn't much that McMahon could have done to market Hashimoto as a big deal in the United States, because its always been a larger than life promotion, with charismatic big men all over the shop. If your going to put Hashimoto in there, your also going to have to put Mexican legends Norman Smiley and Vampiro in the running, and thats stretching the question even more.

Of course! That's all I'm really doing - looking at anomalous examples, it's interesting what you can "prove" with figures.

EDIT: Although the only serious point I'd argue is that McMahon could've done plenty to market Hash - he's worked with plenty of unusual guys before: Earthquake, Umaga, Yoko, etc. One thing Hash in spades was fire; all they'd have had to do was an Umaga job on him - wordless, insane foreigner who looks different but tough, and would kick seven shades of shit out of you. It wouldn't have made him massive, but he'd have been recognisable by the end of it.

Edited by Carbomb

Shit Wrestlemania? I guess it doesn't look good inbetween 17 and 19 (In my opinion the two best Wrestlemania's they have done), but 18 was much better than any of the other's that decade other than the two I have mentioned and perhaps 23.

• Paid Members

Shit Wrestlemania? I guess it doesn't look good inbetween 17 and 19 (In my opinion the two best Wrestlemania's they have done), but 18 was much better than any of the other's that decade other than the two I have mentioned and perhaps 23.

Yeah. WrestleMania X8 wasn't that bad in my memory. RVD vs. Regal, Christian vs. DDP, Kane vs. Kurt Angle, Hogan vs. The Rock, and Triple H vs. Chris Jericho. Even the women's match was good from what I can remember.

Yeah. WrestleMania X8 wasn't that bad in my memory. RVD vs. Regal, Christian vs. DDP, Kane vs. Kurt Angle, Hogan vs. The Rock, and Triple H vs. Chris Jericho. Even the women's match was good from what I can remember.

I think the only thing that was wrong with it mainly, was Stone Cold's heart not being in it. Undertaker Vs Ric Flair was alot of fun as well.

• Paid Members
I think the only thing that was wrong with it mainly, was Stone Cold's heart not being in it. Undertaker Vs Ric Flair was alot of fun as well.

The sad thing is, Scott Hall's sell of the Stunner was magnificent!

Scott Hall and X-Pac both say that thats exactly how you would take a stunner in real life. You wouldnt drop to your knees. You neck would jar straight down as he dropped.

Apologies if this has already been posted in this thread, but isnt this the greatest fake PPV poster ever??

179596_196725347010416_190656814283936_833095_752537_n.jpg

Yeah it has been posted before and in better quality, lol but no worries it is awesome and this is 23 pages long anyway.

The video has now played twice on Smackdown, what is the deal with the house anyway?