worst wrestling company in the UK

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

• Moderators
The vast majority aren't insured. I suppose whether it's right or wrong, that's the risk we take. And since messing around with my mate in his back garden in 2000, my only real injury has been whiplash. And that was from me accepting a Master Lock Challenge from someone in high school like a pleb. My friend who also backyards has a chest that plays up now and again but his big injury is a screwed up ankle. The ankle was injured playing football and aggrevated playing football whilst still having the injury for his team. He has the worst injury from my group.

I know that it could just as easily be me in a wheelchair but I take solace in the fact that I've never had a big injury along with my friends because we don't wrestle often and we go at our own pace with things we're comfortable with. There's a lot of knobs in pro wrestling who are two-faced and have delusions of grandeur. I'd prefer to have a laugh with my mates doing it. The most exciting things in life aren't necessarily logical. I'm sure a lot of you will have done stupid things like climbing trees and jumping off of things. It's not logical, you might have picked up injuries and if you didn't, the risk was always there. But even if you got injuries, I bet it was fun and I bet you have a story to tell.

EEDIT: Kudos to Tommy for using the word 'benny', one of my favourite insults.

Well, that's alright then...

You work, don't you? What if you do a bit of backyard and slip a disc? That's 4 weeks off. We've all wrestled in our backyards. Only most of us pretended to be the Bushwhackers, throw some dump punches, and do the occasional shite scoop slam as a match ender at the age of 9. Doing backyard wrestling is soft as shite. You get hurt, you can't do your day job. You say we do things like climbing trees and jumping off things, well not since I was pubic and was arsed about things like earning a living and acting older than I was 11 or so. When I want a laugh with my mates, we'll go for a pint, or watch a match together. Not spunk around playing wrestling.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

When we were 12, I was a participant in the legendary bout between myself, the UKFF's Mickfan and our mate, when our 'pal' legdropped Mickfan and almost broke his orbital bone. Even pissing about on a field, is dangerous. I remember getting Mickfan in the Steiner Recliner (it was an "I Quit" match) and he went ape shit and threw me off while shouting "I CANT FUCKING BREATH MAN!". Accidents happen in this game and the show doesnt go on. I retired in 2003, although they say you've never had your last match. You could say, "I'm Not Booked."

While I think doing anything related to using fire, barbed-wire and the like in backyard Wrestling is very stupid, I don't have an issue with people pissing around in their garden and taping it. You are never going to stop it, so what's the point!

What I do have a problem with, is when these Backyarder 'companies' start trying to actually promote proper shows. When you hire a ring and a small hall and put on a 'show' for people (even if it's free entry), you are risking causing damage to actual Wrestling Companies. Either through simply putting parents/fans off from ever going to a small UK show again, or by getting into trouble with the venue or the local Council for lack of insurance or an injury to a fan, which could burn the town and stop proper promoters getting bookings there.

"dont try this at home kids" yeah right!!!!! one ddt on the playground later and a week off skool lol.

The thing about the 'work' issue is a point i made earlier in the thread. If you have a family or a job i cannot see the ebenfits of risking it all for 5 minutes in a ring, where the only aftermath is a shitty YouTube video that'll get watched by 100 people and a slating on thes etype of forums! The downide would be if you have a mortgage and children and you REALLY hurt yourself and cannot work/pay the bills. How do you explain a broken neck, shoulder, back, etc to your work:

Backyarder or backyarder wife/mother/friend: "excuse me im sorry but xxxx wont be in work for the next 6 months"

work: "why"

Backyarder or backyarder wife/mother/friend: "well he was wrestling, and he got hurt"

Work: "riggggghhhhhttt"

Later: Sacked!!!

Now i know some will say work cant sack you. However if someone sustains an injury , and its investigated that it was by committing an act not trained in, with no insurance, etc etc etc and you are off for a long time, you will have a hard time keeping your job,e specially in todays climate.

When we were 12, I was a participant in the legendary bout between myself, the UKFF's Mickfan and our mate, when our 'pal' legdropped Mickfan and almost broke his orbital bone. Even pissing about on a field, is dangerous. I remember getting Mickfan in the Steiner Recliner (it was an "I Quit" match) and he went ape shit and threw me off while shouting "I CANT FUCKING BREATH MAN!". Accidents happen in this game and the show doesnt go on. I retired in 2003, although they say you've never had your last match. You could say, "I'm Not Booked."

You know, when you go down to that field the one thing you think you rely on is trusting your opponent. That was the day I lost my trust.

One of the best spots I ever did was I was having a 'hardcore/extreme rules' match in my old house with the aforementioned 'pal'. The brawl spilled upstairs (oo-er!) and I tried to flush his head down the toilet. He was Austin so obviously I wasn't allowed to get any offence in, he blocked it and flushed my head. I fought him off and hoyed him back down the stairs. I quickly ran to the sink and wet my face and hair and, man I tell ya, when I left that bathropom the crowd popped. It was like Shea Stadium in '82.

I love how you keyboard warriors bang on about how you hate backyard/underground yet your best talent comes from it? I laugh because I had a debate withone of your fellow warriors afew years ago about how the underground scene produces good solid talent but he was adament all we done was `hit each other with lightubes'. Now the guys favorite wrestler CAME FROM THE UNDERGROUND SCENE. It doesn't matter about your roots, its about your natural abilty not the crap you learn in a wrestling school after a certain ammount of time. I for one tell anyone before starting not to run before they can crawl and goto a school for a good year at learning the basics before anything.

• Paid Members
I love how you keyboard warriors bang on about how you hate backyard/underground yet your best talent comes from it? I laugh because I had a debate withone of your fellow warriors afew years ago about how the underground scene produces good solid talent but he was adament all we done was `hit each other with lightubes'. Now the guys favorite wrestler CAME FROM THE UNDERGROUND SCENE. It doesn't matter about your roots, its about your natural abilty not the crap you learn in a wrestling school after a certain ammount of time. I for one tell anyone before starting not to run before they can crawl and goto a school for a good year at learning the basics before anything.

I suppose in reality though it does depend on which school you attend. YOu could have all the ability in the world and attend a shite school, thus not learning anything. Also if you had "Natural talent" it would be very much wasted in the backyard of your house.

The point is, nobody has ever said "wow he came from the underground lolz". Maybe they would of said the indys, as in promotions such as ROH, but very few (if any) have come from deathmatch promotions, (at least those doing the actual death matches) and have gotten any where with it. Some have, but it wasnt just based on the death match ability. Mick foley is a good example of this.

Bar that although manny people do partake in back yard, or have done, most do realise that its very dangerous, very stupid and all round just not professional. If you or anybody else praises backyard wreslting, you are a complete retard if you dont see how fucking stupid you are being.

I know of one guy who came from backyard who is doing very well for himself these days on the uk scene, and im well aware even he looks back and says "im glad i stopped doing that stupid shit, and actually learned how to wrestle safely". I'll name no names, but the point is backyard is very dangerous for you, and without proper training you could hurt yourself or more importantly (most likely) sombody else.

• Paid Members

Absolutely no-one at all worth anything "came from backyard wrestling".

Regardless or not of whether they had messed around with backyard wrestling in the past, they "came" from a wrestling school, where they went for actual, sustained, long-term training and left the backyard stuff behind.

Archived