The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

Fin Martin needs Big Butch to write for him. Or anyone who's actually positive about wrestling would be nice.

I'll write a column for him called "Devil's Advocate" in which I'll make a case for some mainstream wrestling actually being quite good.

• Paid Members
I'll write a column for him called "Devil's Advocate" in which I'll make a case for some mainstream wrestling actually being quite good.

Surely not even Fin can put a negative spin on the outstanding Punk/Cena stuff?

I haven't bought Powerslam for about 6-8 months now after buying every issue for 12 years. Don't miss it.

Surely not even Fin can put a negative spin on the outstanding Punk/Cena stuff?

"Cena fucked everything up, but not as much as he normally does, and Punk's too good for even Cena to ruin (but feuds with Cena have ruined the careers of The Miz and R-Truth)" is his general approach writing about it.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think I'm done with PowerSlam. Read it religiously since 1997, but the Cena stuff has got too much even for me, and I don't like Cena.

It was summed up with the two Rey Mysterio matches the other week. PS said the Miz one was fantastic, but that Cena constantly blew the second one, meaning that it was a bad match. Watching it, it wasn't as good as Miz/Rey, which was really good, but it was a strong match in its own right.

I think it's partially that Fin treats Cena as the second Hogan, despite the fact that nobody seems to see Cena as being the manipulator that Hogan was. Everyone basically says that Cena's the ultimate company guy.

Yeah, apparently Cena didn't deliver any of his lines well, and apparently at one point Vince McMahon had to go off script to reprimand Cena for smiling when he should have been serious - that type of crap.

Cena was also criticised for selling going through the table for too long while Punk was doing the first of his promos, yet in the same breath he also criticised him for never selling.

I still like Powerslam overall, and I've bought almost every issue since 1994.

I can see why people get fed up of Fin Martin bashing John Cena and WWE creative continually. Most of the critisism is valid but it does feel like he's picking on every little thing. I guess that is a problem of having a magazine which is written almost exclusively by one man, only a single viewpoint is put forward. He did make it very clear, however, that he enjoyed both WWE's TLC and TNA's Destination X shows, so it's definately not all negative. I also am really bored of the three part (extremely long-winded) tribute to Edge. I always thought Edge was alright at best and just simply did not deserve such a volume of content devoted to him, but I guess I'm just one guy. It's more space than was devoted to Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair and Steve Austin combined when they retired (I know Flair came back, but it was a big deal at the time). Other things I dislike are the fact that the magazine is so short and the way it appears to have reduced coverage of Japanese and independent wrestling over the years. I wish they would cover ROH in the detail they used to with ECW back in its day. I would also like them to cover British wrestling in some way. A big problem with British wrestling is that it doesn't attract the audiences it could because few people are familiar with the characters and stories. I guess Fin Martin won't cover it because he doesn't think there is a market for it (which there isn't because so few people are familair). It's a vicious circle. Incidentally, I know FSM do cover British wrestling but I just can't bring myself to enjoy that magazine and I don't even know I can put my finger on why.

What I like about powerslam:

- The photography is usually top-notch. There are a few in this month from NOAH and TNA which are just breathtaking.

- The historical articles, like the ones they did a few years back about the history of the blade are usually an excellent read. These articles are often accompanied by some great photographs that really take me back. It is such a shame most of the historical articles take the form of obituries. I wish they would do a historical article every few months for the sake of it, not just because someone died. I would love to read about Dusty Rhodes' control of JCP in the mid 80s, the history of steroids in wrestling, a look at old TV jobbers or whatever, all acompanied with some nice photos from the time. Just a double page every month or other month would be a nice addition.

- the layout. It is a very easy magazine to read, as a long-time reader, I know where to turn for what.

It is a long way from perfect, but Fin seems to have hit on a format that sells well enough to make him some money and deserves credit for keeping it going for so long. When I started buying it, Superstars of Wrestling shared the shelves with WWF magazine, WCW magazine, Pro Wrestling Illustrated, Inside Wrestling, The Wrestler, Ringside Wrestling and other titles I've forgotten about. The fact that WWF magazine and Powerslam are the only wrestling magazines that appear regularly on most shelves is quite impressive.

• Moderators
Always wanted to know: What was Big Bri's Blinders?

They were "hysterical" reviews of Brian Adams matches with timestamps. I can only really remember it turning up once (could well be wrong on that one though), Him v Mongo from Road Wild in 1998, published in a 1999 issue of PS.

In case you haven't bought the latest edition of Power Slam yet, here's a spoiler...

I H8 CENA!!!1 I'VE CENA NUFF~ NPSTF

That's what it is for every page except the front and back covers. There you go, I've saved you