The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

I still like both FSM and Power Slam, FSM looks more professional but Power Slam has a kind of bare bones fanzine design that i actually quite like and some really good photos most issues.

That said Power Slam went down a notch with me when they started referring to John Cena's comebacks in his matches as a "Spongebob Squarepants Comeback"

I don't like John Cena at all but a comment like that is even more Childish than the behaviour/language from Cena that Power Slam frequently criticises in his matches/promos.

They stopped doing that after one issue though thank god!

There's a gem of a comment in this month's Power Slam, by Power Slam, along the lines of 'anyone who complains about wrestling in 2011 obviously wasn't watching in 1995'. Turn just one page from there, and - you guessed it - Power Slam rip into various petty things about wrestling in 2011.

• Paid Members

Power Slam was great back in the 90s. It was funny when people used to get stick. I dont buy it much these days. If there's an interview that I fancy or if I'm bored shitless on the bus, I'll buy it, but 2011 isnt a magazine friendly time for wrestling. When it had Martin, Butcher, Lister writing and there was about 5 promotions worth reporting on and hundreds of bits of news and access to actual star names like back in the mid-90s, it was often filled with brilliant articles, ideas and news and opinion. Now it seems like Fin Martin (who's does far more writing in it than he ever has) fills the pages only to squeeze in a shithead comment. Like the Twitter watch, then the Quotes section and the "They Said What?" feature, which is only in there for Martin to say "if the Rock was there when he said it and wrestling was real, and he had thin skin, like me, and Cena got on his nerves as much as he does mine, Rock would have out worked him and out spoke him on the locker room floor" or whatever daft anti-Cena thing he comes out with this month. Its a shame its how it is, compared to how class it used to be.

Power Slam was great back in the 90s. It was funny when people used to get stick. I dont buy it much these days. If there's an interview that I fancy or if I'm bored shitless on the bus, I'll buy it, but 2011 isnt a magazine friendly time for wrestling. When it had Martin, Butcher, Lister writing and there was about 5 promotions worth reporting on and hundreds of bits of news and access to actual star names like back in the mid-90s, it was often filled with brilliant articles, ideas and news and opinion. Now it seems like Fin Martin (who's does far more writing in it than he ever has) fills the pages only to squeeze in a shithead comment. Like the Twitter watch, then the Quotes section and the "They Said What?" feature, which is only in there for Martin to say "if the Rock was there when he said it and wrestling was real, and he had thin skin, like me, and Cena got on his nerves as much as he does mine, Rock would have out worked him and out spoke him on the locker room floor" or whatever daft anti-Cena thing he comes out with this month. Its a shame its how it is, compared to how class it used to be.

Spot on.

I remember some of the great Powerslam lines. This one still makes me laugh: ''Chris Benoit hits the least believable move in wrestling today, the multiple Germans. Benoit is so small his opponent has to get up and into position for the next one before Benoit does. He could only hit this move realistically is he was wrestling Buzz Lightyear.''

I remember some of the great Powerslam lines. This one still makes me laugh: ''Chris Benoit hits the least believable move in wrestling today, the multiple Germans. Benoit is so small his opponent has to get up and into position for the next one before Benoit does. He could only hit this move realistically is he was wrestling Buzz Lightyear.''

I genuinely use some Fin Martin lines in everyday conversation, to this day. My favourite being "(Ahmed Johnson/Big T) looks like he has been sticking to a strict diet of cake".

Sadly he hasn't written anything witty or inciteful since about 2006.

• Paid Members
I genuinely use some Fin Martin lines in everyday conversation, to this day. My favourite being "(Ahmed Johnson/Big T) looks like he has been sticking to a strict diet of cake".

In regards to the same wrestler, a PS line I always use when talking about some fatty is "been taking advantage of Tesco's two for one offer on butter pies and lard cakes."

There was another caption which slayed me at the time on a photo of Big (gu)T performing the Pearl River Plunge on IIRC Billy Kidman, which stated "Burgers, pies, dripping, lard.. TAFKA Ahmed Johnson has certainly been tucking in since last we saw him." "Tucking in" just killed me.

I actually think my favourite line was from the letters page, when some lad referred to Nation-era D'Lo as a "tub of guts in a silly hat."

• 4 weeks later...

I think PS still does a very good job. Their criticism is usually warranted, and they are always the first ones to hand out praise when something deserves it.

Having said that: does anyone else miss Rob Butcher? He was probably the best wrestling journalist I've come across, and Power Slam's best writer (just ahead of Fin Martin and Ian Robinson). Sometimes I dig out back issues of Power Slam just to read his articles. Does anyone know if he's still writing?

• Moderators
There was another caption which slayed me at the time on a photo of Big (gu)T performing the Pearl River Plunge on IIRC Billy Kidman, which stated "Burgers, pies, dripping, lard.. TAFKA Ahmed Johnson has certainly been tucking in since last we saw him." "Tucking in" just killed me.

My favourite ever caption featuring brilliant phrase "tucking in" comes from this Sun article about Christmas dinners in prison.

tuckingin.jpg