The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

I have been buying Powerslam magazine for years now and never missed and issue, I personally think its a fun read and very informative, I often read things in Powerslam I never knew before like something that happening years ago which I find fasinating. I normally buy pass the stuff in the magazine that's on indie wrestling and quick read the stuff on todays WWE and TNA stuff. I prefer reading about the old territory days of wrestling the 60's 70's and 80's etc which I'd love Powerslam to focus more on, i.e interviews with older wrestlers from those days and more articles on wrestling history.

I'm not sure who writes what in Powerslam but I'd love to have their knowledge of wrestling history, I'm pretty sure they are aided by the internet and its not all down to their knowledge which is fair enough I suppose.

I don't watch a lot of WWE or TNA so I enjoy reading they begining bit which reviews the Raws. Smackdowns and PPVs and gives general wrestling news. I enjoy reading their opinions and reviews on matches and PPVs, I sometimes find they are unjustified on their harsh opinions on the Divas and sometimes the writer seems to pick on the same wrestlers whether or not they have a good match or not.

The bit about WWE and WCW PPVs from the past and listing the results and information about the show is often fasinating and leads me to track down matches I'd totally forgotten about or not seen on Youtube.

I haven't read through all of this topic but from what iv seen their is a lot of hate towards Powerslam and basiclally if you don't like or agree with Powerslam, its writers or its views and opinions then don't read it plain and simple.

I have been buying Powerslam magazine for years now and never missed and issue, I personally think its a fun read and very informative, I often read things in Powerslam I never knew before like something that happening years ago which I find fasinating. I normally buy pass the stuff in the magazine that's on indie wrestling and quick read the stuff on todays WWE and TNA stuff. I prefer reading about the old territory days of wrestling the 60's 70's and 80's etc which I'd love Powerslam to focus more on, i.e interviews with older wrestlers from those days and more articles on wrestling history.

I'm not sure who writes what in Powerslam but I'd love to have their knowledge of wrestling history, I'm pretty sure they are aided by the internet and its not all down to their knowledge which is fair enough I suppose.

I don't watch a lot of WWE or TNA so I enjoy reading they begining bit which reviews the Raws. Smackdowns and PPVs and gives general wrestling news. I enjoy reading their opinions and reviews on matches and PPVs, I sometimes find they are unjustified on their harsh opinions on the Divas and sometimes the writer seems to pick on the same wrestlers whether or not they have a good match or not.

The bit about WWE and WCW PPVs from the past and listing the results and information about the show is often fasinating and leads me to track down matches I'd totally forgotten about or not seen on Youtube.

I haven't read through all of this topic but from what iv seen their is a lot of hate towards Powerslam and basiclally if you don't like or agree with Powerslam, its writers or its views and opinions then don't read it plain and simple.

One major thing that bugs me with Powerslam however is that for years it was always released on they last Thursday of the month and still lists its self as doing so but I live in Newcastle and it doesn't get released until the Friday after, I know its just a days difference but its a niggling issue that doesn't seem to have been answered.

• Moderators

Was it worth the double post? And also, as you may have noticed going through the thread, most people don't read it anymore. It's no surprise that Thicko Fin has cut the numbers of issues a year. Also, If you want to read about wrestling history there's many far better and far more accurate resources available to you on the internet for free. For example the Wrestling Classics forum, Kayfabe Memories, Mid Atlantic Gateway, Cawthon's site and all sorts of others.

I honestly don't know what niche PS fills anymore. For news you can get a cheap sub to F4W which has loads of decent content, as well as old newsletters, an it's more topical than PS as it covers the news of THAT WEEK. But PS? It's now just one smelly, greasy, Edge and Christian bumming northerner crying on a piece of A4 and publishing it, from the looks of things.

PS is rubbish, can't see why anyone buys it when FSM is available.

At least PS wouldn't print the claims of a failed BritWres export that got a whiff of being on WWE TV that he was suppposed to main event Mania against Taker in anything other than a "can you believe this moron?" sense.

Can someone explain this to me? It's an honest question; I don't get the reference.

• Paid Members

At least PS wouldn't print the claims of a failed BritWres export that got a whiff of being on WWE TV that he was suppposed to main event Mania against Taker in anything other than a "can you believe this moron?" sense.

Can someone explain this to me? It's an honest question; I don't get the reference.

Reference to the Hade Vansen interview from FSM, I believe. Hade claimed he was set for a big WrestleMania match with Undertaker.

Reference to the Hade Vansen interview from FSM, I believe. Hade claimed he was set for a big WrestleMania match with Undertaker.

Thanks. I know you've said it's from an interview, but if that was somehow reported as fact, I'd be inclined to agree with air_raid's feelings toward that period in FSM's history (under a different editor, I might add).

I hope everyone can appreciate how different FSM is these days.

• Paid Members

Thanks. I know you've said it's from an interview, but if that was somehow reported as fact, I'd be inclined to agree with air_raid's feelings toward that period in FSM's history (under a different editor, I might add).

I hope everyone can appreciate how different FSM is these days.

I haven't read it, but I assumed it was an interview and that those comments came from Hade himself, rather than FSM reporting the story as fact.

• Paid Members

Full list.

1. Hiroshi Tanahashi

2. Austin Aries

3. CM Punk

4. Kazuchika Okada

5. Prince Devitt

6. Daniel Bryan

7. CIMA

8. Tetsuya Naito

9. Kevin Steen

10. AJ Styles

11. Shingo Takagi

12. Low Ki

13. Akira Tozawa

14. Kurt Angle

15. Davey Richards

16. Christopher Daniels

17. Shinsuke Nakamura

18. Jun Akiyama

19. Bobby Roode

20. Hirooki Goto

21. El Generico

22. Dolph Ziggler

23. Sheamus

24. PAC

25. Kenny Omega

26. Yamato

27. Randy Orton

28. Samoa Joe

29. Ryusuke Taguchi

30. Kota Ibushi

31. Suwama

32. Jeff Hardy

33. Naomichi Marufuji

34. Karl Anderson

35. Masaaki Mochizuki

36. Ricochet

37. Alberto Del Rio

38. Kazarian

39. Michael Elgin

40. Matt Jackson

41. Eddie Edwards

42. KENTA

43. Nick Jackson

44. Minoru Suzuki

45. James Storm

46. Rockstar Spud

47. Noam Dar

48. Bully Ray

49. El Ligero

50. Kofi Kingston

• Paid Members

If anything it was the other way round. Mark Henry was fucking brilliant in that match and made it so special with his epic badassery and trash talking.

I hate shit like this: 40. Matt Jackson

41. Eddie Edwards

42. KENTA

43. Nick Jackson

Matt and Nick Jackson are a tag team and very very rarely wrestle singles. They are pretty much identical wrestlers and it's pretty hard to even tell them apart and neither one is better than the other so how does Fin work out that Matt is higher than Nick. Neither of them should actually be on there in the first place really.

I still buy the mag, force of habit for over 16 years now. My biggest gripes with it in the past few years have been the distorted nonsense that FWA was the be all and end all of British Wrestling in the naughties (surely accepted as a case of the Emperor's new clothes), and related promotions being a big deal (the one in the Northwest of England always getting a mention).

The reality is All Star Wrestling is/was the only genuine force when it came to a full time promotion that was - officially or otherwise - almost a feeder group for the WWE.

And beyond that there have always been much more successful regional indie promotions (try and compare the talent, cards, and attendance that 3 or 4 promotions in Scotland enjoy compared to the Morecambe promotion).

That all said, the magazine is a ghost of its former self. The glory days of really decent articles by Fin, John Lister, and Rob Butcher are missed.

That said when I started reading the mag it was probably less enjoyable to folk reading a couple of years earlier - check out back issures from 1994, there was some meaty articles that would bring back a lot of nostalgia and/or educte people as to the landscape in the "good old days".