The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

I remember my friend spotting a copy of COMBAT magazine in my bag at college (it had an article on EWW in it which I wanted to read). When he asked what I was doing with a martial arts magazine (I had never shown any interest in the subject in my entire life and I'd known the guy for years and he thought I'd stopped watching wrestling years earlier) I came up with some completely over the top bullshit excuse about my mum wanting it for school (she's a BIOLOGY teacher) as they were doing a seminar on how to protect yourself. Absolutely rediculous cover up. I'm still not sure if he bought it or not as I swiftly changed the conversation.

You're that ashamed of being a fan of pro wrestling?

I remember my friend spotting a copy of COMBAT magazine in my bag at college (it had an article on EWW in it which I wanted to read). When he asked what I was doing with a martial arts magazine (I had never shown any interest in the subject in my entire life and I'd known the guy for years and he thought I'd stopped watching wrestling years earlier) I came up with some completely over the top bullshit excuse about my mum wanting it for school (she's a BIOLOGY teacher) as they were doing a seminar on how to protect yourself. Absolutely rediculous cover up. I'm still not sure if he bought it or not as I swiftly changed the conversation.

This was almost 12 years ago and was my first year at college meeting new people - there was no way I was letting that bad boy out the bag ..... quite literally.

Edited by TheCrisis

• Paid Members

College and Uni are massively accepting of Wrestling in my experience. It's one of those things that someone will mention in passing as a guilty pleasure, and then half a dozen people step forward and before you know it you're all talking about who your favourite wrestler is, how good it was when you were a kid and all the usual stuff.

Last time I went to Uni, we started in October and then by January we were gathering at a lad's house to watch the Royal Rumble. Just regular people too, not all stereotype nerds or anything. College was the same, I was in a class of 12 and at least 4 other people were into wrestling, girls and boys.

This time I'm going to Uni and already one of my flatmates has stepped forward saying she likes it.

This was almost 12 years ago and was my first year at college meeting new people - there was no way I was letting that bad boy out the bag ..... quite literally.

My recordings of PPVs in 2000 made me very popular at college when I showed them on Mondays, this was probably the most accepting time in hisotry of being a wrestling fan

My recordings of PPVs in 2000 made me very popular at college when I showed them on Mondays, this was probably the most accepting time in hisotry of being a wrestling fan

Yes it was because my first year at college must have been 98/99 and I remember by the 2nd year everyone was watching it - even people were watching it in the library. Still I wasn't risking it. Each to their own. As it turns out I don't really watch it anymore apart from wrestlemania each year but I'm happy to talk to people about it and my experiences as a fan. Can't believe it's been nearly 20 years since I was sat in wembley stadium watching summerslam 92. Scary.

Yes it was because my first year at college must have been 98/99 and I remember by the 2nd year everyone was watching it - even people were watching it in the library. Still I wasn't risking it.

That strikes me as very bizarre, if loads of people are watching it and you're acting like you don't. I did deny being a wrestling fan twice -- once when I got caught buying the magazine (the "golden-haired Fox" Sunny issue, I said it was for my cousin) by a lad from school, and once at a pub in Ireland in summer '97 when I pretended not to know the Legion of Doom were back in it -- but I felt like Peter and worried about cocks.

• Paid Members

My first two years at uni coincided with WWF PPVs being on C4. Having to use an analogue aerial and move it to get a better signal all the time. That was a magical time, ten lads piling into a room after pub chucking out time, several games of No Mercy with all our CAWs beating shit out of each other, then a cacophony of mixed exclaimations from wrestling fans of various levels - "who's he then," "when did he come back?" "Fuck me! Haku!" etc. The Predictions Championship was a treat too. We all thought Rock was going over at Mania XVII, and berk that I was, I thought Hunter would beat Undertaker. I was the only one, and took a right battering from my mates who'd only been watching a year or so. "I thought you were the big wrestling fan!" etc.

Three of us were even big enough fans to be PS readers. Pretty sure I'm the only one who still reads it.

Edited by air_raid

The term casual fan is so odd nowadays isn't it? Even looking back to 98/99, I could never understand just being "casually" into wrestling. It's the type of thing that if you like it you're practically obsessed, and if you don't you think it's the gayest and shittest thing on the planet.

• Paid Members

I know what you mean but I'd say there's a lot of 'casuals'. I was about as die-hard a wrestling fan as you can be from about 1991-2007. I never thought there would come a time where I wouldn't be obsessed with it and the thought of missing a PPV was alien to me.

I hardly watch at all now. I'll dip back in now and then if something grabs my attention like when Brock came back, Rock/Cena etc and I always catch Wrestlemania, Royal Rumble and Summerslam but I fall back out of it pretty quickly. I don't even know why my interest waned but I just found I watched it less.

I mostly keep up with what's going on through this place and my nephew who's a massive fan. I don't think I'll ever completely sever the ties though.

• Paid Members
So is this the first time that Power Slam will be covering Lucha? I've not bought Power Slam in years but I might buy this, should be a laugh seeing what Fin would do to improve the WWE.

They used to cover AAA on the results page back in 1994, and I seem to remember an article they did on Antonio Pena, but that's about it as far as I'm aware. Haven't bought an issue for 4 years now, however.