The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

There was a thing in the last Powerslam that was accurate. It was about Kofi Kingston, and how it's going to take more to elevate him than just the commentators saying he's more aggressive now. It annoys me that they keep pushing that "wildcat" thing so much when his act hasn't changed at all. And Kofi's my favourite wrestler!

Totally, even down to still clapping prior to Trouble in Paradise, and stuff like the Boom Drop. Thought that for a while now, it's like they want to make him seem different without changing anything that makes him appealing to the kids for fear of him losing popularity. Which seems fair enough, except it's just not working with Kofi.

Totally, even down to still clapping prior to Trouble in Paradise, and stuff like the Boom Drop. Thought that for a while now, it's like they want to make him seem different without changing anything that makes him appealing to the kids for fear of him losing popularity. Which seems fair enough, except it's just not working with Kofi.

The thing is, they need to decide whether they find it stale or not. It's all well and good to evolve a character that you think needs it, but you do have to actually evolve it. Personally of course, I don't think there's anything wrong with Kofi's act in and of itself, and the only reason it all seems stale is because for the last three years he's done nothing but have quite-long matches with everyone. Which is fine when you're a Superstars jobber, but Kofi's clearly someone they want to position well. And for that, they need to put a camera on him more without a bell ringing. Like a lot of the roster, he could seem a lot fresher just by doing stuff instead of changing his persona.

When you look at Punk and Cena, they're two characters that can contribute loads to the show even when they're injured and can't wrestle. Quite a few other characters actually fit into that category too, even stale ones and some below Kofi in the pecking order. Del Rio, Miz, Ziggler, Bryan, Otunga, R-Truth, and others. But Kofi's whole persona is just in-ring, and he must have wrestled an average of about ten minutes screentime a week for the last three years. That's a hell of a long time to just run through the exact same routine.

Kofi is the definition of "stale". As the above poster said, he runs through the same routine every time he's out there. Personally, I enjoy watching Kofi's matches to a certain degree, but his offense can look really, really fucking weak at times ... well, nearly all the time actually ... and he can be incredibly sluggish.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting him to start potatoing people for stiffness' sake, but surely he can make things look a little more realistic.

• Paid Members
What did he say about him?

Because I'm in a charitable mood....

Despite his tiresome whining to the contrary, CM Punk has my (and many others') respect - but only as a superb wrestler and promo man. And therein lies the flaw in Punk's entire presentation : a failure to grasp that someone can be respected - at least to a degree - but not admired. He may be saying "Respect me" but what he's really demanding is "love me."

Punk's iconic predecessors Hogan, Piper, Savage, Flair, Austin and Rock are (or were) each blessed with a vast abundance of charisma, something that blinds enthusiasts to shortcomings. Punk simply doesn't have the luxury of overwhelming magnetism, and is instead seen precisely as he is : a never-satisfied, highly opinionated, snarky sort of person, even as a babyface.

Which is a long way from loveable. In a sense, Punk is a victim of his own persona. His "no gimmick" gimmick means there is virtually no separation between his ring and real selves. To dislike the character is to dislike the man (and vice versa). There is no fantasy element, a surface on which fans traditionally project idealised images. There is no mystique. Most cannot identify with his alternate-lifestyle leanings. And with a roster full of former champions, being the current one creates little wow factor. Punk's "real me" persona got him where he is, but also trapped him there.

In mid-2011, people were intrigued by the "something different" he supposedly represented. But intrigue is primarily a temporary interest, not a calling. Furthermore, whether it's fair or not, a large portion of the general public feel threatened by the counterculture types or the "different", their uneasiness generally compounded by talk of wholesale changes, especially since the listeners are the very people who apparently most enjoy the current product.

All the old excuses - not getting enough camera time/promo time/push/product tie-ins/media exposure/et cetera - are now out the window. In the end, Punk chose to be unconventional and to base his wrestling image on his own reality ; however, the consequence of those choices is a limited mass appeal.

He's right, of course, especially when it comes to describing Punk as hard to like. The three words that came to mind when I met him were "articulate" "funny" yet also "tosser."