Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Robert Downey Jr is not a chippy tea, behave yourself. 

Compared to Jared Leto?

He's the works, with extra bread and butter.

jared leto joker GIF

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I know I’m in the minority with this, possibly even on my own entirely, but can you imagine the pop that would’ve got when actually watching the film rather than knowing about it 2 years in advance.

I get that we’re in different times now and everything (and forgive me naming a wrong un here) but it’s a classic case of Kevin Spacey in Seven working because you didn’t know about it ahead of time. If you could’ve kept that under wraps the place would’ve gone mental on first viewing (before spoiling it online within minutes).

Like I say, probably on my own in thinking that

I get it, but it’s probably not good business to hide your big box office draw for a pop on the night, plus there would be zero chance of it not leaking out anyway. 

Really enjoyed Deadpool and Wolverine.

1. It's a Deadpool film. Didn't fuck with the formula. If you enjoyed the first two I can't see why you wouldn't like this one.

2. It's a pure Fox love letter and as someone who generally enjoyed those, there was a lot of nice stuff here.

Took my mum who I usually see Marvel films with. She hasn't seen Deadpool before so I gave her a bit of a warning beforehand. She thought it was fucking hilarious so glad about that. Obviously had some "who's that?" questions here and there because she's not a die hard nerd like I am but it's nice that it worked on different levels.

By the time the credits were done it was actually quite emotional in a way for me. Geek culture has changed so much with comic cons and the MCU and it was a nice reminder of where we've all come from.

• Paid Members

@DavidB6937one thing I will say is I feel the Fox films get a lot of shit when most of them were good to excellent (although why every 3rd X-Men film was crap I don’t know). I even think the FF films were alright (didn’t see the reboot mind), so some of the tribute stuff was fun. I would have loved 

Spoiler

Dougray Scott to have filmed a Wolverine cameo. The other great What If of Fox films, thankfully we got Channing’s Gambit.

I’ve just seen Deadpool vs Wolverine, and I didn’t love it. I didn’t hate it either, but I find the character of Deadpool (who is basically Ryan Reynolds’ actual public persona with more swearing) incredibly irritating. So clearly that’s a problem when it comes to actually enjoying the film. But hey, everyone around me was laughing, so I can accept that I’m in the minority here. 

• Paid Members

I thought Deadpool & Wolverine was pretty shit. To be fair, I'm massively burned out on the wise-cracking tongue-in-cheek Marvel tone, Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool makes my teeth itch, I find the fourth-wall shit annoying and anything to do with the Multiverse does my head in, so I was always going to struggle with it.

I expected to dislike the Deadpool character based on the first two movies but I also thought their presentation of Wolverine was incredibly lazy (he can say 'fuck' in this film, did you notice?) and Hugh Jackman was in full-on cashing a cheque mode.

It wasn't all bad - Emma Corrin did great work with a one-note nothing character and

Spoiler

Blade!!

But other than that it was a miss for me.

• Paid Members
On 7/28/2024 at 7:29 PM, RedTwoster said:

I find the character of Deadpool (who is basically Ryan Reynolds’ actual public persona with more swearing) incredibly irritating. So clearly that’s a problem when it comes to actually enjoying the film.

21 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

ITo be fair, I'm massively burned out on the wise-cracking tongue-in-cheek Marvel tone, Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool makes my teeth itch, I find the fourth-wall shit annoying and anything to do with the Multiverse does my head in, so I was always going to struggle with it.

I expected to dislike the Deadpool character based on the first two movies

I’m first to admit I’m not huge on Ryan Reynolds and have no investment in the Marvel films, I’ve maybe only seen less than 1/4 of their output.

That being said, if I didn’t like Deadpool as a character, and had seen both previous Deadpool films and didn’t like them either, I probably wouldn’t be going to see the third one in the cinema during release week. What did either of you (or anyone else in this thread who seem to be rushing to a film they know they won’t like) plan to gain from it?

I can’t deal with horror films, so I don’t watch them. I don’t rush to the cinema to check out the newest Saw film. It cost me and the wife £40 for two tickets, two drinks and a popcorn. I can’t begin to fathom wasting that kind of money to see a film I know I won’t like.

• Paid Members
On 7/28/2024 at 1:54 PM, Retro Red said:

I get it, but it’s probably not good business to hide your big box office draw for a pop on the night, plus there would be zero chance of it not leaking out anyway. 

It would have been leaked rather than revealed. It will be interesting to see how they explain it though, and given that they're doing a Secret Wars movie at some point they'll be introducing the Beyonder. I wonder whether they'd be brave enough to do it the same way they did in the comics and just do the changes before explaining what happened in Secret Wars. I presume it'll be based on the original, as opposed to the huge crossover, although that'd be one way to get the Multiverse wrapped up. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, FLips said:

That being said, if I didn’t like Deadpool as a character, and had seen both previous Deadpool films and didn’t like them either, I probably wouldn’t be going to see the third one in the cinema during release week. What did either of you (or anyone else in this thread who seem to be rushing to a film they know they won’t like) plan to gain from it?

I can’t deal with horror films, so I don’t watch them. I don’t rush to the cinema to check out the newest Saw film. It cost me and the wife £40 for two tickets, two drinks and a popcorn. I can’t begin to fathom wasting that kind of money to see a film I know I won’t like.

It's as simple as I love going to the cinema and I will give any film a chance. Some of the films I expect to dislike end up surprising me massively - I expected to hate Poor Things based on the trailer but it's one of my films of the year so far.

I didn't really hate either of the first two Deadpool films either - I thought they were solid enough even if I don't like the character himself.

Plus I've got Odeon Limitless and don't go in for snacks/etc (I just sneak a bottle of water in) so it's at no extra cost to me.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You know you don't have to sneak food and drink in? You can just take it in and no-one will stop you (unless it's booze).

I know, but sneaking it in makes me feel like James Bond.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FLips said:

1- Spoilers, a film like this, hell, most MCU films you need to see as soon as possible to avoid spoilers. I went on twitter after leaving the cinema and saw 

Spoiler

videos of nearly all the spoilers

So to avoid that, pretty important for a film like this, you need to go quickly

2- For my sins I watch all the MCU films, and adjacent (Sony Verse).

3- Wolverine was always my favourite character as a kid so I’m gonna go.

4- Deadpool was great, 2 nowhere near as much. I’m not going to skip 3 based on that

5- I never see a film I know I won’t like. Like medieval set dramas aren’t my thing so avoid those. But if I think it’s going to be at least entertaining I’ll give it a go. And as I said I paid for the IMAX 3D upgrade I ain’t doing for a film I don’t think I’d like. In fact it’s why I felt so disappointed is because I expected to like it.