Shoot interviews

IANdrewDiceClay

Found Rick Martel's old RF shoot on my external hard drive from yonks ago. Must have downloaded it a while ago and forgot all about it.

It's proper old school RF with even worse production values than the recent ones. Pretty thorough at just shy of 3hrs i've been watching it broken down into smaller parts across a few sittings. In fairness to Martel he is very personable and easy to listen to which is always a bonus and on a personal level seems like a very smart cookie who invested his money wisely and got away from wrestling with his money, health and legacy intact.

• Paid Members

Has there ever been a Guest Booker DVD that you've finished watching and went "I wouldn't mind seeing that?" Al Snow's was built around Kane and Undertaker feuding. Robert Fuller wanted to bring in Shawn Michaels and have him feud with Hacksaw Duggan over the TV title. Cornette wanted to build the Invasion around matches such as Dusty and Hogan having time limit draw in the mid-card of WrestleMania. Russo wanted to do a WCW vs WWF feud using only Hall, Nash and Hogan. Demolition Ax planned out this intricate split of Demolition which I cant imagine anyone giving a shit about in 1990. I think Dutch Mantel's was the only one which was an improvement over what actually happened and that was only because he said he wanted Kimbo Slice to join TNA. I really like the first 45 minutes of the guest bookers, because its interviews about their prime and their philosophy as bookers. But the actual booking exercises are tosh.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Sounds utterly cliched but Gabe Sapolsky booking the New ECW's first year was pretty good. He had the December to Dismember PPV headlined by Randy Orton vs. Ric Flair for the ECW title, which intrigued me since I thought he'd just be a massive workrate pervert. Of course the new ECW worked itself out eventually, but I'd far rather have seen what he had planned than Bobby Lashley beating everyone.

Sounds utterly cliched but Gabe Sapolsky booking the New ECW's first year was pretty good. He had the December to Dismember PPV headlined by Randy Orton vs. Ric Flair for the ECW title, which intrigued me since I thought he'd just be a massive workrate pervert. Of course the new ECW worked itself out eventually, but I'd far rather have seen what he had planned than Bobby Lashley beating everyone.

To some extent I agree, but it sounds like it suffers from (a less retarded version of) the same thing that most of them do -- it ignores the reality of the time. In December 2006, Randy Orton was involved in Raw's top storyline with Edge and DX, you can't just take him out of that to have him wrestle for the ECW title. Unless he's pulling double duty, dunno if the shoot covered that. And Randy Orton vs Ric Flair in late 2006 makes nobody. WWE were trying to make Lashley the next top man at the time in a way they never really tried with anyone else again until Punk and Bryan.

Cornette's is probably the worst I've heard, but Al Snow's was so weird as well. Al has an aggressive, off-putting vibe in shoot interviews which always puts me on the back foot. And the content of his booking is so stupid. He's doing the attitude era ostensibly, but he's booking it like a 1970s territory and using a modern roster except with Undertaker and Kane debuting as (or at least booked like) the new generic face/heel monsters on a slow collision course who will have a match a year from now.

• Paid Members
Has there ever been a Guest Booker DVD that you've finished watching and went "I wouldn't mind seeing that?" Al Snow's was built around Kane and Undertaker feuding. Robert Fuller wanted to bring in Shawn Michaels and have him feud with Hacksaw Duggan over the TV title. Cornette wanted to build the Invasion around matches such as Dusty and Hogan having time limit draw in the mid-card of WrestleMania. Russo wanted to do a WCW vs WWF feud using only Hall, Nash and Hogan. Demolition Ax planned out this intricate split of Demolition which I cant imagine anyone giving a shit about in 1990. I think Dutch Mantel's was the only one which was an improvement over what actually happened and that was only because he said he wanted Kimbo Slice to join TNA. I really like the first 45 minutes of the guest bookers, because its interviews about their prime and their philosophy as bookers. But the actual booking exercises are tosh.

Completely agree with this. I stop watching the Guest Bookers when they start booking things. That part is actually really boring to watch anyway, watching Oliver writing on a whiteboard.

Just how big a star WAS Luger, really? I mean, he was around the industry for years, at or near the top level, but I can't think of a single match of his I remember.

Was he a draw?

but I can't think of a single match of his I remember.

Whit? Then you couldn't have watch wrestling for the whole '90's. Do you not remember Royal Rumble 1994?

Just how big a star WAS Luger, really?

Check out the response he got at Starrcade '96 mush. He was over, that's for sure.

Really enjoyed the Lex Luger timeline. He doesn't come off anywhere near as jaded, bitter, arrogant and conniving as most wrestlers do in shoot interviews. He's not a great talker, but he's really humble and he seems genuinely happy to be there and to be chatting about it.

but I can't think of a single match of his I remember.

Whit? Then you couldn't have watch wrestling for the whole '90's.

Loki didn't really watch wrestling until Heat on channel 4.