THREAD FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT THE UKFF FORUM ONLY!

neil

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Has down voting gone?  That's a shame if it has as it was always fun to see some posters rep get lower and lower with each passing day.

Yeah, but is also drove some posters who were actually excellent contributors away, and I hope they come back now that it's been binned off.

If people have some problem with something someone else posts, I'd rather see them talk about it openly - even if it degenerates into a flame war. I'd much rather that than some anonymous, dickless wonder downvoting the posts of one person, no matter what they post, just because. Moo posted in paid members that one poster had downvoted another over 400 times. That person seriously needs to get a life and perhaps some therapy.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I look forward to the return of all these thin skinned posters. 

Some people didn't have a big, public strop and then leave. They literally just stopped posting. I'm not sure this forum can really afford to lose posters who contribute well to the forum. No, you or I might not agree, at all times, with whatever these posters post, but it's a shame to lose them over something like this.

Seriously, what does downvoting (or upvoting, for that matter) even add? It added nothing. If anything, it reduced decent discussion not just because of the aforementioned posters who decided just to leave, but also people who might write a good post in reply to something but instead decides, nah, fuck it, an upvote will do. This forum is pretty small, in terms of internet discussion boards. I'm not sure what our active member numbers are, but they aren't massive. Some people are thin skinned, it's true, but so what? That downvote button - after the novelty had worn off for the more decent Paidos - did nothing but give a tool to pricks, in the main. Driving people away isn't at all what this forum needs.

Anyway, it's pointless discussing it now - we talked about it, the decision was made. It's done.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

I thought the upvote system was a great idea for helping with the end of year awards. Is there a way Moo can allow upvoting and disable downvotes? 

That's what the current system is. 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

I thought the upvote system was a great idea for helping with the end of year awards. Is there a way Moo can allow upvoting and disable downvotes? 

I think that's what @HarmonicGenerator hoped, but I'm sure he's mentioned that it's actually a bit of a ballache after all and the 'post of the year' rolling thread seems to still be the best way.

• Awards Moderator
53 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I think that's what @HarmonicGenerator hoped, but I'm sure he's mentioned that it's actually a bit of a ballache after all and the 'post of the year' rolling thread seems to still be the best way.

Correct. There’s no way to easily check what the most upvoted posts of the year were - last year I had to trawl through the top posters for every single day and try to figure out which posts within each of their contributions that day had the most upvotes. It was a pain in the arse so this year it’s POTY thread or nothing. Or someone else does the awards of course!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

It's made me return as my previous profile was so toxic I just gave up. Had no issue down voting for having an opinion that people didn't agree with, but literally anything I posted was down voted, including a tribute to someone who had died. Made me not want to contribute anymore because it wasn't fun and I had been on the forum, on and off, since 2002 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Don't make a habit of moaning and whingeing about it Nick, or I'll just keep deleting your new profiles as I have every right to do as you are a previously banned member.

I have absolutely no intention. It was really in response to what SpursRiot had posted. I honestly was neither moaning, nor whinging about it. The thing is, like I said, I had been here very happily for years and I am glad to be here now. It is one of my favorite forums to visit which is why I was a paid member. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch