Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

Is Edge actually recognised as a top promo? I can't really remember one outstanding interview of his, he had a lot of memorable segments (getting off with Alicia Fox, giving Lita one, the Flair skit, those Paul Bearer backstage bits that were memorable for the wrong reasons) but in terms of an actual interview I can't remember anything really

• Moderators

How big are Fozzy over in the US? It feels like the their only fanbase is over here in the UK, they seem to be loved by the types who proudly wear Spiral Direct shiters covered in wolves or skeletons with their middle finger raised.

Whenever they play in the UK they play in a fucking Wrexham nightclub. I think that says all you need to know about the level of their popularity.

• Paid Members

Jericho did Dancing With The Stars, remember. He's Darren Gough.

Promo since 2001's an easy one.

Steve Austin.

The Rock,

Edge (as overrated as I think he is),

CM Punk,

Konnan (the LAX thing was tremendous),

Mark Henry (quietly one of the best),

Hulk Hogan,

Santino Marella,

Mick Foley,

John Cena,

Steve Corino,

loads more too

WWE Workers current day?

John Cena,

Daniel Bryan,

Mark Henry when he's on it,

Big Show arguably,

Sheamus,

Cesaro (currently boring but better),

Goldust,

Luke Harper,

Dean Ambrose,

Seth Rollins,

interchangeable Uso.

I know it's all subjective, and that, but I have a few problems with your lists :)

Promos: Austin was gone by 2001, but I'll let it slide as he's been back for the odd turn. I'm told CM Punk improved everything dramatically in the time I was away. He'd have had to, but I can't counter that. Hogan is still a good promo but very much not for the modern product. I'll still allow. Foley's a shoe-in. As is Rock. I'll put Cena on a level. That's six, if I'm being generous. I'll add in Heyman for you, too.

Work: Of those you list, I'd argue only Cena (in his own way) and Bryan are anything at the level Jericho works at. Although we may be using different definitions of working here.

• Moderators

Weren't you away from the product for a lot of the past few years? You'd have missed Mark Henry in 2011 for example with one of the greatest runs of modern history, or Goldust being arguably one of the greatest workers in the world of last year. It's hard to argue a top ten with someone who's got a gap for the years of when the list is for. Luke Harper is absolutely terrific, Sheamus is fucking terrific. Pisses all over Jericho.

• Paid Members

Oh, I am arguing from a weak position, but it's fun all the same. For those who are there now, I'm judging them on how they are now, with a little of how they were before for the veterans. For all I know they may have spent the last 9 years being awesome. By the same stretch, Jericho may have gone to shit. The balance of probabilities can go either way. There's no right answer here, unless we're using the PWI500, which is never wrong. That's a joke, by the way :)

• Paid Members

Seems to be very fashionable to bash Jericho these days, because he has become a bit ridiculous, somewhat unlikeable and he certainly isn't cool any more, but judging him purely on his wrestling career I would have to put him in my top ten of the modern era. You might argue that guys like Luke Harper are better (he is great), but it's massively subjective. Measurable parameters such as longevity and accomplishments certainly provide a very strong case for Jericho being considered in a more elite bracket than that.

As far as the band goes, I would be shocked if the vast majority of the fanbase aren't wrestling fans, but they travel the world playing at being rock stars and even get to do major metal festivals like Download, so fair play to him. Never seen them, but I can only imagine how utterly cringe worthy Jericho is as a front man.

• Paid Members

Jericho would easily make the list of the top 10 workers currently in WWE. Unfortunately his party like it's 1999 act is so fucking old that I can't get excited for any of his matches.

As for promo guys since 2001, off the top of my head I'd have him behind Rock, Austin, Triple H, Foley, Biker Taker, Cena, Angle, Edge, JBL, Punk, Batista, Bubba Dudley... Plus Hogan and Flair when they had some marbles.

• Moderators

He wouldn't easily make the top 10. Where's the stand out performances? In watch matches did you think this year Jericho really gave you the impression he played his role fantastically? When did he bring the emotion? When did he bring excitment? When did he make you sit up and say "he's doing a fine job here"? I honestly cannot remember one stand out performance or moment from his last run.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

He wouldn't easily make the top 10. Where's the stand out performances? In watch matches did you think this year Jericho really gave you the impression he played his role fantastically? When did he bring the emotion? When did he bring excitment? When did he make you sit up and say "he's doing a fine job here"?

There were no standout performances. He's just a very good hand who will almost always have a good match with pretty much anyone. I don't like him at all but I couldn't put him below Cesaro, Harper or Sheamus. He's better than Henry and Show who I like but both are going downhill. I'm not convinced Rollins and Ambrose are as good either although Ambrose's fire makes him a better watch.

I'd give you Goldy, Cena and Bryan. Triple H too.

I can never tell if the Mark Henry stuff on here is a joke or not?

He was decent for two or three months out of twenty fucking years. Even comparing him to Jericho is madness. His feud with Shawn was a million times better than anything Henry has ever done, and it definitely wasn't carried by HBK. Plus no one gives a shit about Henry. Jericho still gets a response at least.

And I don't even like him.