UKFF Music Project

Vito

• Members
On 5/18/2020 at 3:31 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

So basically, you're going to want to chop up and lay down your samples, right? The sequencer gives you a 'grid' to lay these down in the time signature and at the beats per minute that you set. So it's a really nice and easy visual way of sequencing out your samples.

Other workflow tools are designed around using audio clips and tracks, and more tailored towards live instrumentation, so without a plugin for sequencing they wouldn't really give you as easy and accessible a way to do that. (They may have some inbuilt sequencing tools these days - I'm not sure, but the point stands that they're not really designed around it).

Another advantage of fruity is that one of the free plugins that comes with it is really good for making basslines, so that will be a help to you also.

Any decent programmes that work on a Chromebook?

Only want one to muck about on.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Hey, @LaGoosh , have you had a chance to have a play yet? Be interested to know how you are getting on...

Haven't had a chance to give Fruity Loops a go yet, but have done some creating and messing around with samples on Audacity which I've enjoyed doing. Next step is getting on FL and seeing if I can work out how to make beats for my samples.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Haven't had a chance to give Fruity Loops a go yet, but have done some creating and messing around with samples on Audacity which I've enjoyed doing. Next step is getting on FL and seeing if I can work out how to make beats for my samples.

I don't know how you're fixed for drums or what your plan is, but if it is helpful, here is a crazy amount of classic drum breaks to chop - 

https://www.phatdrumloops.com/beats.php

• Paid Members

I'm 32 and decided to pick up my wife's old guitar yesterday. It's an Gibson Epiphone Junior Model that she hasn't played since she was a teenager, and it's been collecting dust for the better part of 15 years. So instead of throwing it out or giving it away, this 32 year old who has never picked up an instrument before in his life thought it would be easy to learn a few chords and thus play almost any song ever written.

Boy was I wrong. I looked at a couple of YouTube starter guitar lessons but I just cannot get my hands in the correct chord position without my fingers muting other strings or finding the spot correctly. I'll strum the strings individually to find the error and fix it, but that causes another string nearby to be altered. Repeat process. It's driving me mad, and I'm wondering if my late start means my hands have developed to a point where it's impossible to contort to those chord positions correctly.

I'll give it another week. I've committed to an hour a day minimum where I'll try the chords and practice the opening riff from 'Dammit', so we'll see if there any improvements or if I smash the guitar with frustration.

Edited by Accident Prone

13 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm 32 and decided to pick up my wife's old guitar yesterday. It's an Gibson Epiphone Junior Model that she hasn't played since she was a teenager, and it's been collecting dust for the better part of 15 years. So instead of throwing it out or giving it away, this 32 year old who has never picked up an instrument before in his life thought it would be easy to learn a few chords and thus play almost any song ever written.

Boy was I wrong. I looked at a couple of YouTube starter guitar lessons but I just cannot get my hands in the correct chord position without my fingers muting other strings or finding the spot correctly. I'll strum the strings individually to find the error and fix it, but that causes another string nearby to be altered. Repeat process. It's driving me mad, and I'm wondering if my late start means my hands have developed to a point where it's impossible to contort to those chord positions correctly.

I'll give it another week. I've committed to an hour a day minimum where I'll try the chords and practice the opening riff from 'Dammit', so we'll see if there any improvements or if I smash the guitar with frustration.

It's not your age. It's how everyone is when they first start. Just practice, practice, practice. It'll become much easier with time.