UKFF Music Project

Vito

Found an old harddrive in a drawer while doing a spring clean and it contains a bunch of tunes I'd completely forgotten about. I've uploaded a handful if anyone wants a listen. Mainly sampled hip hop beats that I think are from either when I backed up my memory card for my old MPC1000 or when I tracked in the half-decent tunes I had saved on floppy disks off my MPC2000XL before I sold it. They're nothing special but there's a couple of tracks I've completely forgotten the sample source of so would never be able to re-create, which is a shame as they had potential.

I also found three tracks to a abandoned soundtrack I started for a short film my mate was making for film school. I can't remember making them at all but they're pretty cool short electronic ambient stuff. I'll try and upload them later.

• Paid Members

Hello lads. It didn't seem worth starting a thread so I thought I'd ask here. 

I picked up a cheap bass a while back and am looking for a cheap small amp to try it with. I'm happy enough learning without one (as I'm shit and it's a bit of fun) but am keen to finally actually test it properly as it was so dirt cheap. 

Can any of you chaps advise of any recommendations? 

14 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Hello lads. It didn't seem worth starting a thread so I thought I'd ask here. 

I picked up a cheap bass a while back and am looking for a cheap small amp to try it with. I'm happy enough learning without one (as I'm shit and it's a bit of fun) but am keen to finally actually test it properly as it was so dirt cheap. 

Can any of you chaps advise of any recommendations? 

You can pick up a Fender Rumble pretty cheap second hand. They’re decent practice amps for at home. 

Posted in another thread on here that I was gonna use this lockdown time to do something productive and learn the guitar. 

I've been practising on my wife's old acoustic from when she was younger but feel like I'd actually prefer an electric. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent-ish beginners electric guitar for less than £200? I've seen some beginner set-ups on amazon and ebay but unsure of the quality of them. 

33 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

Posted in another thread on here that I was gonna use this lockdown time to do something productive and learn the guitar. 

I've been practising on my wife's old acoustic from when she was younger but feel like I'd actually prefer an electric. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent-ish beginners electric guitar for less than £200? I've seen some beginner set-ups on amazon and ebay but unsure of the quality of them. 

In my professional opinion as a guitar builder, you can't go wrong with a Yamaha Pacifica or anything in the Squier Affinity range. If you look about on eBay and the likes you may even be able to find something from the Squier Classic Vibe range being sold within your price range. I got a Classic Vibe Mustang a couple of months back as a guitar for messing around with in the living room for £200. Massively underrated guitars. 

In fact, the Squire Bullet Mustang is about £110 brand new and they're as good, if not better, than any guitar twice it's price.

47 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

In my professional opinion as a guitar builder, you can't go wrong with a Yamaha Pacifica or anything in the Squier Affinity range. If you look about on eBay and the likes you may even be able to find something from the Squier Classic Vibe range being sold within your price range. I got a Classic Vibe Mustang a couple of months back as a guitar for messing around with in the living room for £200. Massively underrated guitars. 

In fact, the Squire Bullet Mustang is about £110 brand new and they're as good, if not better, than any guitar twice it's price.

Thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on an Epiphone Les Paul as a beginners guitar? I'm drawn to the shape of them. 

Ultimately I think I'm gonna wait until my local music shop is back open as I'd want to try a few different shapes or styles out to get a feel for what felt most comfortable but I'm aesthetically drawn to a Les Paul. 

18 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

Thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on an Epiphone Les Paul as a beginners guitar? I'm drawn to the shape of them. 

Ultimately I think I'm gonna wait until my local music shop is back open as I'd want to try a few different shapes or styles out to get a feel for what felt most comfortable but I'm aesthetically drawn to a Les Paul. 

Epiphone Les Pauls are good but I don't think they're anywhere near as good value for money as other guitars in their price range. I'd steer clear of those sunburst Les Paul Specials that are also sold in starter packs as I think they're dog shit. The other ones make decent beginner guitars although Les Pauls are known for having fat necks which can sometimes make it a bit harder to learn, although it shouldn't be too bad.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

Yes, do this. As well as the body shapes being different, the neck on a Les Paul is shorter, fatter and flatter than the neck of a Stratocaster and it might just not feel comfortable in your hands. As much as I liked the look of a Les Paul when I was starting out, I didn't like the necks and I found them a bit bottom heavy to balance comfortably when playing sat down (possibly due to my pipecleaner legs).

It's always worth trying before buying, because how a guitar is set up (ie: frets that are smooth and the correct height, string height, intonation, etc) makes as much a difference in how accommodating it is to play as the brand or shape does.

The quality of budget guitars nowadays is massively better than when I started back in 1991. Generally, as long as you stick to an established brand you'll get something decent to learn on. 

8 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Yes, do this. As well as the body shapes being different, the neck on a Les Paul is shorter, fatter and flatter than the neck of a Stratocaster and it might just not feel comfortable in your hands. As much as I liked the look of a Les Paul when I was starting out, I didn't like the necks and I found them a bit bottom heavy to balance comfortably when playing sat down (possibly due to my pipecleaner legs).

It's always worth trying before buying, because how a guitar is set up (ie: frets that are smooth and the correct height, string height, intonation, etc) makes as much a difference in how accommodating it is to play as the brand or shape does.

The quality of budget guitars nowadays is massively better than when I started back in 1991. Generally, as long as you stick to an established brand you'll get something decent to learn on. 

Thanks for the advice. Also I think it was yourself who suggested I use Fender Play for learning to play guitar. I've been working my way through it for the last week or so and I'm really enjoying it and feel like I'm progressing well with it too. 

I did a mix!

https://www.mixcloud.com/mhangus/dropping-science/

Some old school hip hop, some electro and downbeat, a bit of jazz.  All off vinyl, so excuse the odd bit of crackle.

Edit: other mixes also on that account if you like house or jazz.

Edited by Loki