UKFF Music Project

Vito

I've been listening to A Tribe Called Quest every day for ages now and generally getting into hip hop a bit more. I've toyed with the idea of writing lyrics for a rap and something like this could be a good backing for it. I like the jazz element of ATCQ and the smooth, percussive raps of Q-Tip.

If I were to fanny around recording a rap, would you mind if I used this as a backing track? This is in no way concrete, but when I heard it I thought that it could work.

It's abstract, original, I can't get my own and that's pitiful.

Edited by Sphinx

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Cool. I think it has the potential to be my favourite music list we've ever had on here* so it'd be a shame if the project got dropped! But I appreciate it's a fairly big undertaking so I'm not pressuring you to keep a particular pace...

* the competition isn't exactly strong there tbf, but still.

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

Sorry to bump an old thread. Thought it may be better in a topic like this than the questions thread.

I play guitar, but I know almost nothing about musical theory. It's something I think I'm wanting to learn more of. Can anyone reccommend any self-teaching books or online courses that don't cost a bomb?

• Paid Members

Andrew Wasson's YouTube channel (Creative Guitar Studios) is a good one.

I'll have a butchers through my horrendously disorganised filing system, but I think I may have a pdf of Idiots Guide To Music Theory / Music Theory For Dummies.

If there's anything in particular you want to know though, ask here. Me and Call Me Bellend had a cracking conversation a few years back where I taught him scale theory by comparing it to Dean Malenko. True story.

• Moderators

Sorry to bump an old thread. Thought it may be better in a topic like this than the questions thread.

I play guitar, but I know almost nothing about musical theory. It's something I think I'm wanting to learn more of. Can anyone reccommend any self-teaching books or online courses that don't cost a bomb?

Careful now. This type of talk tends to bring out the bellend who ends up posting about theory being tosh and developing your own style.

• Paid Members

Yep, everyone knows that theoretical knowledge and playing with feeling are mutually exclusive.

I was an emotive guitar god, pouring my feelings out through my instrument until I learned what a dom7 was, and now I'm a soulless, pretentious wanker.

• Paid Members

Andrew Wasson's YouTube channel (Creative Guitar Studios) is a good one.

I'll have a butchers through my horrendously disorganised filing system, but I think I may have a pdf of Idiots Guide To Music Theory / Music Theory For Dummies.

If there's anything in particular you want to know though, ask here. Me and Call Me Bellend had a cracking conversation a few years back where I taught him scale theory by comparing it to Dean Malenko. True story.

I am not a hundred percent sure where to start. The basics in all honesty. :withstupid: Comparing scale theory to Dean Malenko sounds absurdly fun!

Careful now. This type of talk tends to bring out the bellend who ends up posting about theory being tosh and developing your own style.

Can't stand those folk! Having further knowledge in the musical field can only help you develop a unique style, non? Pissants! :hmmm:

Yep, everyone knows that theoretical knowledge and playing with feeling are mutually exclusive.

I was an emotive guitar god, pouring my feelings out through my instrument until I learned what a dom7 was, and now I'm a soulless, pretentious wanker.

That's exactly why I'm wanting to get started learning. That's exactly the vibe I'm wanting to go for, pretentious wanker. :D

• Paid Members

Right, I've pulled the theory pdfs out of my recycle bin, so fuck knows where I saved them to.

One thing I've never really picked up on before is that these books almost always assume the person reading it is a pianist/keyboard player, and so the diagrams don't really do guitarists a favour.

• Paid Members

Right, I've pulled the theory pdfs out of my recycle bin, so fuck knows where I saved them to.

One thing I've never really picked up on before is that these books almost always assume the person reading it is a pianist/keyboard player, and so the diagrams don't really do guitarists a favour.

Notes in the space spell face. Tat-tay tat-tay ta ta and all that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Regarding this situation:

I could even be sensible and try and work out why my USB interface records with a shit load of hiss (I'm slowly, slowly getting there with the 21st Century technology).

My tip - don't use USB interfaces. The technology is fundamentally not good for audio transfer. I've always had issues, particularly with cheap ones (sub 100 quid, say). You can dick around with wires/DI boxes/ground isolation loops, and it sometimes works but sometimes it's just internal to your PC's USBuses.

Soundcards with an internal component card are always the best, followed by Firewire 400/800/Thunderbolt. You can pick up a 2nd had Firewire 400 or 800 card really cheap for your PC/Mac, and then buy a really nice external sound card such as a Focusrite or RME or similar.

£2 on a SmartMedia card reader. Link the laptop to the Boss 4 track (I could even sync them with MIDI if I was feeling flashy), record the guitar tracks directly (so no lag/latency, and I can used the COSM effects), and then I just drag the audio file over. I have to convert it from .br0 to .wav , but that's such a piece of piss it's hardly worth mentioning.

No hiss, no distortion (well, not the bad kind), no lag, no problem. I only wish I'd thought of this years ago. It also means I can put a mono guide track onto the four track and just take that with me for simplicity, and then transfer it across when I get home.

If all goes as well as it has yesterday and today, this year's Christmas tune is going to be a cracker*.

:cool:

*Digby: Bringing the topical lolz since 2014.

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce