UKFF Music Project

Vito

8 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

I can't really give tips 'cos I know fuck all about the production side of music, but those are all pretty decent. 

How did you get the voices recorded on Frydaze, or were they added separately?

Cheers! 

They're just ripped from Before Sunrise because they fit the bill. 

• Paid Members

What I mean is, are they recorded "inside" the keyboard, or did you use something like Audacity to add them afterwards?

If you're using the vocoder, can you save or record any of the noises you make with it?

2 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

What I mean is, are they recorded "inside" the keyboard, or did you use something like Audacity to add them afterwards?

If you're using the vocoder, can you save or record any of the noises you make with it?

Aha right. Nope I just ripped the audio from the film itself, used Audacity for a quick bit of echoing and dropped the clips into FL Studio. Same with the cricket noises peppered sporadically throughout it. 

Yeah, you can save and record the vocoder but that takes up one of your digital synth tracks on the sequencer and knocks the analog synth offline because of the system memory so it's a bit of a gimmick to be honest with you. I records it in separately as the last thing on the track (which was more or less recorded live into FL by setting up a few patterns and mixing them in and out). 

• Paid Members

I got a new tablet for Christmas, and a copy of Caustic 3 for it so I can try and put some music together. Tried to assemble some of the old stuff we'd put together on my mate's drum machine to try and get my eye in so to speak. I've also thrown some random pseudo dubstep thing together. It's good, I enjoy it.

For some reason (depression), I’ve decided that now is the time to bang out a single or an EP using only GarageBand loops and my own vocals, and ideally the virtual instruments but I don’t know how to play them. I have not got a scooby how to compose or arrange a song, mind (every song I’ve written before has just been acoustic stuff co-written with a guitarist), so any tips would be welcome. So far, I’ve been reading stuff about Steve Lacy that’s been inspirational, and found a few tutorials on YouTube that are solid. But the videos are mostly from hip hop artists, whereas I want to do Sad High Note Songs.

• Paid Members

Hack Music Theory is probably the best YouTube channel for your situation. 

Odd sense of humour, and their phrasing can be a bit strange (I suspect because they're not native English speakers), but their way of putting stuff together is good.

Anything else, just ask in here.

Screenshot-2020-01-18-at-11-25-44.png

Added a Korg Monologue to the setup. Since I'm doing everything fairly DAWless, I wanted an extra board to do leads/basses/FX on top of the four tracks already on the Roland. This thing sounds filthy. It's basically an acid machine. All the presets sound like Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2 or Aphex at his piss taking, harsh sounding best. Have a small mixer on the way as well, and an Oceans 11 reverb pedal. That'll be chiefly for the Monologue, to turn its monophonic notes into big, sweeping sounds. Can't wait for them to arrive to tie it all together. That'll be me sorted for awhile then. I think. I'll probably be back on Thomann in a few weeks like a junkie, getting a drum machine. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrQrk566Nys

Decided to chuck myself up jamming a video game track I'm sure some of you have memories of. Appealing to the dork demographic to build up a few views, but it's a fun way of learning how to layer and build tracks! 

• Paid Members

Anybody watched Rick Beato on YouTube? His "what makes this song great" series is good. He also has some good videos on music theory as well. 

20 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

You'd be better off using the reverb pedal for the JD-XI for big lush pad sounds as it's polyphonic and getting a delay pedal for the Monologue as it's monophonic. Or actually, as you've got a mixer on it's way, stick the reverb on the aux channel so you can use it on both.

Interesting advice! I had it the other way because the mono sounds quite brittle and dry by itself. The JDs on board reverb isn't the best but it's already the lusher of the two. 

Definitely going to try the pedal out on both but my thinking is that it won't be too great with my current schtick of playing the JDs 4 tracks live since I don't want big glistening reverb on the whole playback, drum kits and all. 

Good to hear from someone familiar with the gear though. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

25 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Interesting advice! I had it the other way because the mono sounds quite brittle and dry by itself. The JDs on board reverb isn't the best but it's already the lusher of the two. 

Definitely going to try the pedal out on both but my thinking is that it won't be too great with my current schtick of playing the JDs 4 tracks live since I don't want big glistening reverb on the whole playback, drum kits and all. 

Good to hear from someone familiar with the gear though. 

It just won't sound that big and glistening as the sound will be single note mono. The Monologue is best for bass and lead sounds. Poly synths (like your JD-XI) are better for chords and pad sounds. Obviously you'll still be able to get some sounds that you're after out of them, but I think that using a sequencer instead on the JD-XI will open you up to a whole new world of possibilities.

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

It just won't sound that big and glistening as the sound will be single note mono. The Monologue is best for bass and lead sounds. Poly synths (like your JD-XI) are better for chords and pad sounds. Obviously you'll still be able to get some sounds that you're after out of them, but I think that using a sequencer instead on the JD-XI will open you up to a whole new world of possibilities.

Makes sense. The JD would, as you say, be for chords and pads whilst the Mono I'm going to be using for slippery, acid style leads which it really excels at. I guess my logic in putting the reverb there would be to give a bit of air to those leads so they don't just cut in all brittle to the rest of the mix. I have this vague notion in my head of how it's all going to go, so we'll see! You've made me realize I'd love delay for the Mono too though. Another piece of gear in my future, then! 

Watch as I do copy and paste Kevin & Perry trance and drown the whole thing in as much reverb as possible. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

2 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Makes sense. The JD would, as you say, be for chords and pads whilst the Mono I'm going to be using for slippery, acid style leads which it really excels at. I guess my logic in putting the reverb there would be to give a bit of air to those leads so they don't just cut in all brittle to the rest of the mix. I have this vague notion in my head of how it's all going to go, so we'll see! You've made me realize I'd love delay for the Mono too though. Another piece of gear in my future, then! 

Watch as I do copy and paste Kevin & Perry trance and drown the whole thing in as much reverb as possible. 

People always go overboard with reverb without realising. A good rule of thumb I use is - if in doubt, try delay before you try reverb. If you have to, drown it is distortion instead. It's always better.

• Paid Members

Threw together some odds and ends in Caustic 3 like my own cover of Da Funk by Daft Punk. It's bare bones, there's a lot of work to be done. I'll try and see whether it's possible to export an MP3 when it's done, or just screen grab a video of it when I decide it's done. That'll probably be never though, as I'll forever be thinking of other things I'll be able to stick in there to add to it. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz