UKFF Music Project

Vito

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

It's not your age. It's how everyone is when they first start. Just practice, practice, practice. It'll become much easier with time.

Thanks. We'll see how it goes. I was too arrogant to think that I could just pick up a few chords in a day or two.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I'll give it another week. I've committed to an hour a day minimum where I'll try the chords and practice the opening riff from 'Dammit', so we'll see if there any improvements or if I smash the guitar with frustration.

Well I guess that is growing up.

I let the kids loose on Soundtrap and my 10yo has made a summer house Banger. As soon as I can upload it, I will.

The 7yo made a trap beat, with her sampling herself saying "Hip Hop, Hippity Hop". I've never been prouder.

• Moderators

Ah nice. I can imagine that must be very satisfying. Obviously my daughter is much younger but loves it when I pull her step ladder up to my decks and let her do some scratching, or dig through a box of 45s and put some stuff on. I don't let her use the tone arm yet, but she can take records on and off, flip them and start and stop and she gets a real kick out of it. 

7 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Ah nice. I can imagine that must be very satisfying. Obviously my daughter is much younger but loves it when I pull her step ladder up to my decks and let her do some scratching, or dig through a box of 45s and put some stuff on. I don't let her use the tone arm yet, but she can take records on and off, flip them and start and stop and she gets a real kick out of it. 

That's awesome. They get some musicality from Mum who played drums, and they got an acoustic guitar so they're both learning that.

Then the youngest said she wanted a drum set, and now she's asking for decks, so their Mum said she'll teach them drums and I can teach them on the decks.

Now, I know how to beat juggle and scratch basically (shout out my old DJ group, Crewcuts: Twickenhams Finest 2001), but I reckon I'd be lost on a modern set and wouldn't have a clue. Some of the stuff I see people doing with Serato blows my mind, so will have to figure out what to get her if she's serious about it.

The most satisfying thing was that when she was making the "song" she meticulously listened to all the samples, beats and directed how she wanted it to sound. Was lovely.

As an aside, I used to love scratching with 45s. I had the 7" of Eye Know, and the B Side, which I think was Mack Daddy On The Left, had the nicest little tone to scratch and fuck around with.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
On 5/20/2020 at 6:09 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

For anyone who wants it, Spitfire are giving away free copies of the BBC Orchestra sample library - you have to fill in the survey and you'll get it in two weeks.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover/

I finally got around to having a play with this - it's really fun!! I think you can still pick it up for free. Here's the thing I made to play around with it.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

Cheers. The vocal and the drums are samples in the traditional sense, and all the instrumentation is played in on virtual instruments using a midi keyboard (all the strings and horns and woodwind come from the aforementioned BBC Symphony Orchestra plugin, and the piano is a different instrument).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• 2 weeks later...

My latest and greatest, thanks to WFH. 

After eight months I feel like I'm reaching a natural limit with the JD-XI and my current workflow of just live mixing chained sequences as a one take performance into the DAW. I'm definitely in a comfort zone now with the sound, so I'm looking forward to movin' on up and doing some new shit in the next few months. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

https://soundcloud.com/thanuts/bodydropper

Just finished up this earlier, had fun making it. Sucks that I have so little free time at the moment, and am about to have even less but I'm glad I'm spending it doing this rather than gaming or bingeing tv/movies.. Even though hardly anyone will ever hear it it feels good to finish stuff.

Edit - is the embed showing up for anyone else? Soundcloud messed up the encoding and I had to delete it and upload again. And because I uploaded it under the same name it's doing something screwy now, for me at least...

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Moderators
6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

The fucking shade here. Leave the condescending to Loki.

🤷🏽 if you're taking this as some kind of attack that's up to you buddy. I'm not judging anyone who chooses to spend their time that way. It's a very fun way to spend your time.

I'm just saying for myself personally, it's a little harder to motivate myself to start making music when I'm tired but ultimately more satisfying so I'm glad when I do.. A bit like going to the gym or whatever.

Anyway.. Looks like the track is showing up for me now so I think SoundCloud has caught up with my messing about now.

• Paid Members

That's really good @Chest Rockwell. I chucked a couple of things together myself using Caustic on my phone and stuck them on mine. They're a bit more electro-noisy, and would probably benefit from my trying to alter some levels in them, but here they are.

2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

🤷🏽 if you're taking this as some kind of attack that's up to you buddy. I'm not judging anyone who chooses to spend their time that way. It's a very fun way to spend your time.

I'm just saying for myself personally, it's a little harder to motivate myself to start making music when I'm tired but ultimately more satisfying so I'm glad when I do.. A bit like going to the gym or whatever.

Anyway.. Looks like the track is showing up for me now so I think SoundCloud has caught up with my messing about now.

I was joking you loon x The tracks nice. Sounds like late 90s solo album Wu. Not necessarily RZAish, but I can imagine Inspectah Deck over it.