UKFF Music Project

Vito

That's probably my favourite track of all time because of the lyrics!  Very pre-millenial Fingerprints of the Gods stuff.  It's a guy called Richard Raw.

Edited by Loki

Dug deep into the hard drive again and found a weird, sparse, UK garage kind of remix of 'One Thing' by Amerie that I did for some reason in probably about 2012. An MP3 file is all I have left of it so I can't even go back and edit stuff as I think I could have turned this into something half decent now, but I still enjoy the idea of it.

I've found the project files for the demos my old post-hardcore band made around the same time. I might give a go re-doing the drums and mixing it down and reminisce about how much we tried to rip off Thrice. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Still sticking with my current theme of sampling old hindi film soundtrack records I have, I made something a bit different this week. Bit of a kind of dub style; I'm pretty happy with it. There's things I could probably keep fiddling with but I don't want to dwell on one track as I'll learn and develop much more by just cracking on with the next thing.

• Paid Members

Can anyone advise on how to address my performance anxiety? For as long as I can remember I've had this thing where as soon as I press record, my playing goes to shit. I make silly mistakes, and for some reason, I press on far harder and end up with sore fingers.

Here's me trying to record myself being all casual and record a short guitar piece. I've been playing this on and off since 1993, and I've played in non-stop for the last two weeks to the point where it's pretty much note perfect.

I tried to record it last night, and gave up after about 90 minutes. Tonight's pretty much a write-off too. Without speeding it up, the video is a few seconds short of 20 minutes.

• Paid Members

Four nights in a row trying to play that bastard guitar piece. What fucks me off even more is the number of times during the day I can play the whole thing without any mistakes.

Oh well. Got a guitar plugged in, may as well jam a bit. I wonder how that tune I started three years ago would sound with a real guitar instead of the sampled one.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKU6LtXa5YU

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce
Fuck's sake, it's nearly 5am.

• Paid Members

Yeah, but Randy has like four minutes of outtakes, and I've got nearly two hours....

It does need to be close to note perfect, 'cos I want to do the overdubs.

Now that I've got that tune of my own as a distraction, hopefully my brain will chill out a bit. 

I've finally gotten around to taking some choice cuts from my first half a year of production and slapping together a full length release. Self isolation, and all that. Considering I'm just doing it as a hobby when I'm not working, I'm quite proud of it. It's basically a psyched out house/trance sound with a few downtempo and ambient elements thrown in. Admittedly I'm going to focus more squarely on a particular style for the next project - this has all the hallmarks of finding your feet and seeing what works - but I'm happy out with it and the nerd in me always just wanted to put together an LP of my own for shits and giggles:

https://acidlovestar.bandcamp.com/

All opinions welcome.

• Paid Members

I'm interested in getting into sampling and putting together some basic hip hop style beats but have no experience of this and no idea where to start. Can any of you fine folk recommend any decent programs for a complete n00b?

Edited by LaGoosh

7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm interested in getting into sampling and putting together some basic hip hop style beats but have no experience of this and no idea where to start. Can any of you fine folk recommend any decent programs for a complete n00b?

I don't know much about hip hop, to be honest, but if you have an iPad knocking about you can knock together some impressive sounding loops on garage band in no time at all. It's got a sampler you can record external audio right into through earphones/your devices speaker. You can then loop the sample, play it as notes on a keyboard etc throughout the track. It's ridiculously fun just to mess around with. 

If you wanted to make it a proper thing and had a bit of cash to spend, I'd probably buy a hardware sampler, but that's just me. I'd rather bang pads/buttons than mess about on screens for too long. If you want to get off garage band fruityloops, ableton, logic etc would all be common enough for hip hop production. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

So the first thing to do would be to choose a DAW. Fruity Loops is a good one for getting a start in hip hop because the sequencer lends itself well to it. But really you can use any of them, but you'll find you might then need a decent sequencing plugin.

Download the trial version and have a play around - it's very simple and intuitive. 

There's lots of free resources out there if you want to find some drum kits and free virtual instruments (in the form of vst plugins and sound libraries) and samples to help get you going and complement the sampling you're doing. You can use all that stuff regards of the workflow tool you choose. If you know what you're looking for I'll happily point you in the direction of some stuff.

• Paid Members

Thanks, much appreciated. I'll give Fruity Loops a try then. What's a sequencer plug in? Can't stress enough how little I know about this stuff.

Basically I don't want to do much more than make samples from obscure songs that I can play around with and add beats/effects/sounds to. I'm not looking to add vocals or record instruments. Something simple that'll let me do that and I'll be more than happy. I don't have any Apple stuff so unfortunately can't use GarageBand.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Moderators

So basically, you're going to want to chop up and lay down your samples, right? The sequencer gives you a 'grid' to lay these down in the time signature and at the beats per minute that you set. So it's a really nice and easy visual way of sequencing out your samples.

Other workflow tools are designed around using audio clips and tracks, and more tailored towards live instrumentation, so without a plugin for sequencing they wouldn't really give you as easy and accessible a way to do that. (They may have some inbuilt sequencing tools these days - I'm not sure, but the point stands that they're not really designed around it).

Another advantage of fruity is that one of the free plugins that comes with it is really good for making basslines, so that will be a help to you also.

Edited by Chest Rockwell