The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

New Linkin Park finally came out after that countdown shithousery. 2 new members and a livestream to announce it. Here's the new song:

I wouldn't consider myself necessarily a fan but I like the tune.

• Paid Members

I'm watching the live concert Linkin Park did yesterday. I was surprised how bummed I was about Chester when it happened but then I thought about it and I played one of there albums on repeat at a particularly low point of my life. Not to mention he was clearly incredibly talented. I digress.

Having seen Linkin Park at Reading years ago I'm well aware of how good Chester was live and I'm honestly not sure this works. Emily is a perfectly good lead for a metal band but her voice just isn't strong enough imo. I'm sure it will sound great recorded but live it's like listening to karaoke.

https://www.youtube.com/live/IL1nlWOciL0?si=XZ02ZUUk2oaHMylh

Edited by DEF

Linkin Park are one of those bands that I didn't really understand why they meant so much to me until Chester was gone.

Back when Hybrid Theory was released, it was such a different vibe and sound that I thought I just enjoyed the music, but the older I got the more I realised the depth of emotion and the meaning of the lyrics and everything resonated with me so much. I still listen to the early albums to this day but they're a far more emotional experience for me, especially after Chester's passing, and they're a bit of a struggle sometimes.

Also I don't think Mike Shinoda can sing for shit so I'll take Emily.

I have every respect for the group for maintaining Chester's legacy while wanting to move on. Having a female vocalist seems to cover all bases so I certainly wish them all the best. I'm not sure if it's for me but I'll be paying attention. Same with Queen who I really loved growing up - they seem to be loving life with Adam Lambert and he seems incredibly respectful of Freddie's legacy but I'd always choose to just listen to the original stuff.

Edited by DavidB6937

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

And to think there were people who genuinely thought that guy from Sum 41 was going to be the new singer. 

That poor fucker had to go online after that and tell everyone his "special announcement" was that anyone that pre-ordered his book would get a signed sleeve. Talk about an anti-climax.

• Members
16 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

If anybody fancies voting for my band Swamp Coffin in this poll Metal Hammer are running about the top 15 tracks of the week it would be much appreciated.

We're top at the moment, fighting off Linkin Park, Opeth and Spiritbox

https://www.loudersound.com/features/best-new-metal-songs-linkin-park-opeth-spiritbox

Done! And 11yo and 14yo voted too :)

I want to support the band as I mentioned before (gotta support the Keff lads innit) what's the best way to buy something, through Bandcamp or the label website?

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Done! And 11yo and 14yo voted too :)

I want to support the band as I mentioned before (gotta support the Keff lads innit) what's the best way to buy something, through Bandcamp or the label website?

That's too kind of you, cheers.

At the moment it would be through the label (apfrecords.co.uk) because they don't pay anybody any fees so it's a bit cheaper off there than Bandcamp.

3 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

If anybody fancies voting for my band Swamp Coffin in this poll Metal Hammer are running about the top 15 tracks of the week it would be much appreciated.

We're top at the moment, fighting off Linkin Park, Opeth and Spiritbox

https://www.loudersound.com/features/best-new-metal-songs-linkin-park-opeth-spiritbox

Picking between yourselves and the new Hidden Mothers track is genuinely the most difficult decision since ‘Daddy or Chips’. I’m just going to have to keep listening to both 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Looking forward to both new albums for you all though