The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

12 minutes ago, Browser Brady said:

Are Turnstile any good ?

Literally only know “Mystery”,  i like it. Any of their other stuff worth checking out ?

I think so. I like very little hardcore and I'm sure there are more "hardcore" bands out there, but for what I'm looking for from that sort of music they tick all the boxes and take some risks.

I'd say Time & Space is their best album, but having said that, this is my favourite thing they've ever been involved in.

On 2/22/2024 at 4:13 PM, Browser Brady said:

Are Turnstile any good ?

Literally only know “Mystery”,  i like it. Any of their other stuff worth checking out ?

They're pretty good. The last album is great and obviously really accessible but I'd second the recommendation of Time and Space. 

• Paid Members
On 2/22/2024 at 4:13 PM, Browser Brady said:

Are Turnstile any good ?

I was abit ahead of the curve with Turnstile. I went to see their first UK show in some random youth club type builing in Tottenham, there was a crazy buzz for the band back then, I never thought they'd go beyond playing hardcore shows though. No one could have predicted then how big they've got and how they've completely transcended the hardcore scene into alternative fashion icons of sorts, they were just an energetic hardcore band with a bunch of great riffs. It wasn't until I saw them play Slam Dunk a few years later I remember thinking to myself that they were gonna blow up into something more, there was just something different about the stage presence and reaction to them that day.

Having followed the band since early on, it's also funny to see the backlash from the hardcore scene that initially championed them are now calling them posers and fake hardcore and the like, give it a rest 😄

Back to your initial question though, if you like Mystery i'd give the Glow On record a go. Then work back to Time & Space and Non-Stop Feeling. You can bang through the 3 albums in about 90 minutes.

• Paid Members
On 2/22/2024 at 4:39 PM, Merzbow said:

Iron Monkey are back! Vocals aside that's 100% how I remember them.

yep, suitably horrible sounding. 

There was a small backlash to Iron Monkey reforming and releasing 9-13 in 2017, I don't know the in's and out's but I think certain ex-members not involved took issues with the other with the band releasing new music and playing under the name Iron Monkey. I can't recall them ever really touring in support of that album either. Dunno if this new stuff will get a similar response?

15 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Dunno if this new stuff will get a similar response?

I didn't really get the hate the first time around, plenty of bands come back with new lineups but this seemed to get a bigger backlash than others. I've already seen the typical "I prefer the original vocalist" comments for this new track.

Not sure if you’d class this as rock (maybe more grunge) but has anyone seen the ticket prices for Pearl Jam with support from Richard Ashcroft? They’re playing at Tottenham’s Stadium in London and Co-op Live in Manchester. The prices are disgusting. I get that bands don’t make the money off CD sales anymore but from the band who fought Ticketmaster for fleecing fans back in the 90s, it’s very disappointing. It’s a hard pass from me.

It definitely feels like it's reached a tipping point with this one alright. 

Also, why is standing now so expensive? Growing up it was always the other way round wasn't it?

I dunno, those gigs will still sell out and nothing will change. I look forward to the improvements to the Spurs squad in the summer :)

• Paid Members

Yep, ridiculous prices and i've seen nothing but negativity online regarding it.  

Looking at the standing tickets for the Manchester show at the new Co-op Arena, standing tickets are listed at £238, surely that isn't right. The Killers are charging £103 for the same tickets at the same venue (which in itself is steep). Think i'll just fire up a live gig on youtube and get a bag of cans in, the robbing fucks.

and @SuperBaconi'm sure you are right, standing tickets always used to be the cheaper option. 

Ahead of their farewell tour, Eloy Casagrande has departed Sepultura to “pursue a career in another project”. Rumour is that he’s going to be the new drummer in Slipknot. 
Greyson Nekrutman, who joined Suicidal Tendencies last year, has joined Sepultura to fulfil their upcoming tour dates.

Eloy is a great drummer and would be a great fit for Slipknot, but I’m gutted he’s not going to be part of the final Sepultura tour.

4fg5NY9.jpeg
YFk5pDU.jpeg