The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

9 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Jesus Christ, the only way it could get more 2002 would be if they added American Head Charge

Elsewhere, here’s Roadburn 2024

Supersonic announced their first lot of bands, too. I'll be going whichever day the body and Dis Fig play.

On 2/25/2024 at 11:19 AM, Egg Shen said:

yep, suitably horrible sounding. 

There was a small backlash to Iron Monkey reforming and releasing 9-13 in 2017, I don't know the in's and out's but I think certain ex-members not involved took issues with the other with the band releasing new music and playing under the name Iron Monkey. I can't recall them ever really touring in support of that album either. Dunno if this new stuff will get a similar response?

My band played on Iron Monkey's debut London gig in 1995, and I've never seen a frontman like Johnny Morrow before or since. He was like a tornado destroying everything in his path. I had a quick look online for live videos but can't find anything too early and he's generally confined to the stage on later shows and a bit more sedated. It's difficult to imagine how anyone could possibly measure up to Johnny's standard, especially as Jim is doing guitar and vocals. I know they've played at least one gig since the reunion, from what I remember (can't find the interview now) Jim stopped playing live with Geriatric Unit because he couldn't tour for some medical reason.

I've been a bit obsessed with the new Job For A Cowboy album Moon Healer since it came out just shy of a couple of weeks ago. Progressive, technical death metal with plenty of melodeath influence and just a touch of their deathcore roots thrown in for good measure. Absolutely ridiculous bass tone too.

I'll have to give that a listen, I'm currently all over the new Toadliquor album which seemingly came out of nowhere after decades without a 2nd album. It's killer old school sludge, heavy as all hell in that Eyehategod style but more so. There's also some electronics and other weird bits in there every now and then..

Napalm Death/ Pig Destroyer/ Primitive Man/ Wormrot in Sheffield last night was as brilliant as can be expected. Primitive Man on the barrier was biblical but Pig Destroyer were something else. I've been a fan since Terrifyer came out but have never managed to catch them live. Bonus balloons and cake as it was Scott Hull's birthday.

Yeah was a really good night, although I had to duck out towards the end as the car park I’ve been using closes at 11pm. Not sure what time the show actually finished, but my heart did sink a little when I saw ‘Napalm Death 9:55-END’, I knew I was missing the end. Second time in a row that’s happened to me at Corporation so I’m going to just pay for on street parking when I go to see Conan there next week, I’m not driving 90 minutes to Sheffield and back again and not see the whole thing.

Great to see merch at decent price too

15 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Yeah was a really good night, although I had to duck out towards the end as the car park I’ve been using closes at 11pm. Not sure what time the show actually finished, but my heart did sink a little when I saw ‘Napalm Death 9:55-END’, I knew I was missing the end. Second time in a row that’s happened to me at Corporation so I’m going to just pay for on street parking when I go to see Conan there next week, I’m not driving 90 minutes to Sheffield and back again and not see the whole thing.

Great to see merch at decent price too

I'm assuming that's Atkinsons car park? Street parking around there is pretty safe, if you drive round the corner from Corp there's Devonshire Green and there's a bit more parking on there and a proper car park at the top of the hill before you get to the main road (West Street). I was surprised by the late finish as it was advertised as a half 10 finish but they'd brough the doors 30 minutes earlier, I'm assuming to give Pig Destroyer a longer set.

It was all acceptably priced, was frustrating that Primitive Man had sold out of a lot of bigger sizes already. I didn't realise until later on that I'd been charged in dollars and not pounds so got my PD longsleeve for 28 quid instead of 35 which was a nice surprise until I found out when I got home that their XLs fit like larges so I can't actually wear my bargain longy.

1 hour ago, cobra_gordo said:

I'm assuming that's Atkinsons car park? Street parking around there is pretty safe, if you drive round the corner from Corp there's Devonshire Green and there's a bit more parking on there and a proper car park at the top of the hill before you get to the main road (West Street).

Yeah I was using Atkinsons. Thanks for the heads up on the others though

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 9:40 AM, Egg Shen said:

Yeah, i could see him going to Slipknot. I am contemplating going to one of those final shows too. 

Speaking of shows, this lineup makes 2002 Egg very happy.

FB_IMG_1709113139945.thumb.jpg.5715f4c2a798e569aae12dad6c18a8fd.jpg

After seeing this poster I decided to see what hed PE are up to these days as I haven't really paid attention to them since their early-00s heyday...

https://twitter.com/catatonicyouths/status/1449152301185253379 - (Twitter won't let it embed for some reason)

...ahh, never mind.