The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

25 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I spoke to soon with the Broken Records recommendation, they announced last night that the main podcast Riot Act has finished, which likely means sister-podcast Broken Records has ended as well. Gutted! my two favorite podcasts gone overnight 😪

The Curse Of The Ebb Acca extends beyond MMA it seems!

29 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I spoke to soon with the Broken Records recommendation, they announced last night that the main podcast Riot Act has finished, which likely means sister-podcast Broken Records has ended as well. Gutted! my two favorite podcasts gone overnight 😪

I followed them off the back of your recommendation of Broken Records (which I enjoyed the Morbid Angel episode), but I’m not taking responsibility for that Egg.

In other news, Damnation have announced Godflesh (performing Streetcleaner) as the replacement headliner after Ministry cancelled their European dates 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

33 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

In other news, Damnation have announced Godflesh (performing Streetcleaner) as the replacement headliner after Ministry cancelled their European dates 

Plus Converge now playing Jane Doe in full and Pig Destroyer playing Prowler In The Yard. They've basically replaced a headliner and ended up with four bands playing absolute cornerstone albums. Well fucking played.

35 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Plus Converge now playing Jane Doe in full and Pig Destroyer playing Prowler In The Yard. They've basically replaced a headliner and ended up with four bands playing absolute cornerstone albums. Well fucking played.

I thought they’d already announced them playing those records, but it might’ve just been At The Gates, but yeah great move. Shame Decapitated are still there, but I think that’s something we’re just going to have get used to.

Some moaning about it, because of course there are, because Godflesh only played last year. Whether you think booking another act to headline is the right call  rather than moving those already playing around (which isn’t always possible) or not is up to you to decide, but if decide on booking someone this close to the show you’ve got to go with whose available

Edited by WyattSheepMask

9 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I thought they’d already announced them playing those records, but it might’ve just been At The Gates, but yeah great move. 

Yeah, it was just At The Gates that was announced as playing Slaughter of the Soul, the others were added as part of the Ministry change and by chucking loads of money at all four bands by all accounts.

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I just started listening to this today after you mentioned it. What timing.

I know my opinion probably counts for very little, but just wanted to give a heads up to two recent releases that I’ve really enjoyed.

The new KEN Mode album (NULL) is out today and I had a listen to it before I started work this morning.

I’m also really enjoying the debut by Miscreance (Convergence), which came out last week.

Both albums clock in at under 40 minutes so you can blast through them easy enough.

The Mars Volta

its a big departure from their previous stuff, and while it is still recognisable as The Mars Volta, they seem to have got rid of all the stuff I loved them for. It’s not as space-y and psychedelic and instead very straight forward, dry, 70s sounding. 

It’s what I imagine Alex Turner wishes the newer Arctic Monkeys stuff sounded like if he didn’t have the label breathing down his neck to make it radio friendly. It’s like Prog-Indie. It’s the kind of music that would be played in a Jimi Hendrix biopic during the scene when he tried heroin for the first time. 

Its just a bit boring and I’m blaming Scientology. 

• 2 weeks later...