DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Anyone with even a passing interest in Japanese cinema should watch the 3 Samurai films that Yoji Yamada made in the noughties. He's a director that's mainly done comedy films, and he's into his 80s now I think, but I've seen the first two (Twilight Samurai and The Hidden Blade) and they were absolutely awesome and reminded me hugely of Kurosawa. I've not yet tracked down the final one but I'm assuming it's also brill.

I think you're talking about Kagemusha? I think that's what it's called. Good film, but then his films are ALL good.

That is indeed the one! Nice on Lōk. Yeah, when you mentioned Ran it made me think of the later, colour films by Kurusawa. Kagemusha is indeed, sensational.

Can

Edited by Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Kilmer's a funny one. In the last 10 years he has made LOADS of films, the vast majority of them utter worthless shite. Yet all of a sudden he will pop up in a gem, like Wonderland and, if you must, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and everyone will think he's on the comeback trail or something. Then he will just go back to the same old shite. Can't figure him out at all but on his day he is a superb actor.

As a Kilmer die hard, it's sad to see but had he paid his taxes he wouldn't be in this mess. It's the Nicolas Cage issue only taken to the extreme, which reminds me of Bad Lieutenant where Kilmer was great but had a tiny, barely supporting role.

Lucas has admitted a few times that kurosawa and especially The Hidden Fortress were massive influences (pilfered) for Star Wars. So much so that the original LucasFilm offices were decorated with blown up stills from kurosawas films. Although to be fair both just stick to Propp's theory of Fairytale narrative so its not an original story by any means.

Win!

Ive not done any Propp for ages. Gawd I feel old

• Paid Members
Kilmer's a funny one. In the last 10 years he has made LOADS of films, the vast majority of them utter worthless shite. Yet all of a sudden he will pop up in a gem, like Wonderland and, if you must, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and everyone will think he's on the comeback trail or something. Then he will just go back to the same old shite. Can't figure him out at all but on his day he is a superb actor.

I get abuse for this, but I think he made quite a good Batman.

• Paid Members

Watched Rio Bravo for the first time yesterday, was such a fantastic film, everyone played their part well, Wayne has unbelievable charisma and presence he's just fantastic to watch, Martin and Nelson were both great as was 3 time academy award winner Stumpy :p John Wayne is marmite to alot of people but it really a fantastic film, I reckon you'd love it richie lad if you haven't already seen it.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Ethan Hunt must stop bad guy.

This film is getting some great coverage, both by the public and reviewers so I decided to go watch it even though I never did see part 3. I can honestly say i was quite bored. Its a step by step action film, absolutely nothing new. It brings some very intersting gadgets and gizmos a plenty but the plot and running of the film is the exact same as every other action film you`ve ever seen. Bad guy steals something, good guys need it back or world will end, good guys get upper hand, bad guys get on top, use exotic backdrops for chases, final fight, end of days.

The characters are similar again to other action teams, bad guys are cliched, this film brings absolutely nothing new to the table.

Perhaps I`ve just seen too many of these films now, perhaps it was the non-digital cinema i watched it in, perhaps i`m just not a fan of big budget action films

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

perhaps its the fact i know main characters wont die and bad guys will be beaten and nuclear war wont happen or the over the top stupid stunts

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

but i didnt get into the film

For 2 hours of popcorn munching stupidity then i suppose its worth the

• Paid Members

Real Steel - Hugh Jackman bonds with his son whilst fighting with big robots. Enjoyed this far more than I had any right to, in a summer full of sub-par blockbusters this stands out as one of the better offerings. It's completely predictable but it hits all the right notes, Jackman's great in it & the mixture of practical effects & CGI is flawless. If you've seen the 80's Stallone film 'Over The Top' then you've seen this (like Fast & the Furious was essentially Point Break) but if I'd have seen Real Steel when I was 12 it would've blown my mind.

• Paid Members
Watched Rio Bravo for the first time yesterday, was such a fantastic film, everyone played their part well, Wayne has unbelievable charisma and presence he's just fantastic to watch, Martin and Nelson were both great as was 3 time academy award winner Stumpy :p

Walter Brennan was a brilliant actor, he really is one of my favourite old stars. His film catalogue is as good as any you will find. He's brilliant in Bad Day At Black Rock, but then again, everyone is. He was also a gifted country singer.

• Paid Members
Real Steel - Hugh Jackman bonds with his son whilst fighting with big robots. Enjoyed this far more than I had any right to, in a summer full of sub-par blockbusters this stands out as one of the better offerings. It's completely predictable but it hits all the right notes, Jackman's great in it & the mixture of practical effects & CGI is flawless. If you've seen the 80's Stallone film 'Over The Top' then you've seen this (like Fast & the Furious was essentially Point Break) but if I'd have seen Real Steel when I was 12 it would've blown my mind.

I watched it the other day, some of the clunkiest dialogue I've heard in ages and its unashamedly cheesy but great fun. Its basically the episode of The Simpsons where Homer becomes a boxer mixed with the Futurama where Bender becomes a wrestler