DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
You have to really be in the mood for Audition

So very true.

I haven't re-watched it since I bought the DVD about three years ago. It's a great film, but it is absolutely gruelling to watch. Just a constant feeling of absolute dread from start to finish.

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
You have to really be in the mood for Audition

So very true.

I haven't re-watched it since I bought the DVD about three years ago. It's a great film, but it is absolutely gruelling to watch. Just a constant feeling of absolute dread from start to finish.

I think there was that period of time between my first and second viewings of it as well. It definitely rewards another viewing though.

• Paid Members

I watched Unstoppable this evening.

It was a preview screening that was free and the film's not out for a week or so so it already made it a bit special which enhanced the experience for me.

I wouldn't have gone to the cinema to see this if it wasn't free, I probably would've rented it though.

Anyway, the film is about Denzel Washington and Chris Pine trying to stop a runaway train, it has a really slow start, painfully slow, nothing much happens for the first 45 minutes or so really but when the train goes out of control the movie picks up and gets fairly exciting until the end.

It's not bad, I'm not sure how long it was but it felt like it could've been 15 minutes shorter or had 15 minutes more action because it dragged a little but the whole movie was about 1 runaway train so I guess they did pretty well to make it as exciting as it was.

Typical Tony Scott stuff, lots of fast cutaways, helicopters, buildup and of course Denzel.

I'd've been a bit indifferent about it if I'd spent

• Paid Members
Highlander

Any way sean connerey is good in this film, and most other people are, including lambert himself (although his scottish accent is so dire its unreal!), but again i like it.

I'd say that Lambert's Scottish accent is more believable than Connery's Spanish accent. :thumbsup:

Clancy Brown (Kurgen) steals the film for me. The church scene is tremendous. He's like Vyvian from the Young Ones after he (failed to) grow up.

• Moderators

I finally saw Machete the other day, and it was fucking brilliant. Really funny, really great action. Delivered absolutely everything I wanted from it. I was worried it might be too tongue in cheek, but it took itself just about seriously enough for it to work for me.

Also, I had no idea about the star-studded cast before hand; I thought Segal and DeNiro were both fantastic.

The other film I saw on Sunday was Extract. Tightly scripted funny little story with some great actors in. It's not wildly hilarious or anything; it's quite subtle and understated, but it's just a damn good film. It is directed by Mike Judge, so I guess the kind of tone you would expect from him.

Really good cast in this one too. Jason Bateman, Mila Kunis, JK Simmons. The guy who played Brad the poolcleaner was fantastic; I've no idea who the actor is. Also, there's a really good performance from Ben Affleck who I didn't even recognise despite being told he was in the film before seeing it (he had a beard and long hair).

Highlander

Any way sean connerey is good in this film, and most other people are, including lambert himself (although his scottish accent is so dire its unreal!), but again i like it.

I'd say that Lambert's Scottish accent is more believable than Connery's Spanish accent. :thumbsup:

Connery's Egyptian Accent :thumbsup: (ah the muddled world of Highlander *sigh*)

• Paid Members
Highlander

Connery's Egyptian Accent :thumbsup: (ah the muddled world of Highlander *sigh*)

Was going to mention, connery doesnt do "Accents" does he? hes always Sean Connerey. Also correct he is egyption in highlander. I dont mine his, its mainly lamberts seems even worse, because everybody elsein that scene is either english doing an accent or actually scottish, so he sounds soooooooo bad!

Either way i still mark out for christopher lambert!

Was going to mention, connery doesnt do "Accents" does he? hes always Sean Connerey. Also correct he is egyption in highlander. I dont mine his, its mainly lamberts seems even worse, because everybody elsein that scene is either english doing an accent or actually scottish, so he sounds soooooooo bad!

Lambert barely spoke any English and had to re dub all his lines post production. It was in some Empire Feature last year and may well crop up on the Anniversary DVD somewhre

• Paid Members

Lambert barely spoke any English and had to re dub all his lines post production. It was in some Empire Feature last year and may well crop up on the Anniversary DVD somewhre

How did he even get ast in this film then? I found out via the extras that he is french, but always wondered how he ended up in the role. His english was bad, as well as hjis scottish accent....plus his acting is a bit hit/miss at the best of times.

AGain i still like him for cult reasons but you do have to wonder!

Over the past few days i have watched, Hot Tub Time Machine. Just a really fun and funny film. Not the 1st time i've watched it but it's definetly better watching it with a few friends.

Inglorious Basterds. 3rd Time i had watched this and i seem to be enjoying it more each time. Brilliant performances by pretty much everyone.

Mic Macs. I've never seen Amelie so had no idea what to expect. It's a very strange and has strange humour throughout but was really good. I also loved they way it was shot and the colours. Definitely gonna check out Amelie now.

Green Day Live in Munich. I watched this at Cineworld. While i'm not Green Days biggest fan, i went cos my Dad really wanted to, so i said i'd go with him. Green Day are surprisingly awesome live, really made me want to buy more of there stuff and see them live. The only annoying thing was it was an MTV production which means the camera angle changes every 3 seconds!

• Paid Members
The other film I saw on Sunday was Extract.

I really enjoyed this, sometimes it's nice to see a film that's not a massive spectacle or full of over the top gags, just a well written understated funny little movie.

I've always liked Mike Judge (even Idiocracy) and JK Simmons and Ben Affleck are always welcome viewing.