DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

Day: Yesterday

Time: Evening

Audience: Myself, my good friend Richtor and my good friend, Peter

Film: Due Date

Rating: 4 stars

Comments: I can only echo what others have said. if you like Robert Downey Jr and Zach Giraffelikilus, you'll love this. I do, so I did. If The Hangover hadn't been released before this, this film would probably be considered fantastic even better. As it is, it lacks some of the charm.

• Paid Members
Date Night

Got this on DVD a while back and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Both the leads are good, Mark Wahlberg is quite good too. Some genuinly funny moments in it.

Currently i've been making my way through the series 1-7 boxset of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Really enjoying it. Up to series 5 at the minute and it seems the show gets funnier with every season. In terms of how it all flows it's very hit and miss. Some episodes will build slowly up to one massive punchline, and some will be belly laughs throughout. The only criticisms i'd have of it are that every argument he gets in to is often a variation of the same thing. (black/disabled/gay/lesbian/blind/foreign/old person is overly militant for no reason). It becomes quite annoying to the point I groan every time Rhonda comes on the screen because it's always the same "LARRY HATES THE BLACK MAN" stuff. Probably the only poor writing it has.

Krazee-Eyez Killa was genius though.

• Paid Members
Didn't they use a very similar plot for an episode of Tale Of The Unexpected, possibly called Metamorphosis?

Royal Jelly

Guys and Dolls

Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra star in the movie adaptation of the stage musical. Made in 1955.

Heres the quick version of the movie:

Guy bets guy he cant get the salvation army woman!

essentially thats it.

Theres a few running plots about a gambling den and another about a marriage but that just seems to be filler around the main plot.

I didnt like it! Whoever thought Marlon Brando could sing needs shot (but hes a very good dancer). The musical numbers are truely awful, most unforgettable, and even the famous `Luck be a lady` song didnt seem to fit in properly. The film felt really, really cheap.

and yet it was nominated for 4 Academy Awards! (must have been a slow year or something!)

I only watched it because my daughter is doing it for her school show next year and I wish I hadn`t bothered. But at least I know what to expect, 8 months of listening to truely bad musical numbers!

Just watched the Black Death, anyone here seen it?

I loved it very enjoyable and dark. Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole way through.

So, I did watch this in the end. Highly recommend it - very atmospheric, very gritty, great period feel to it. It wasn't scary per se, but more unsettling and disturbing along the lines of The Wicker Man. Sean Bean was good, but the standout was definitely the young monk, who now has a lead role in Pillars Of The Earth (and is equally great in that). He's going to be a big star this kid.

I'll give it 7/10.

• Paid Members

Anyone seen Let Me In?

Not seen the original or know anything about it before watching so was pleasantly suprised as I thought it was a full on horror. Few boys in the cinema shat themselves a few times mind you. The kids in the lead are very good in their parts and it's all held together nicely.

• Paid Members
Anyone seen Let Me In?

Not seen the original or know anything about it before watching so was pleasantly suprised as I thought it was a full on horror. Few boys in the cinema shat themselves a few times mind you. The kids in the lead are very good in their parts and it's all held together nicely.

I can't recommend the original to you enough. It is a fantastic, wonderful film. :love:

• Paid Members

watched Signs for the first time in a few years last night. Love the movie. I've always been intrigued by aliens and Signs for my money is one of the better alien movies, i just love the subtle approach to the movie, the tension gets wracked up and you're left stranded out in the middle of the sticks with a family who have no idea what's going on in the rest of the world. The cast is great, it's tense, the scares are there and it's genuinely creepy. The ending is what pretty much destroyed the movie for some people, it is a bit of a 'what the fuck' moment, but getting past the poor looking alien it's a pretty clever ending.

Plot holes will be discussed for eternity, but for a 100 minute scary mytery/thriller i fucking loves it. I might actually go on a bit of a Shyamalan marathon, he'll always have a ridiculous amount of hate but i enjoy his movies.

Watched Burn After Reading a few nights ago with the missus.

Started off as a very slow burn, and for something that was supposed to be a comedy, didnt really raise any laughs, until Brad Pitt came on screen. playing way against type (Closest thing would be 12 monkeys possibly) as an Airhead. Then the film transformed from a send up of high American Society to a deepest black comedy and spy mix up effort

The conversations that the director of the CIA has with his subordinate as the whole thing unravels and unwinds is a thing of beauty and the last one is absurd in the extreme.

It's a good movie overall. The slow start nearly killed it, to the point where I was umming and arrhing as to whether to turn it off cos frankily it was coming across as being shit, but the rest of it redeems it.

Not brilliant by any stretch of the mind, but solidly good.. Worth a watch if you like Coen Bros films as is typical of them and comedies that arent audience or canned laughter lead and traditionally signposted ( I dunno something like Bulworth or Wag The Dog I suppose, but spies instead of politcal thrillers) could make a good double header with Gross Point Blank I spose.

Anyone seen Let Me In?

I can't recommend the original to you enough. It is a fantastic, wonderful film. :love:

I've not seen the remake, but I found the original very underwhelming after all the praise I'd seen it get.

Edited by Pityinthecityofsin

• Paid Members
watched Signs for the first time in a few years last night. Love the movie. I've always been intrigued by aliens and Signs for my money is one of the better alien movies, i just love the subtle approach to the movie, the tension gets wracked up and you're left stranded out in the middle of the sticks with a family who have no idea what's going on in the rest of the world. The cast is great, it's tense, the scares are there and it's genuinely creepy. The ending is what pretty much destroyed the movie for some people, it is a bit of a 'what the fuck' moment, but getting past the poor looking alien it's a pretty clever ending.

Plot holes will be discussed for eternity, but for a 100 minute scary mytery/thriller i fucking loves it. I might actually go on a bit of a Shyamalan marathon, he'll always have a ridiculous amount of hate but i enjoy his movies.

I thought the ending was incredibly meh for what had been built up before. Once the alien was revealed (which wasn't that bad looking), the plot and the tension seemed to nose dive.

Edited by surf_digby