*OFFICIAL* UKFF RANT thread

neil

The ID issue is obvious. If you get asked, show it. If you don't have it, your fault. The asking for ID when buying a 12 rated film isn't anything I've seen before, but fair enough if you don't have ID to prove your over 12 then no DVD for you. It's the ID by association that confuses me, what are the rules?

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The ID for someone with you is to prevent proxy selling. There are no hard rules, although a possibly underage pointing out a product, handing over money or carrying alcohol to the till are all major pointers. It's a judgement call really.

It's not bollocks, I've been in a Sainsbury's and seen first hand, where a friend of mine was refused service because he was with his 15 year old son...

Obviously the first question was "If I was buying alcohol for him, what would've happened if I'd told him to wait outside?", the attendant just smiled and shrugged. Brilliant logic.

That's because the attendant has no agency in that situation, I've worked in ASDA & Morrisons and I've had to do things I have zero faith in but if I don't do them my thick as balls store manager can certainly fire me over them and someone buying what they want is worth less to me than being able to pay off my bank loan.

• Paid Members
It's not bollocks, I've been in a Sainsbury's and seen first hand, where a friend of mine was refused service because he was with his 15 year old son...

Obviously the first question was "If I was buying alcohol for him, what would've happened if I'd told him to wait outside?", the attendant just smiled and shrugged. Brilliant logic.

Nobody's questioning the logic or lack thereof regarding some laws and rules. It's STILL not the fault of a cashier, though.

I've been ID'd many a time when putting bets on if it's a shop outside of my local ones, mostly on days when I'm clean shaven as, for whatever reason, the moment the razor comes out, I drop like 10-12 years off in looks (I'm 28 btw). Never kick up a fuss though in person, just take it on the chin and go somewhere else. Does get frustrating though

• Paid Members

Never been ID'd since I started going out drinking at about 16. Being taller than most at the time I guess. Chance would be a fine thing nowadays, wish I got ID'd. Take it as a compliment Richie instead of throwing a wobbler at not getting your drink on.

• Paid Members

I remember when I was doing the M&S management scheme I got called down to a womenswear checkout because one of our staff had ided someone and the person had asked for a manager. I got down there and the person was clearly in her mid forties, so it was a little awkward. Policy said I had to back up the staff member, and so I did. As she left I surreptitiously pointed out that if she went to any other check out in the store, she'd be served.

The cashier felt like a complete idiot, so I spent some time afterwards telling her she did absolutely the right thing. You're not certain that person is over 25, you ask for ID. End of. The customer can piss and moan all they like but it's the job.

So I've got an email back off Asda apologising for what happened. They even said they don't blame me for complaining and would have felt the same way had it happened to them. The issue has been taken to the Store Manager who will be rebriefing checkout staff on the correct time to ID customers. My complaint will be passed onto all checkout staff within that store and the store manager will take necessary actions.

I'm pleased with the outcome of this and how Asda have taken it seriously.

• Paid Members

I used to get IDed all the time, babyfaced and whatnot, only shit I used to give them was if they asked "Are you 18?" Where I'd reply 'No' and whilst already going to my wallet for the ID finish it off with "I'm 26"

The majority of the time I was asked it was always reciprocated by an apology for asking.

The only time I've ever said something with relation to the ID thing was when a new Tesco opened up by me, obviously all staffed by local young girls in the area. These two lads were buying booze, and granted they did look young, but the girl serving them knew their names, knew what Uni one of them was going, was disappointed that the other hadn't done too well in his A-Levels ... the lot.

Upon serving them the 'manager' ran across shouting and screaming at the poor girl to ID them, proper ranting at her for serving them, she pointed out she knew them and knew they were old enough, he continued to shout down at the poor girl insisting it doesn't matter what she knows it's policy to ID people that look underage, he asked to see the two lads' IDs, they passed them over in a state of shock, they were old enough so left the shop.

The dickhead manager then continued to lambast the poor girl, to which I had to step in and tell him he was talking shit and that if the server KNOWS the customer they shouldn't have to be put in a position to ask, or put their friends in the position of being asked. I then also informed him that he was being highly unprofessional by speaking to a member of staff like that in front of customers, and that I would be penning a letter to Tesco about his behaviour.

He marched off to the back in a huff, and upon getting served I got a big thank you from the cashier.

• Paid Members
So I've got an email back off Asda apologising for what happened. They even said they don't blame me for complaining and would have felt the same way had it happened to them. The issue has been taken to the Store Manager who will be rebriefing checkout staff on the correct time to ID customers. My complaint will be passed onto all checkout staff within that store and the store manager will take necessary actions.

I'm pleased with the outcome of this and how Asda have taken it seriously.

Well they're wrong for apologising to you. They should not be apologising for their staff correctly interpreting company policy just because it inconveniences some arsehole for a few minutes. My hope is that they're saying that just to shut you up and that you end up being one of those cases where they accidentally CC you in on an email that was meant to stay internal that says something like, "lol check out this tosspot moaning about his Step Up 2 The Streets DVD lol".

• Paid Members

But they will apologise though, in their undying crusade to keep customers- no master how fickle and twattish they may be- as happy as possible. When I worked at Sainsburys over ten years ago I remember that you'd bend over backwards for the customer even in cases where they were completely wrong and in some cases out of line.

Archived