*OFFICIAL* UKFF RANT thread

neil

I think that's a horrible opinion.

I never, ever think of the till operator or whatever as an extension of corporate policy. Managers, maybe, at a push but 'till monkeys' (horrible turn of phrase) generally think the company are as bullshit as you do.

I don't mean in instances of someone being rude, or something they've done themselves, but in terms of laws, procedure and policy give them a break. They're not paid enough to either care or suffer your shit.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that's a horrible opinion.

I never, ever think of the till operator or whatever as an extension of corporate policy. Managers, maybe, at a push but 'till monkeys' (horrible turn of phrase) generally think the company are as bullshit as you do.

I don't mean in instances of someone being rude, or something they've done themselves, but in terms of laws, procedure and policy give them a break.

As I said, if nobody ever complains, nobody ever notices the policy is rubbish. Twinn's one of the worst people in the world, but he wasn't to know whether this till monkey (no point crying about the term, I've been one myself and it's not hard) was enforcing a stupid rule that Asda came up with or whether she was stupidly misinterpreting a more reasonable Asda rule.

Either way, contacting customer service flags up the issue. If it was the woman who was at fault, she might be dealt with. If she was just doing what her manager said, then the manager knows that at least one customer has had an issue with his stupid policy. If that stupid policy wasn't down to the manager but higher-ups, the manager knows it's caused a complaint in his store and he can inform the higher-ups about that.

They're not paid enough to either care or suffer your shit.

That's exactly what they're paid for. The customer plus a computer can do the scanning items and paying bit now*, but seven quid an hour's being shelled out because the bods in smart suits need some div in a green polo shirt to enforce their cock-arsed "you don't look 25, therefore you're 11 until I see your passport" rule. When we've got mandatory microchips that the self-service machine scans as our ID and that woman's huddling round an oildrum fire for warmth waiting for the soup kitchen to open, she'll long for the days that some bumfluff cunt was shouting the odds at her.

*Except for the bit where every third item rings up as "please wait for assistance" because the computers are shit.

At a guess, you're currently not employed as the friendly, cuddly secretary at the offices of a workers union, are you?

I don't think I really have a response, I think if we differ so strongly on whether people are paid minimum wage to suffer customers shit then there's not very far we can go from there.

Though, Pitty, I'd be disappointed if you're going round leaving cans of beer on the floor for Betty to pick up. I like you Pitty, don't be that guy.

I look about eight hundred years old, I haven't been asked for ID in nearly six years. And even then, I didn't have any, but I was chuffed to have been asked. That was short-lived, though. When the barman asked the landlady if she'd sign off on me being twenty-four, she said "Twenty four? He must have had a hard paper round."

Asda staff make more than minimum wage, don't they? Regardless, anyone working retail is definitely paid to suffer shit from customers, and smile as they do it. Particularly if they're asking people who are obviously sixth-formers and up for ID to buy a 12-certificated DVD.

Do you genuinely believe that paying customers just should never ever be able to question company policies?

There's ways of doing it without being a dick.

And, if you get asked for ID, I do think you should take that on the chin. It's always going to be subjective and people are always going to be asked despite being of age. Live with it.

The fines are so huge, both personal and corporate, that a 'you need to look 12 or over to buy a 12' is quite risk. A lot of 11 year olds look 13, not many look 16. Admittedly challenge 25 is a bit steep, but it still isn't the fault of the cashier and isn't going to change by being a dick about it. They'd rather have a bumfluff wringer than fines.

On one hand you shouldn't work in customer services and not expect idiotic complaints, it's part of the job. On the other hand if you sit and write serious complaints about being asked for ID you probably shouldn't be allowed to leave the house unsupervised. On the imaginary third hand this whole thing went down in Rhyl which is home of some of the weirdest scumiest people on either side of the counter.

• Paid Members

I worked in a complaints team for years, at management level briefly too, and if I was Jonjo's manager I'd give him a bollocking for that letter. My guess is he's new at the job or a temp and didn't ask an experienced team member to proof read his letter. Happens all the time. When I used to do audits, around 15% of decisions made would be wrong. You haven't won anything other than landing a complaint handler who doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

It's astounding how badly it's written given it's essentially a stock response taken from a template.

I've only ever been asked for ID once in my whole life in a shop, bar, club or pub, and funnily enough it was when I was buying cigarettes for someone else who was underage..something I've only done once and would never do again.

But anyway, you got asked for ID, big deal? Either produce the ID or don't buy the product and come back with ID next time. Also some of the attitudes of and behaviour towards shop staff from some people on here is shocking. I worked behind the counter in a One Stop Convenience Store for 2 years and worked in Tesco for just under 1 year though, so I know what a fairly high number of customers will be.

The bloody joy - just found out im not getting paid before christmas, the council - although they approved my timesheet - didnt send the money to my payroll company and so now i wont be getting paid til the week after christmas.

• 4 weeks later...

Right, time for an update. Everything is still shit.

Basically, over the christmas period we were suppose to work and he rang in one day claiming he had a major medical episode using a condition that would leave him debilitated for life. It was a lie, when he rang us he wasn't even in hospital having being discharged the day before but led us to believe the lie. When we found out we were livid. But no one cares.

Right now he has not been disciplined, held to account or punished in any way shape or form for lying about us and being exposed. Last week I had to have a one to one meeting with my boss in which he said 'Yes he's done all these things, but YOU need to do the work' I wanted to shout right there and then but I didn't. Me and the other two girls have tried loads of ways to placate him with in reason and given so much to make it work, the arsehole has done nothing but that's my fault.

Finally, does anyone remember I said he walked from department to department telling tales on us. Well, he's still doing it. We get dirty looks from people who aren't in our situation and have never had the common courtesy to ask us what's happening.

As it stands, in a sub team of 4, 3 of us are leaving. No one cares as long as the arsehole's happy, and he's ecstatic at the shit he's caused.

• Paid Members

Anger level 1.

I'm interviewing a couple of people for a job in Birmingham tomorrow and was due to go to London after it to interview a candidate on Wednesday.

Plan was to arrive in London early evening. Have a couple of pints, go for a curry, get an early night in bed, no nagging wife going on about cleaning the kitchen, no trying to feed Damian the toddler who feeds his tea to the floor, no kung fu fights during the night with damian playing karate kid with my head as he sleeps horizontally across 2 pillows in my bed.

Candidate has fucked off to the Alps for a week so I'm heading home instead, I'll be home too late to cook a decent meal and won't be able to claim a take away on expenses as I'm not staying away overnight.

Anger level 3.

Archived