New Doctor Who

stewdogg

• Paid Members

The way I felt about this episode was that there will never be another David Tennant, but we just had the first Matt Smith!

I liked him and I especially liked her (:love:) but the new music was shit.

The police uniform did it for me ;)

i assume they won't address it at all, but i think it could make for a nice storyline/plot of the doctor supposedly being on his last ever regeneration and how it affects him.

He's not on his last ever regeneration, he can regenerate 12 times, and this was just his tenth.

Wasn't there something aluded too at some point, that maybe he can go beyond the 12?

can't see how anyone could complain about what we just saw.

I complained as it was no fucking different to what had gone before despite assurances that it woould be.. the rest of your post confirms that their were multiple references to the tennant/ Davies era as well So no different then.. Let down I was

I feel sorry for you.

i assume they won't address it at all, but i think it could make for a nice storyline/plot of the doctor supposedly being on his last ever regeneration and how it affects him.

He's not on his last ever regeneration, he can regenerate 12 times, and this was just his tenth.

yes i know. i did not mean for the current incarnation of the doctor, just as a future storyline

As for the 12 regenerations there is also a theory that when he stooped his regeneration halfway though and just healed himself and created the other Doctor he actually did use up a regeneration.

If I were to do it now they are no more Time Lords left after he has used up his last known regeneration I would play it as even he doesn't know if he will or won't regenerate.

Also if The Time Lords (leaders) can control how many times a Time Lord can regenerate during the Time War it's possible they upped the number or gave them a unlimited amount

No, it had Alex Kingston. And not in a spacesuit this time.

Erm yes he was in it.

The moment I saw Bill Nighy in the Coming Soon traier I nearly jumped up and punched the air. If he is destined never to be the Doctor (seriously someone make him it!) then at least him being it will ease my anger!

Smith was excellent in this episode, obviously he was still regenerating so what his doctor actually is we shall find out soon enough, but he has the most interesting of faces I have ever seen. The story was pretty good, but with all first episodes its never going to be the best as you have to introduce the new Doctor AND the new assistant (which btw I thought was done brilliantly) Quite frankly though the show was brilliant from the moment the Director decided to see Karren Gillen in a mini skirt every other minute, so thumbs up. Plus the relationship between ehr and the Doctor looks to be less 'romantic', more of a girl and her imaginary friend, the fact she has a fiance shows me they hopefully wont go down the 'they're in love' rose route.

Hopefully Smith continues the way he started, and the show takes on a darker tone, Tennant was sublime when he had to be dark, but suffered with a lot of shit he had to deal with (OTT campness, 'I'm zany me!') Hopefully they allow Smith to take more of the first route.

A whole lot of "What the fuck's going on?" and the usual Mill phone-it-in FX job saved by some snappy dialogue ("You're Scottish; fry something!") and a fast pace.

Sorry but the way that reads is as if you're suggesting that the Mill are phoning it in on what is surely a loss leader for them. I highly doubt the Beeb are paying them anywhere near the amount that the CGI they supply them with for Doctor Who should actually cost.

I complained as it was no fucking different to what had gone before despite assurances that it woould be.. the rest of your post confirms that their were multiple references to the tennant/ Davies era as well So no different then.. Let down I was

That's not much of a criticism. Hey, this series is similar to that other brilliant series that won loads of awards and was generally one of the highest rated British dramas around. And it was appropiately different, its still Doctor Who, so what were you expecting? It had new actors, new sets, a completely different feel. I don't quite know what you wanted? And sure, they made a few references, but most of that was dialogue from the Doctor, who is still basically the same man as he always was. That's kinda the point. Especially since there's always a delay in him changing into whatever he'll become. And actually I'm pretty certain the hospital bit was more a homage to Buffy which has people in comas in hospital saying things during I think the fourth series.

[

That's not much of a criticism. Hey, this series is similar to that other brilliant series that won loads of awards and was generally one of the highest rated British dramas around. And it was appropiately different, its still Doctor Who, so what were you expecting? It had new actors, new sets, a completely different feel. I don't quite know what you wanted? And sure, they made a few references, but most of that was dialogue from the Doctor, who is still basically the same man as he always was. That's kinda the point. Especially since there's always a delay in him changing into whatever he'll become. And actually I'm pretty certain the hospital bit was more a homage to Buffy which has people in comas in hospital saying things during I think the fourth series.

How is it not much of a criticism that nothings different and that the episode could have been Tennant/Davies and no one would have batted an eyelid.

Different feel how so... more of the same I thought. same man as he always was? each doctor prior to Tennant has brought something different to the character.

Using the last few, McCoy, Pantomime doctor with a dark side, Mc Gann went dark and moody, Eccleston went Black humour and very sarcastic, Tennant went slightly aloof and this has been picked up by Matt Smith.

Dr Who tends to homage Dr Who, though there is the odd nod to other references. Since it started again the hospital/Dr motif have been used a number of times... inc New Earth/ WW2/last night/WWI and thats off the top of my head.. iirc Nightmare monsters have been done in the bedroom with the 2012 episode recently!

We have yet another WW2 based drama to look forward to and another Brit fail in Space... There was talk of less old baddies so Cyberleks are turning up yet again is a massive dissapointment as is the re reusing of other baddies created since Tennant. The whole think smacks of lick of paint same again. Lazy writing, same formula that is the death knell of many tv shows which constantly rehash the same tired themes

Iam all for a new Doctor and new assistant as long as the whole thing isnt as identikit as what has preceded it. Other than a pitiful few nuances then its just not happening, its same shit almost unoticably different day

We have yet another WW2-based drama to look forward to and another Brit fail in Space... There was talk of less old baddies so Cyberleks are turning up yet again is a massive dissapointment as is the re reusing of other baddies created since Tennant.

AFAIK there were only 2 previous stories set during WW2: 1989's 'The Curse of Fenric' and the following season's (albeit 15 and a half years later) 'The Empty Child'. So it's hardly overkill in Doctor Who, but if you mean drama in general uses that time as a setting an awful lot, it might be because there's stacks of material there.

As for last night's episode, I basically agree with what everyone else said so far - a solid start for young Matthew, story was nothing special but saved by a few funny lines and the new assistant is gorgeous. The episode and the trailer were both good for spotting the guest stars at least. To think celebrity stunt casting was something the old series was criticised for near the end!

The only real downer was the new version of the theme tune, but it might yet grow on me.

We have yet another WW2 based drama to look forward to and another Brit fail in Space... There was talk of less old baddies so Cyberleks are turning up yet again is a massive dissapointment as is the re reusing of other baddies created since Tennant. The whole think smacks of lick of paint same again. Lazy writing, same formula that is the death knell of many tv shows which constantly rehash the same tired themes

Oh lighten up, kids love the Daleks, what are they going to not have them in it because some of the older fans get annoyed that they're in it a lot? We haven't had a Dalek story for almost 2 years since the last series, so for a lot of kids this'll be the first time they see them. They're the staple of Doctor Who, and if its a good story who cares if they're in it.

They have to establish them, then maybe give them a rest for a year, but who cares, I love a Dalek story. And you've also failed to notice that there seems to be a Vampire episode, a Druid episode, a very different finale baddie and a whole host of NEW things.

On how Smith is similar to Tennant, well it was said before the first episode that he would be similar in this episode as he is getting to know the new him, he's going to have traits of Tennant in there. Plus its one episode, only 10 minutes of which he was actually 'his Doctor'

And how you can say McGann went dark and moody is beyond me

Ah the Whovian backlash..

Its all about the kids isnt it? ( separate bug-bear to do with football)

Daleks... iirc was said was going to give them and the Cybermen a break... They havent though realistically. have they

I appreciate their place in the cannon and if I went deeper their are roots in Nazism Ayran Perfect race et al ( Terry Nation has mentioned it before) that will probably be re-revealed under Gatiss

McGann was a romantic/ goth in the traditional sense not the Goth that is known to day.. He was dark in a victorian/dracula/frankenstein/ dorian grey kind of way.

As shown by the various other cannon parts he is in ( from Wiki as I cant be arsed trawling forever)

As with the Fifth Doctor, the debonair Eighth Doctor's youthful, wide-eyed enthusiasm actually hid a very old soul with perhaps a darker side. In fact, whereas the Eighth Doctor of the audio plays (voiced by McGann) and the comic strip hew closely to the television movie Doctor, the Eighth Doctor of the novels exhibited what was, at times, a much darker personality, perhaps due to the rather traumatic adventures that he underwent.

As for world war 2 segues in to oooh look a war to deal with lets plunder a load of stuff from that cos were are utterly devoid of ideas that we have barely touched before the new series and will do it twice in a a number of eyars

Vampires are by no means new to Who

Vampire stuff in Who!

Nor are Druids Stones of Blood and Fall of Druids iirc both dealing with Druidism.

On Smith Being similar to Tennant Eccleston to Tennant wasnt at all similar. if memory serves So how does that hold water?

See the problem with Doctor Who fans is there too diverse to agree on anything, one persons top five stories will often differ with another's and each person has their favourite Doctor/companion/monster and setting so therefore you'll always have someone unhappy at the show for some reason.

As far as Matt Smith goes, he was fantastic yesterday for me and stepped into the role perfectly sure he has similarities too Tennant in some aspect's but then again Colin Baker and William Hartnell had similar personality traits in their version of the character so it's nothing new as such, I think seeing as how Matt Smith is going too be here for at least 3 year's anyways we had better get used too him being The Doctor.

Though the CGI of The Prisoner Zero's proper form was naff I'll grant you.

Smith's nothing like McCoy. Smith is a good actor. :laugh:

As I've said before, the one thing I love about any Dr Who thread on this forum is the amount of cock-swinging that goes on with people name dropping things being mentioned in past stories (and it's 50/50 as to whether they are actually correct, at best) :rolleyes:

I thought it was really really good. The thing about most of the Tennant specials last year was that Tennant's acting began to overshadow the scripts because the quality of the scripts were not that good. The Next Doctor and the one with Michelle Ryan were both poor. Water on Mars was very good. The finale on the other hand wasn't. The only thing that saved that (and saved it in a big way) was the acting by both Tennant and Bernard Cribbens.

Last night's story had a freshness to it and as arguably the best Doctor Introduction story there's ever been. None of us are emminantly qualified to discuss Power of the Daleks, but it beats all the other ones hands down. The Prisoner Zero thing was - as you would expect - a background complication. The real story was about the Doctor and Amy Pond. The best compliment I can pay Matt Smith is that he immediately came across as The Doctor.

The only bad thing about the episode was the theme tune. Didn't think that was good, but then I long for the return of the 5th Doctor's tune!

Also, as a side point, you can't say 'McGann' is dark and moody because of books. You can say that the 8th Doctor is, but not McGann because he didn't act in the books. And even then you probably can't because the books aren't really considered to be 'canon' by the people who make the TV series, or by 99% of the viewer base. Big Finishes maybe. Books, no. There's been too many contradictions.