New Doctor Who

stewdogg

Count me in as another one giving thumbs up for the new Doctor. I always thought Matt Smith looked too wacky in the promo shots, but I reserved passing judgement until seeing him in action. Not the strongest story for the opening episode, but then it was pretty much only there to set the scene with the new characters. Amy and her family seem much more likeable than previous assistants and their families (loved the addition of Mrs Meldrew as the auntie), and Matt Smith seems pretty much perfect as the Doctor. It might be a snap decision but I think I might love him a little bit.

Edit for the chap above - there's repeats on BBC3 throughout the week. No repeat of Confidential though, which I forgot about and would quite like to see. Bugger.

Edited by CAREBEAR LUVVA

• Paid Members
i assume they won't address it at all, but i think it could make for a nice storyline/plot of the doctor supposedly being on his last ever regeneration and how it affects him.

He's not on his last ever regeneration, he can regenerate 12 times, and this was just his tenth.

Any concerns I had about the new Doctor got thrown out of the window very early into the episode, Matt Smith was superb in the role. The new companion was very good as well.

As far as first stories for a new doctor go it was very good and if Matt Smith was that good in the role at that stage I am quite excited as he should only get better in the episodes to come as he tones down the David Tennant vibe and establishes more of the traits that will come to be unique to his Doctor

As Iam in a different Time zone.. I thought it was Tennant era who.. same shit different cast.. disappointed... Similar themes Still being covered.. Hospitals with things going wrong , then a WW2 episode and then brits in YAWN............. I though Moffat and Smith were meant to be different

can't see how anyone could complain about what we just saw.

Bloody awesome, love the "raggety doctor" matching the press build up for his reputation of being a bit clumsy (smith broke the sonic screwdriver less than 5 minutes after he got his hands on it etc...).

Loved the scan of all the old doctors then him coming through the blue.

The little girl was fantastic - her first acting role!

Theme remix worked for me, but only critisism of the whole episode was some of the incidental music sounded like semi-reworked versions of well known dr who music (or maybe that was the point).

pissed myself when confidential had the tour of the new tardis set out like MTV cribs.

and on the teaser montage - they did that when tennant first took over, everyone thought "well the whole series looks quite good there" but they saved all the real good stuff for actual episodes & if what they showed tonight is just a taster, then good god the license fee is worth it.

Hospitals with things going wrong

That, I am pretty sure was a subtle homage

Edited by courageous

A whole lot of "What the fuck's going on?" and the usual Mill phone-it-in FX job saved by some snappy dialogue ("You're Scottish; fry something!") and a fast pace.

The title sequence and new theme music are pretty terrible. I'll forgive these for the hot ginger assistant. Overall, it was a whole lot better than most of the previous season and the various "specials" over the last couple of years.

Plus, the "Coming Soon" trailer had Bill Nighy...

can't see how anyone could complain about what we just saw.

I complained as it was no fucking different to what had gone before despite assurances that it woould be.. the rest of your post confirms that their were multiple references to the tennant/ Davies era as well So no different then.. Let down I was

• Paid Members

No, it had Alex Kingston. And not in a spacesuit this time.

As for the assistant, skinny ginger Scottish women are about as far from my type as it gets, but fuck, those legs.

A whole lot of "What the fuck's going on?" and the usual Mill phone-it-in FX job saved by some snappy dialogue ("You're Scottish; fry something!") and a fast pace.

The title sequence and new theme music are pretty terrible. I'll forgive these for the hot ginger assistant. Overall, it was a whole lot better than most of the previous season and the various "specials" over the last couple of years.

It also had James Cunting Corden. I think it's safe to say I wont be watching that episode.

I think she'll turn into a creepy in love assistant more so than the others with that wedding dress bit.

I could be wrong though, but I doubt she's going to be the next Donna where she isn't in love but changes the Doctor for the better etc.

• Awards Moderator

It also had James Cunting Corden. I think it's safe to say I wont be watching that episode.

I think she'll turn into a creepy in love assistant more so than the others with that wedding dress bit.

I could be wrong though, but I doubt she's going to be the next Donna where she isn't in love but changes the Doctor for the better etc.

The wedding dress wasn't because she was in love with the Doctor, was it? In the "Coming Soon" she definitely said something along the lines of "I'm meant to be getting married tomorrow!" - another two years had passed, so I assumed she'd got engaged to that nurse bloke. Lucky bastard.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Am I the only one who saw a big resemblance to Captain Awesome off Chuck with the laptop guy?

I liked Matt Smith alot and that episode was far better than any of the specials with Tennant.

Edited by remlap

The wedding dress wasn't because she was in love with the Doctor, was it? In the "Coming Soon" she definitely said something along the lines of "I'm meant to be getting married tomorrow!" - another two years had passed, so I assumed she'd got engaged to that nurse bloke. Lucky bastard.

I suppose, but the way they showed the Dr and her figurines that she had made over the years and then the dress set off a spark. Maybe when she said that she did mean to that Dr. but I can imagine it turning into one of those stories where she never forgot about him and swore to herself that if she ever saw him again she wouldn't let go, or something like that.