New Doctor Who

stewdogg

Its all about the kids isnt it?

Yeah it is, that doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it i.e. Pixar movies for instance, Who has the ability to appeal to all ages, but primarily it is aimed at kids, and kids like Daleks.

And as someone said, you cannot base McGann's performance on the books, in the film he was very energetic, a romantic hero, but not at all dark and moody (he was still very good though) And what I meant by the Vampire story was that we haven't had something like that in the new series, at least not how it looks in the trailers and clips. Certainly if you go through all of Who history you'll find similarities. And we haven't even seen the Cyberman episode, for all we know it could be a fleeting glimpse of one and thats it.

Obviously you don't like the new stuff, thats fine, I'm just saying I think you should judge Smith and the series after a bit mroe than one episode.

Ill keep this short and brief

sgmilne and GalaxyV.2

Ive said why I dont like xyz regarding the new Doctor based upon what Ive seen, Ive expressed my views regarding certain events. I have backed up what Ive said (albeit lazily)

The continual justification that seems to be required for someone just to have a view on something is getting to 'Bing Overload' proportions. Its not a fucking history degree and I shouldnt have to provide some kind of on each and every point just because I clearly dont have the same Dr Who knowledge or stance.

Some topics get very exclusive, very quickly on this forum and yes there is willy waving, ironically from sgmilne in the same post where the point was made.

I dont like the new doctor based on what I have seen thus far.. . I will watch the rest of the series. Iam not optomistic because I feel based on what has been shown thus far. The continued rehashing of the same old same old since the series was resurrected (despite assurances otherwise) leads me to get increasing bored and fed up with repetetive nature of what is being shown and as such it is getting more difficult to distinguish one doctor from the next.

To me, this ep had the feel of a Tennant episode, and could have been him playing the Doctor and no one would have noticed. The series looks like it will follow a similar line.

I feel Paul McGanns Doctor was dark and romantic in a Gothic horror type of way. This has been further propegated in the books, but I took my view from the movie/ ep what ever you want to call it. That is the way I see it. Iam sorry if this is somehow alien to everyone elses view

• Paid Members
Smith's nothing like McCoy. Smith is a good actor. :laugh:

They both used the same slapstick style of physical acting, the pratfalls and sligth buffonery.

Also, as a side point, you can't say 'McGann' is dark and moody because of books. You can say that the 8th Doctor is, but not McGann because he didn't act in the books. And even then you probably can't because the books aren't really considered to be 'canon' by the people who make the TV series, or by 99% of the viewer base. Big Finishes maybe. Books, no. There's been too many contradictions.

RTD has himself said that there isnt a definitive 'yes' or 'no' about if the books are canon. He stressed in one interview that he 'cannot put in the TV series any reference to a licensed product which might be taken as requiring BBC viewers to purchase something in order to know the whole story'. That indicates, to me anyway, that he considers the BB books as (mostly) canon but isnt allowed to say so.

RTD has himself said that there isnt a definitive 'yes' or 'no' about if the books are canon. He stressed in one interview that he 'cannot put in the TV series any reference to a licensed product which might be taken as requiring BBC viewers to purchase something in order to know the whole story'. That indicates, to me anyway, that he considers the BB books as (mostly) canon but isnt allowed to say so.

I think that is a BBC rule I read if there ever is a Doctor Who Movie (in cinema's not TV movie) they won't be allowed to put anything in where the viewers have to go to watch it to understand what goes on in the TV show for example they said they wouldn't be allowed to do a regeneration

To me, this ep had the feel of a Tennant episode, and could have been him playing the Doctor and no one would have noticed. The series looks like it will follow a similar line.

You obviously didn't quite clock on to what they were doing then, did you not notice all the way through he was still changing and trying to fight it saying stuff like, I've got to do this first, not right now that sort of thing, they were trying to put over that he was still regenerating and that the Tennant in him wanted to fix this problem he's lumbered his new self in before he fully changed, I thought it was a stroke of genius and Smith carried it off to perfection, the little mannerisms that he was using at the start even down to his run and how they gradually changed as the episode moved forward to the point where he stepped through the eyeball thing and proclaimed, I'm the Doctor. I think people need to be a lot less caught up in what happens in the past, who gives a monkeys, it was like 30 years ago for a start and if you wanna harp on about Canon, he's a fucking Timelord for gods sake!!

• Paid Members

Considering I really didn't like the publicity shots of Smith, and his brief moment after regeneration, I did end up enjoying him that episode. He does have a weird shaped head though, that kept making me thinking of this guy...

joseph-merrick.jpg

Sorry.

New theme tune? I'm another that didn't like it. Whilst I did like the orchestral arrangements for Ecclestone and Tennant, I do hanker for an electronic version again. No modern drums under it though.

The papers complaining about Amy and her short skirt. Does nobody remember Peri's introduction? Or Leela in general? Or Rose when she was posessed by Cassandra?

James Corden in an upcoming episode? No thanks. I foresee him trying to be whacky and it being another Peter Kay episode.

I am intrigued by the British Army Daleks though.

Really enjoyed Matt Smith's first outing. I was another not really looking forward to it because it could go either way and I thought David Tennant was fantastic so I was pleased that I got into the episode and his incarnation of the Doctor pretty quickly, Amy Pond seems promising too. The episode seemed to move at a 100mph and so did Matt Smiths dialogue at times, I think he's brought out a new energy, the quicker pace was a good way to move on from David Tennant as well as they could. He does seem a bit wackier and clumsier. Still seems to have that slightly cocky edge Tennant had towards the end, especially at the end when he warned the giant eye thing away

Unlike a lot I actually really liked the new theme, seems a bit darker.

The only thing I didn't really get in the episode was the "corner of your eye" stuff and the whole Amy not seeing the door/room with Prisoner Zero in. How that was so and what that was all about seemed to pass me by.

• Paid Members

The room had a perception filter on it. It was also mentioned in the story with The Master in. It's basically a less funny version of the Somebody Else's Problem field from Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, where your brain blocks out anything within this field. It's not invisible, it's just that it demands absolutely none of your attention.

The room had a perception filter on it. It was also mentioned in the story with The Master in. It's basically a less funny version of the Somebody Else's Problem field from Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, where your brain blocks out anything within this field. It's not invisible, it's just that it demands absolutely none of your attention.

Wasn't it also in Torchwood?

• Paid Members
The TARDIS also has one it's why nobody notices a 50's/60's Police Phone Box in odd places also the reason unless you already know about it (or it crashes) you don't see or hear it arrive or leave

In fairness the box is often noticed in odd places, the first one that came to mind was the episode with Pompei. The TARDIS is removed and sold as art work.

Really enjoyed Matt Smith's first outing. I was another not really looking forward to it because it could go either way and I thought David Tennant was fantastic so I was pleased that I got into the episode and his incarnation of the Doctor pretty quickly, Amy Pond seems promising too. The episode seemed to move at a 100mph and so did Matt Smiths dialogue at times, I think he's brought out a new energy, the quicker pace was a good way to move on from David Tennant as well as they could. He does seem a bit wackier and clumsier. Still seems to have that slightly cocky edge Tennant had towards the end, especially at the end when he warned the giant eye thing away

Unlike a lot I actually really liked the new theme, seems a bit darker.

The only thing I didn't really get in the episode was the "corner of your eye" stuff and the whole Amy not seeing the door/room with Prisoner Zero in. How that was so and what that was all about seemed to pass me by.

the doctor, martha and jack used these filters (tardis parts on a neck chain?) in the year that didnt happen with the master and the killer orbs, they dont interact with you so dont "exist" to you. and theres on on the lift in torchwood

The TARDIS also has one it's why nobody notices a 50's/60's Police Phone Box in odd places also the reason unless you already know about it (or it crashes) you don't see or hear it arrive or leave

In fairness the box is often noticed in odd places, the first one that came to mind was the episode with Pompei. The TARDIS is removed and sold as art work.

True but I have heard the Doctor say the TARDIS has one maybe the ppl of Pompeii could see it because they already was willing to believe in stuff (eg magic-gods ect)