New Doctor Who

stewdogg

I thought Saturday's special was a bit shit. It gave me the impression that it was written by children, especially with the plagiarised ideas (The bus on appearing on another planet is taken from Gaiman's The Sandman), the blatant Lara Croft 'homage' and the overall cringe worthiness of the dialogue. It seemed more like a bad fan fiction to me.

I hope this isn't a sign to come regarding the quality of the new Doctor's episodes.

Also, I don't get how 'something is about to happen' would effect someone who has a time machine. Why doesn't he just go forward, find out what it is, then go back and prepare for it, or even kill the cause of it?

I'm sure the writers must be somewhat retarded.

Also, I don't get how 'something is about to happen' would effect someone who has a time machine. Why doesn't he just go forward, find out what it is, then go back and prepare for it, or even kill the cause of it?

This has been explained quite a few times he can't do that it has to do with crossing his own time stream

I thought Saturday's special was a bit shit. It gave me the impression that it was written by children, especially with the plagiarised ideas (The bus on appearing on another planet is taken from Gaiman's The Sandman), the blatant Lara Croft 'homage' and the overall cringe worthiness of the dialogue. It seemed more like a bad fan fiction to me.

I hope this isn't a sign to come regarding the quality of the new Doctor's episodes.

I believe these are the last of the Dr. Who's to be written by Davies and then Moffat takes over. Hopefully they'll be a lot better then.

This has been explained quite a few times he can't do that it has to do with crossing his own time stream

But doesn't he do that every time he travels in time within a period of his life? I know that he says he can't interfere with events in his own time stream, but he observes events within his lifetime all the time. I just think it's strange that someone with complete control over time and space lives a life in such a linear way, not to mention his constantly hanging out in London all the time.

What you're saying doesn't really make sense.

Something is about to happen to him in his own life. The Doctor's life is still a straight line much like mine or yours, but it just takes place in varios different places and times. He's not going to know *where* something will happen or *when* in his personal timeline because he is 'of no fixed time or abode'.

Pretty easy explanation and certainly not 'retarded'

What you're saying doesn't really make sense.

Something is about to happen to him in his own life. The Doctor's life is still a straight line much like mine or yours, but it just takes place in varios different places and times. He's not going to know *where* something will happen or *when* in his personal timeline because he is 'of no fixed time or abode'.

Pretty easy explanation and certainly not 'retarded'

Hmm.. fair play, I can see what you mean. However, I could put money on this upcoming event taking place in contemporary London in about a years time or so.

Also, I certainly wasn't suggesting that the series itself is retarded, merely the writers of past Saturday's 'special'. Hmm.. maybe that's what they meant by 'special episode'.

I do hope that the quality picks up somewhat once Steve Moffat takes over, I really liked some of the episodes he was responsible for.

In Pyramid of Mars, Sarah Jane made a similar enquiry and they went forward in time from that point to see how it all turned out and saw that the Earth had pretty much been destroyed, once you are in that point in time you have to stick with it until it is sorted.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The episode felt a little writing by numbers to start with and heated up in the last twenty minutes. Though that was probably the point...

Much like ST2009 the villain was interchangeable and that story with the Doctor was the focal point. Seeing the transition of him struggling to accept that he has to walk away... then thinking 'fuck it' and writing his own rules once he figured there are no Time Lords to stop him. His power trip rant at the end seemed very much like the kind of attitude he hated about his people... and with him crossing the line and the preview for Christmas, I'm hoping that what he did on Mars has fractured time enough for the return of the Master.

...or even all the Time Lords which I'll leave there for spoilerings :) I doubt they'd do it - but it'd be cool to see the roles reversing with the Doctor going batshit crazy and needing to be calmed again like Donna did in their first encouncer. Maybe have Bernard Cribbons have him accept him death. Or even the Master... maybe in a role similar to the virtual Leoban near the end of BSG's third season.

'twas a transitional ep, but a bloody good one with that ending.

The episode felt a little writing by numbers to start with and heated up in the last twenty minutes. Though that was probably the point...

Much like ST2009 the villain was interchangeable and that story with the Doctor was the focal point. Seeing the transition of him struggling to accept that he has to walk away... then thinking 'fuck it' and writing his own rules once he figured there are no Time Lords to stop him. His power trip rant at the end seemed very much like the kind of attitude he hated about his people... and with him crossing the line and the preview for Christmas, I'm hoping that what he did on Mars has fractured time enough for the return of the Master.

...or even all the Time Lords which I'll leave there for spoilerings :) I doubt they'd do it - but it'd be cool to see the roles reversing with the Doctor going batshit crazy and needing to be calmed again like Donna did in their first encouncer. Maybe have Bernard Cribbons have him accept him death. Or even the Master... maybe in a role similar to the virtual Leoban near the end of BSG's third season.

'twas a transitional ep, but a bloody good one with that ending.

Loved the ending and would think a return of the time lords would be an immense thing to do. Looking forward to the Christmas episodes now though.