New Doctor Who

stewdogg

Talking of Doctor Who fan fiction has reminded me of the greatest fanfic writer of all time, sparacus:

http://chathamben.blogspot.com/

and his fans at

http://benchathamsux.blogspot.com/

Create your own Ben Chatham adventure at:

http://www.geocities.com/berniefishnotes/sparapage.htm

Edited by Famous Mortimer

Apparantly it's sparklepire, not fire, and is a reference to vampires which sparkle in Twilight, the show featuring Robert Parttinson. I presume that's the show hardcore Dr Who fans watch instead now the BBC have made it all commercial or some such.

OTP is apparantly One True Pairing which is where the type of people who do fan fiction get all obsessed about a relationship between two characters.

Isn't Twilight a film & not a show?

Apparantly it's sparklepire, not fire, and is a reference to vampires which sparkle in Twilight, the show featuring Robert Parttinson. I presume that's the show hardcore Dr Who fans watch instead now the BBC have made it all commercial or some such.

OTP is apparantly One True Pairing which is where the type of people who do fan fiction get all obsessed about a relationship between two characters.

Isn't Twilight a film & not a show?

Yep. I took my 13 yr old daughter to see it over Xmas (I swear to God she was having teenage stirring in her loins through most of it...thought I'd have to wait for the lights to come on at the end and peel her off the seat!). Never seen such a steaming pile of tosh in my whole life. Some stupid teenage girl moves to a new town and falls in love with this guy at school...who happens to be a vampire. And he doesn't kill her! Where's the fun in that??

Edited by Jonathan Ford

Yep. I took my 13 yr old daughter to see it over Xmas (I swear to God she was having teenage stirring in her loins through most of it...thought I'd have to wait for the lights to come on at the end and peel her off the seat!). Never seen such a steaming pile of tosh in my whole life. Some stupid teenage girl moves to a new town and falls in love with this guy at school...who happens to be a vampire. And he doesn't kill her! Where's the fun in that??

:cry:

... :(

• Paid Members

This thread seems to range from moronic to laughable, and that's before we even get onto the new Doctor! As for Matt Smith, I really don't see how people can so easily dismiss the view that age is pretty much irrelevant. When you consider the Character is hundreds of years old then surely it is how the actor portrays this that is most important?

I'd never heard of the guy, but surely I wasn't the only one who could see his potential when he was being interviewed?

What he said. One of the most disturbing posts I've ever read :(

Edited by Famous Mortimer

What he said. One of the most disturbing posts I've ever read :(

I know how you feel. I had to sit next to her squirming in her seat throughout. The thought that after the next couple of years my baby girl will probably be sexually active is a bit much to deal with...

Ignoring the creepiness, if you went in there without knowing the whole thing is essentially a love story, with only a bit of action and quite a heavy re-working of the vampire legends (which I think was an incredibly bold idea by the original author, which does come off quite nicely), then I'm not surprised you were disappointed. The novels are, apparently, simply amazingand the film is meant to only capture a little bit of that (for example, the final sequence of events lasts two weeks in the novels, with a huge amount of detail devoted to them, but takes only about 25 minutes of the film, tops).

I haven't read the novels myself (though I probably am going to), but even though I did quite enjoy the film for what it is, even I could tell they hadn't quite got it right. And Robert Pattison has an incredibly odd-shaped face for someone who is meant to be a literary heart-throb. Oh, and don't let your daughter read the novels yet, Jonathon - they're quite sexually charged, apparently, and if you're worried about her after the film...

(Sorry for dragging this so far off topic...)

Edited by IrishDave

Ignoring the creepiness, if you went in there without knowing the whole thing is essentially a love story, with only a bit of action and quite a heavy re-working of the vampire legends (which I think was an incredibly bold idea by the original author, which does come off quite nicely), then I'm not surprised you were disappointed. The novels are, apparently, simply amazingand the film is meant to only capture a little bit of that (for example, the final sequence of events lasts two weeks in the novels, with a huge amount of detail devoted to them, but takes only about 25 minutes of the film, tops).

I haven't read the novels myself (though I probably am going to), but even though I did quite enjoy the film for what it is, even I could tell they hadn't quite got it right. And Robert Pattison has an incredibly odd-shaped face for someone who is meant to be a literary heart-throb. Oh, and don't let your daughter read the novels yet, Jonathon - they're quite sexually charged, apparently, and if you're worried about her after the film...

(Sorry for dragging this so far off topic...)

She's already read the books. She got the first one from a friend at school, and bought the others late last year. It's absolutely all her and her school friends talk about.

Mind you, good thing from the film is that it introduced me to the band Iron and Wine, which I'm loving at tne mo.

Oh, well, that'll be why then. All my female friends who have read them have said that "it doesn't matter who played Edward, the character from the books is the sexiest man ever". it does go into some detail during the passionate love scenes, what with the kissing and whatnot...

• 3 months later...

Glad they're going to different planets. I've read somewhere that all the specials are set off earth which is a good thing imo. Guess the budget is bigger for these stories given that theres no series. Though with all Russel T.Davies stories, this'll probably be a let down.

Btw, heard the christmas episode is gonna have Bernard Cribbins back in it which is good!

Anyway, has anyone see the new assistant? Its that annoying girl who played Cassie in the first Skins' series. I'm really fearing for it, too young a doctor AND companion. It'll look fucking terrible, like a teen drama in space. I was very excited about Mofatts tenure in charge, now I'm really loosing faith.

I thought I would bump this thread in preparation for the Easter Special.

Must be honest, I've seen nothing about this until a mate mentioned it to me yesterday.

Thoughts?

I've been hearing a lot about it, though I frequent some geeky forums ;)

It looks alright, the trailer has a bit of Pitch Black about it. Though the Jeff Goldblum alien looks dreadful in the trailer (and even worse in the photos). It's been said the specials will have a running theme, I don't know if it'll start here or the next ones. I'm curious to see Zoe Slaters acting in this (I haven't seen her in Bionic Woman) and the hows and whys of the dissapearing bus.

The other specials look interesting due to the guest stars. Which I'll put in spoiler tags just in case anyone wants to be surprised :)

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Wilf is going to be joining in the fun for a special :)

There are also pics on set with Jessica Hynes and Catherine Tate, though it looks like they'll be small cameo's instead of full on characters. But from what I've seen of the plot, it makes sense...

Also this coming Saturday David Tennant and Catherin Tate will replace Jonathon Ross in his Radio 2 show at 10am.

Edited by Evolution

I thought I would bump this thread in preparation for the Easter Special.

Must be honest, I've seen nothing about this until a mate mentioned it to me yesterday.

Thoughts?

I've been hearing a lot about it, though I frequent some geeky forums ;)

It looks alright, the trailer has a bit of Pitch Black about it. Though the Jeff Goldblum alien looks dreadful in the trailer (and even worse in the photos). It's been said the specials will have a running theme, I don't know if it'll start here or the next ones. I'm curious to see Zoe Slaters acting in this (I haven't seen her in Bionic Woman) and the hows and whys of the dissapearing bus.

The other specials look interesting due to the guest stars. Which I'll put in spoiler tags just in case anyone wants to be surprised :)

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Wilf is going to be joining in the fun for a special :)

There are also pics on set with Jessica Hynes and Catherine Tate, though it looks like they'll be small cameo's instead of full on characters. But from what I've seen of the plot, it makes sense...

Also this coming Saturday David Tennant and Catherin Tate will replace Jonathon Ross in his Radio 2 show at 10am.

Sorry, I'm not sure who you mean with the first spoiler.

Second spoiler sounds fun though.