New Doctor Who

stewdogg

MEH...

Thats about the extent of my response.

He's been in 2 things with Billie Piper though (Ruby in the Smoke & Secret Diary of a Call Girl)

Totally uninspired really (And the only reason Russell T Davies is jealous is because he likes casting guy candy)

Your not far wrong I got his book over Christmas as a gift and while the Doctor Who related stuff is insightful, his obsession with the likes of Russell Tovey and Charlie Hunnam come across as disturbingly fanatical.

Either way, I've never heard nor seen of this guy, but I'm not impressed its the most blatant attempt to appeal to that teenage girl fanbase that has been there since David Tennant turned up, they couldn't have been more obvious if they had him turn up naked and dipped in treacle with a sign saying fan girls tuck in.

Ill still watch as always, but shall continue to moan forever and ever and ever and ever like all enthusiasts do. :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
I can live with being older than the England captain.

I can just about cope with being older than the WWE champion.

But fuck off am I meant to be older than Dr Who.

^^ THIS!!

Absolutely wretched casting.

How can you say it's 'wretched casting' where you've only seen what he looks like, with no performance of him as the Doctor to refer to? The age of the actor portraying the character is ultimately irrelevant, as was mentioned in the programme just now. It's the hybrid of young and old attitude mixed with quirkiness and serious emotion that the actor BRINGS to the part that defines the character of the Doctor, not how old the said actor is.

Smith looks very promising, he gives off the vibe of the Doctor, whilst also looking different enough to create his own edge on the character, can't wait! :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

I wish they'd step away from "dashing young heart throb". What's the point in the regeneration when there's so little difference between the incarnations?

I would have prefered someone older and very different to Tennent. An older actor would have given more possibles for character. Lovable father figure, crotchety (possibly eccentric) scientist, poker faced suave motherfucker, etc... Maybe even the confused, mood swinging character that Colin Baker hinted at being in his first few episodes.

Never heard of him. but that does not mean to say that's a bad thing.

I wish they would revert back to an older doctor though........ one thought I had the other week why not bring back Tom Baker? He could definatly still do it, and even better they could do it with a twist and keep droping suttle hints that he has played the role before but never actually admit it.

It sort of makes sense that theyve gone for someone younger than Tennant I guess , the general trend was for roughly younger-looking actors to play the Doctor after each regeneration ( even though Pertwee was slightly older than Troughton I believe , and Colin Baker was older than Davison ) the doctor has been tending to look more youthful . It begs the question though will he be played by an embryo if he gets any more regenerations or will they reset him back to a guy in his 50s or 60s .

I've not heard of Matt Smith until this afternoon though , havent a clue what type of part hes played in the past but I'll probably end up watching regardless .

but in todays PC world and with the BBC having a ridiculous policy of casting all roles colourblind its just gonna happen for the wrong reasons here isn't it? They will do it simply because they want to make a point and no doubt everyone will jump on the defence being that he was the best man for the job but I can't help but think its wrong and it will be done to be PC.

Wow, we've not had an empty use of "PC" as an insult for at least a few days now. Explain to me, in non-racist terms, why it's wrong for the Doctor to potentially be black.

Because he's always been white and is essentially a white character so now explain to me why its right for him to completely change ethinicity

Lets get this straight, I can accept some changes to certain characters to an extent but not a complete sexuality or racial change because it would be done for the wrong reasons, which is to be PC.

[He] has to stay male and if they announce a woman I will boycott

Is it possible for a white Timelord to regenerate into a black timelord? You'd have to say no, but in todays PC world and with the BBC having a ridiculous policy of casting all roles colourblind its just gonna happen for the wrong reasons here isn't it? They will do it simply because they want to make a point and no doubt everyone will jump on the defence being that he was the best man for the job but I can't help but think its wrong and it will be done to be PC.

I'm not racist/sexist but... :laugh:

You couldn't make it up!

I read that as him meaning that the BBC will cast a black person or a woman just for the sake of trying to look PC.

Thank you, that was my point but some people just see racism everywhere