New Doctor Who

stewdogg

I was also slightly surprised at having such a young guy play the part - whether that's me being older than him or him being too young is something we'll have to wait and see, I suppose. No point saying it's a bad decision until we see him do it.

Oh, and re: Herne's Son, I asked for a non-racist explanation of why Patterson Joseph wouldn't work, and you made reference to the Doctor's ethnicity. You do realise you're on about the ethnicity of an alien, right?

• Paid Members
I can live with being older than the England captain.

I can just about cope with being older than the WWE champion.

But fuck off am I meant to be older than Dr Who.

^^ THIS!!

Absolutely wretched casting.

How can you say it's 'wretched casting' where you've only seen what he looks like, with no performance of him as the Doctor to refer to? The age of the actor portraying the character is ultimately irrelevant, as was mentioned in the programme just now. It's the hybrid of young and old attitude mixed with quirkiness and serious emotion that the actor BRINGS to the part that defines the character of the Doctor, not how old the said actor is.

Smith looks very promising, he gives off the vibe of the Doctor, whilst also looking different enough to create his own edge on the character, can't wait! :thumbsup:

Quite easily when age and look are very important in the role of The Doctor and considering I am a sci-fi geek and Doctor Who was my first sci-fi television love over 22 years ago and thus have since amassed a collection of Doctor Who VHS and DVD's that would put an end to any social life I think I'm entitled to my opinion same as anyone else is - geek or otherwise!

Also any chance he had of winning me back ended when I heard his voice. And the whole "The age of the actor portraying the character is ultimately irrelevant, as was mentioned in the programme just now" is just a load of spin like that whole program was...Constantly felt (though undestandably) that they spent 90% of the program justifying their decission to hire such a young person to play the part when really all they needed to say was - young girls + children =

I ought to ask my Uncle, an enormous Doctor Who fan who was my age now when Baker and McCoy were the Doctor, what he thought of those strange old days. I think the most legitimate criticism of the casting choice so far is that not only is he the youngest one ever, but he looks even younger. I've no idea if he's got the gravitas required to face off against big boss aliens or not, and it's not like I'd really heard of David Tennant before he took on the part before.

I'm all for having an open mind, and you're never going to find a Doctor who'll appeal to all the hardcore fans, but I hope Moffat and the other producer put some serious thought into how this new guy is going to work in the show.

I can't say I'm enthusiastic at the choice, but that's only because I've never seen or heard of him before. Having such a young Dr.Whom could throw out some interesting scenarios. :alien:

It still should have been Idris Elba though....

Or Vladimir Kozlov... *headbutts Dalek*

As said, I can't really judge him until I watch him, and Daniel Craig as Bond should teach some people to wait and see before criticising.

I wanted the Doctor to be older, and it seems so did Mofatt from what he said in that show. I still think Bill Nighy IS Doctor Who, and for me should be who they aimed for. Him being 26? well Its all about how he plays it, I think they're going to go a lot darker in this series so he may be a bit more of an old school doctor, less Tennant action/dashing hero, maybe a bit of McGann/Hartnell mix.

His companion pick has to be spot on though, it could end up looking like Skins in space.

I can live with being older than the England captain.

I can just about cope with being older than the WWE champion.

But fuck off am I meant to be older than Dr Who.

^^ THIS!!

Absolutely wretched casting.

How can you say it's 'wretched casting' where you've only seen what he looks like, with no performance of him as the Doctor to refer to? The age of the actor portraying the character is ultimately irrelevant, as was mentioned in the programme just now. It's the hybrid of young and old attitude mixed with quirkiness and serious emotion that the actor BRINGS to the part that defines the character of the Doctor, not how old the said actor is.

Smith looks very promising, he gives off the vibe of the Doctor, whilst also looking different enough to create his own edge on the character, can't wait! :thumbsup:

Quite easily when age and look are very important in the role of The Doctor and considering I am a sci-fi geek and Doctor Who was my first sci-fi television love over 22 years ago and thus have since amassed a collection of Doctor Who VHS and DVD's that would put an end to any social life I think I'm entitled to my opinion same as anyone else is - geek or otherwise!

Also any chance he had of winning me back ended when I heard his voice. And the whole "The age of the actor portraying the character is ultimately irrelevant, as was mentioned in the programme just now" is just a load of spin like that whole program was...Constantly felt (though undestandably) that they spent 90% of the program justifying their decission to hire such a young person to play the part when really all they needed to say was - young girls + children =

Edited by DannRead

• Paid Members
I'm sorry I missed the part where I said that everyone should abort any plans they have to watch Matt Smith as the Doctor and forced that belief into everybody else so your bollocks about 'letting others with open minds enjoy it' is WAY off the mark.

Also you have missed my point about age/look/voice etc, they're pretty important things that MOST people even in this thread have pointed out (those who have opinions that differ - fine, it's your right to have that opinion!) so therefore your comment about peoples reactions whenever there is a new doctor is irrelevant , my arguement isn't about his qualifications as an actor or how well he can play the part or the fact that to a lot of people he is an unknown - the Doctor often is an unknown and personally thats how I prefer it. So either start picking holes or reading too much into everyone elses OPINIONS or kindly fuck off. Either way you don't need to be such an aggressive twat to others whose opinions differentiate from yours, so if you've got nothing constructive to say regarding my opinions don't bother quoting me and coming back with the same thing again as it brings nothing positive to the thread..

It's a bit rich to accuse me of being aggressive whilst you're calling me a twat and telling me to fuck off in the same post, all I originally did was reply to your opinion with my own. Clearly it's escalated a little out of hand now so I don't think it's necessary to carry this argument on. However I still believe waiting until you see Smith in the role before judging is fairer. Yeah it's my opinion, nothing more.

I was also slightly surprised at having such a young guy play the part - whether that's me being older than him or him being too young is something we'll have to wait and see, I suppose. No point saying it's a bad decision until we see him do it.

Oh, and re: Herne's Son, I asked for a non-racist explanation of why Patterson Joseph wouldn't work, and you made reference to the Doctor's ethnicity. You do realise you're on about the ethnicity of an alien, right?

Don't care really they've made a choice now and it was a shit one so its all irrelevant

When i was watching confidential i was like who the bloody hell is that :confused: but then i thought about it and i was like ok this can work .. hes a virtual unknown and can make the role his own as opposed to an established actor who will be looking at a short term deal before moving on

i'll be honest and say im glad they didnt go with a woman or a black actor which was much rumoured since david tennant announced he was stepping down

theres been a lot of negativity on the net already since the announcment was made but think back to when daniel craig was announced as the next bond .. how wrong were those who doubted him inclusing myself

Matt smith has got a unique look and a certain something about him when he talks and with stephen moffat, who's episodes he wrote have been the best taking over from russel davies im sure this show will continue to please when it airs next year

Edited by bobbaf3nn

I've always loved it when people use their 'knowledge' of pre 2005 Doctor Who in arguements like it's some sort of cock swinging contest and get hugely wanky about canon and how they will 'get out of this corner they've backed themselves into'. Of course I say that while swinging my own cock and being comfortable in the knowledge I most likely know the most about Doctor Who on this forum ;)

If you take everything as absolutely literal and look at Doctor Who as a whole and not as a straight line, loads of stuff doesn't make any sense. You've only got to look at the second story - The Daleks - to see that. How do they not know who the Doctor is? How does the Doctor not know who they are? Why don't Ian and Barbara remark that he has two Hearts when they listen to his chest. Why do the Daleks value survival over the universal domination they clearly desire in every other meeting with the Doctor. How come in the Thal's complete history of records of Skaro, the Daleks are previously known as The Dahls rather than the Kaleds? The answer to all those questions is because that's how it was written at the time and who cares if it doesn't tie up with something written by the same guy only 12 years later.

And it's also clear that if you look at things ONLY taking place on screen then things make even less sense. I mean, let's look at this 13 regenerations thing. It's mentioned in 3 stories I think out of the loads of stories in the past. Who cares? Are people that anal that they would get really angry if they just continued to make Doctor Who beyond the 13th Doctor? No. Can they get round it? Yes. Why? Cos it's fiction!!!!

As for the new Doctor, who's to say that he's too young and the Doctor should be old. I'm hugely confident in Steven Moffat. He's a brilliant writer with a real passion for Doctor Who. He knows what he's doing.

Edited by sgmilne

And it's also clear that if you look at things ONLY taking place on screen then things make even less sense. I mean, let's look at this 13 regenerations thing. It's mentioned in 3 stories I think out of the loads of stories in the past. Who cares? Are people that anal that they would get really angry if they just continued to make Doctor Who beyond the 13th Doctor? No. Can they get round it? Yes. Why? Cos it's fiction!!!!

Oh please.

Doctor Who - like any TV show - has established its own rules and continuity. Sure stuff doesn't tie up from time to time and there are continuity errors in a near 50 yr span, but having a "fuck what's been established, let's just go mad" attitude would be horrible. Just regenerating past the thirteenth Doctor without even a brief storyline reason would be some of the shoddiest show-running ever. And with a programme so rich in history and great stories, why would anyone *want* to dieregard the show's heritage?