What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

She's like Nancy Botwin with a shotgun is our Sarah. I think I'm developing a "thing" for this kind of character. Maybe it's because I was raised by a widow and have much admiration for the single mother doing whatever it takes. Who knows? Maybe I just like dark-haired thirty and forty something women who don't take no shit from nobody but are deep-down very caring and sweet and stuff.

Anyway, the season 1 box set was

Oh yeah, of course he is, totally failed to recognise him but thought he looked a bit familiar.

Apparently (well, according to the "internet"), his character in Heroes was intended to be gay, but around the time he was cast in the role in heroes he was going for John Connor as well. His parents thought the character being gay in Heroes would harm his chances of the John Connor role.

Which would explain why he just disappeared from heroes, because as far as I remember he wasn't killed off.

Oh yeah, of course he is, totally failed to recognise him but thought he looked a bit familiar.

Apparently (well, according to the "internet"), his character in Heroes was intended to be gay, but around the time he was cast in the role in heroes he was going for John Connor as well. His parents thought the character being gay in Heroes would harm his chances of the John Connor role.

Which would explain why he just disappeared from heroes, because as far as I remember he wasn't killed off.

The Bennetts left Odessa, didn't they? He wouldn't have followed them.

• Paid Members

I'll put it on the list.

Also yeah, I got the impression that his Heroes character was meant to have an ambiguous sexuality. They sort of hinted at it with the cheerleaders making homophobic comments and stuff, but then never followed up on it. I didn't really mind his disappearance from Heroes because after the memory loss and the Bennett family moving about all the time it didn't really make sense for him to still be involved in any way.

The Bennetts left Odessa, didn't they? He wouldn't have followed them.

Vaguely remember that. -ish.

Shame with Heroes, I watched the first series and enjoyed it-not as much as 24 or Lost but it was still good. Then they stick series 2 on a Thursday night in the summer when I was playing Cricket, and with those being the days before sky+ in my family I never recorded it and haven't seen any of it since. I'll catch up one day.

Another show I enjoyed was Damages. I missed it when it was on BBC first time round, so I watched the repeats on Hallmark until I missed a few episodes and lost track. I got the DVD on Saturday for my birthday, and series 2 is already getting stacked up on the sky+ planner so I've got a lot of catching up to do. Its a lot, lot more than your average legal drama which is what I like. And Rose Byrne, dayum.

• Paid Members

Finished off S1 of the Terminator: The Sarah Connor chronicles last night.

The lady getting strangled by the infiltrator after falling in love with and actually marrying it was quite sad. :(

Summer Glau continues to steal the show for me, but I like most of the main cast anyway. Some critic said that, rather than seem like a robot, she comes off as "lobotomised", which I feel is very harsh. Personally I think she gets it absolutely right the majority of the time and was deserving of the awards she got. I think there's some truth in the criticisms re: the inconsistency between the pilot and the rest of the series in that she came accross as a bit too natural and human in the first episode, but I just assumed she had some pre-set patter to get her in with John Connor and has seen no need to use it again since. They continue to keep some comedic elements in there without forcing it to the point of becoming a parody too. I like her constant inappropriate use of "tight", and also found "it's freakin' big" hilarious.

Glad they killed off the British guy posing as Sarkissian (was he Dan from Eastenders? He looked familiar). He was rubbish anyway. Cromartie is a fun nemesis. Cunning, super-powerful but prone to the same slip-ups and gaps in understanding as the rest of the machines.

Derek Reese is cool, though the scene where he takes John to see young Derek and young Kyle was too mind-boggling for me. Also young Kyle had the worst bowl cut I've ever seen. Why do Americans continue to do this to their children?

Look forward to seeing season 2, though given that the ratings I've seen for S2 are absolutely appalling compared to the first series, I fear for the future of the show.

Watched the Dollhouse pilot also. Amy Acker as an evil doctor, oh my goodnes. :love:

Eliza Dushku is also amazing of course. The role must be quite fun to play, what with the total character transformations she has to undergo. The first episode came off like an iffy episode of Alias at times, but the premise was established and some of the characters seem likeable enough. The blond guy who does the memory wipes is a very Joss Whedon character, if that makes any sense. The dollhouse itself is a really cool location, very impressed with it.

As spikester pointed out, the pilot isn't often the best indicator of the show's quality or potential (which is ironic given that that's exactly what pilots are used for), but I can definitely see it being good and will give the next few episodes a go. I'm assuming the idea is that Echo will gradually figure out exactly what's happening and ultimately end up trying to take down the Dollhouse and the people behind it, because they've already dropped hints to that effect.

Quite an intriguing set-up anyway. Also a good theme song, but then Joss Whedon shows always have a good theme song. The Angel one in particular.

I watched Shameless last night which is good for a laugh. I did think it was too silly but now unashamedly enjoy it :)

I don't usually watch the God Channel but flicking through the channels before Shameless I see they have a conspiracy theory type programme on it with their angle being that they refer to biblical prophecy. Anyway it was intriguing stuff!

• Paid Members

Finally started watching The Wire. Six episodes in so far and whilst I thought the first episode was pretty weak, I'm really enjoying it now.

This does mean I'm struggling to put off watching a bunch of other stuff though...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been keeping up with House?

Last weeks episode was astonishing. I just adore the fact that House and Wilson seem to become better and better friends as the seasons progress.

Anybody know when season 5 is due to start on channel 5?

Apparently BBC2 have got the rights to show The Wire.

They are apparently showing season 1-5 over the space of 3 weeks.

I've never seen the Wire before but I'll definitely be watching due to all the amazing things i've heard about it. Hope it's sometime soon, it's still "TBC" when it's airing.

Also watched the mini series/pilot of Battlestar Galactica due to a friend giving me the dvd. Have to say, I really enjoyed it.

I've just bought The Soprano's season1 too and shall be watching them over the next few days or so. It's another series i've never seen before but got due to the high praise.

Edited by spikester

• Paid Members
Apparently BBC2 have got the rights to show The Wire.

They are apparently showing season 1-5 over the space of 3 weeks.

3 weeks?! To do that they will have to show 2-3 episodes every single day! But yeah, basically The Wire is the best show ever but I would say it requires patience to get into it at first, and if you don't like it it's because (and this is going to sound bad but it's totally true) you are either a) impatient and/or b) stupid.