What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Think i may have to get hold of a copy of The Corner as soon as. Also going to buy some of David Simons novels too. I have become a little obsessed with Baltimore and finding out more about it.

It seems way too much like where Britain is headed for my liking.

• Paid Members

I watched The Corner last summer on HBO OnDemand. It's obviously no Wire, but it's really fucking good. Gary is one of the most sympathetic characters in the history of anything ever. The fact that everything in the show is based on a true story makes it seem that much more hard hitting. It's also strange the things that carried on over to The Wire, like the corner boy getting spotted by the police for having long hair and a nicname being "Black" which was Marlo's nickname in his younger days.

Think i may have to get hold of a copy of The Corner as soon as. Also going to buy some of David Simons novels too. I have become a little obsessed with Baltimore and finding out more about it.

It seems way too much like where Britain is headed for my liking.

Check out some George Pelecanos books, if you haven't already. He's a writer on The Wire and his plots and characters follow similar themes.

Edited by Magnum

Just finished season 3 of The Wire. Fucking A'.

Considering he started his on-screen career in The Bill, Absolutely Fabulous and bloody Family Affairs, Idris Elba's portrayal of Stringer Bell is completely compelling. Amazing, in fact. All told, across the board this is easily, far and away, the best acted show i've ever seen. It might not pack the punch of The Shield, or be as tidy as some of the more budget-ed shows like 24 and such, but it doesn't need to be. As tense and as dramatic as television could possibly ever be.

I'm hoping season 4, which I start tonight, is a bit more Bubbles-heavy but besides that i'm all good.

If he's gone, properly, i'm gonna miss Major Colvin. Well acted character.

Still, the characters of Freeman, Bunk, McNulty, Stringer Bell and Omar (in no particular order) are some of the best television acting i've ever seen. Just fantastic.

**EDIT** On a lighter note, seeing Kima suck tit will forever stick with me. It was good, too, 'cause she was tarted up. [pervert] She cleans up goooooooood... [/pervert]

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

A lot of people complain about Bubbles featuring *too* heavily, so you should enjoy the rest of it.

I fucking love Idris Elba. The "forty degree days" speech is a highlight amongst many highlights. When I saw the Wu Tang Clan in concert, the actual highlight of the evening was when they mentioned that Idris Elba was there. I almost squealed. Most embarrassing.

I wish I had more unseen Wire to watch. I envy you right now. You're still to meet Michael and friends. Lucky individual.

"interesting" aside, I saw that Michael went from The Wire to the new version of 90210. He can do better than that. :(

Saw Around the world in 80 Religions last night for the 1st time, it crams in a lot but some good moments like getting butt naked with the red Indians in the 'sweat'! And got to learn more about the Burning Man Festival I'd seen featured on an episode of Malcolm in the Middle.

Plus One was another fun episode last night on Channel 4. Is he ever going to find his plus 1for the wedding?? :)

Just finished season 3 of The Wire. Fucking A'.

Considering he started his on-screen career in The Bill, Absolutely Fabulous and bloody Family Affairs, Idris Elba's portrayal of Stringer Bell is completely compelling. Amazing, in fact. All told, across the board this is easily, far and away, the best acted show i've ever seen. It might not pack the punch of The Shield, or be as tidy as some of the more budget-ed shows like 24 and such, but it doesn't need to be. As tense and as dramatic as television could possibly ever be.

I'm hoping season 4, which I start tonight, is a bit more Bubbles-heavy but besides that i'm all good.

If he's gone, properly, i'm gonna miss Major Colvin. Well acted character.

Still, the characters of Freeman, Bunk, McNulty, Stringer Bell and Omar (in no particular order) are some of the best television acting i've ever seen. Just fantastic.

**EDIT** On a lighter note, seeing Kima suck tit will forever stick with me. It was good, too, 'cause she was tarted up. [pervert] She cleans up goooooooood... [/pervert]

With the exception of season 1 I would probably have 4 as my favourite so far. I've still got 5 to go though.

The different focus of the season just opens up a whole new area of the world. The school system and the progression of the characters is both fascinating and shocking at the same time.

It's amazing that a show can switch its focus so heavily and still remain compelling is a testament to the writers and actors.

I'm torn with season 5 between watching it straight away because I'm desperate to know what happens and putting it off as long as possible because once it's finished then I will have no more Wire to watch ever. :(

Saw Around the world in 80 Religions last night for the 1st time, it crams in a lot but some good moments like getting butt naked with the red Indians in the 'sweat'! And got to learn more about the Burning Man Festival I'd seen featured on an episode of Malcolm in the Middle.

Plus One was another fun episode last night on Channel 4. Is he ever going to find his plus 1for the wedding?? :)

As educational as it is, he seemed like a man who just wasn't really bothered.

The "it's just mad" comment sort of annoyed me when talking about the spiritualists.

Although he doesn't believe in it, what exactly makes it mad as this is simply something people choose to believe because of their own experiences.

Good and enlightening show though.

As educational as it is, he seemed like a man who just wasn't really bothered.

The "it's just mad" comment sort of annoyed me when talking about the spiritualists.

Although he doesn't believe in it, what exactly makes it mad as this is simply something people choose to believe because of their own experiences.

Good and enlightening show though.

Perhaps ultimately the format of the programme lets it down squeezing so much in, meaning they can't give each belief much time. Though the bit on the spiritualists he ought to have said more when you consider he experienced it and not just watched a seance on most haunted. He could of told us wether it was all a work or whatever from taking part. As you say people choose to believe in it because of their own experiences.

I didn't realise America was so religiously diverse.

Edited by Dynamite Duane