What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Nip/Tuck apparently gets really crazy in later seasons, there's all sorts of serial-killing and high camp storylines to get into.

Nip/Tuck does get pretty crazy at times, but it's good crazy. And it was a serial rapist, not a serial killer, so it's even better...

Second new episode is out tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Also speaking of 6ft Under, I just watched the first episode of True Blood the other day. I knew within the first minute that I would at leat be watching the first few episdoes because it was funny, and featured good music and nudity.

Is said nudity anything to do with the girl who played Rogue?

Said nudity isn't, but before the first series is over......

I'm actually just getting into Dexter. I bought season 1 and I'm 7 episodes in. Loving it so far! I thought Michael C. Hall was fantastic in Six Feet Under so it's great to see him back on tv again. I just wish I'd started watching Dexter ages ago! I'll pick up season 2 as soon as it comes out on dvd. I'm also downloading season 3 at the moment so that as soon as I'm done with 2 I can go straight on to the next one.

Just started watching the new season of 24. Was going to download it, but I'll just watch it at Sky one pace. It means I can watch it in HD too.

After I'm done with Dexter I've got the complete boxset of the Wire to start on. I never watched that either. I got the feeling it would be one of those shows that would be better on dvd, being able to watch at your own pace so I decided to wait. I'm looking forward to it.

Started watching the new season of Nip Tuck too. Downloading it every week from the US. It's pure trash tv, but it's good fun.

I've also got Entourage to start watching. My girlfriend got me the first 3 seasons for christmas, but I've not started it yet

Season 2 reasonably cheap: http://www.bangcd.com/productDetail.aspx?prod_id=7646

• Paid Members

*POST CONTAINS HEROES SEASON 2 SPOILERS FOR ANYONE WHO IS AS FAR BEHIND AS ME*.

Wow, Season 2 of Heroes is totally absurd already. Watched the first few episodes and, well, it's certainly different.

Mr. Sark is the legendary samurai from Hiro's childhood tales? Whaa? Also when I saw "I does what I sees on telly" lady watching Rey Misterio I feared a serious moment of shark-jumpery. I cringed pretty hard when she gave that armed robber a 619. Jesus.

Mr. Bennett working in the paper industry now is amusing, and he's still pleasingly bad-ass about it. Parkman and Mohinder should totally hook up and let Molly have two daddies on a more formal level. Claire and West (WEST??!?) is sickening but also kind of sweet. I know I know. Sylar's return is intriguing, I'm bored of Maya and her brother already. Maya is really quite beautiful though, spot on there Rockwell.

Oh, and Irish accents lol. I was prepared for bad, but fucking hell they're SO bad. "Alroight laahhhds, TURD ROW BACK". Also, is the black guy in their group English or what? So many Americans take a great deal of pride in their Irish heritage, is there no one who can do a passable accent? Also, why not get some Irish folk? Was it really that much of a strain? Worst accents I've heard since Green Street. Apparently the guy who plays Ricky is from Nebraska but attended school in Ireland, so his accent might be a natural blend he's acquired that sounds ridiculous, but it's really bad to listen to. Caitlin's accent is also not good.

Disappointed at Candice's death, though if Missy Peregrym (:love:) wasn't going to play her any more (presumably because she got a major role in Reaper?) then she would lose a lot of her appeal.

Sylar's return is one of the few things that interests me at the minute. Poor Derek. :(

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
Freaks and Geeks is great.. I would describe it as heartwarming. Teenage me is totally in love with the girl in that show.

By teenage you, I sort of assumed you meant you now but without admitting to fancying a teenager ;) Having watched it, however, I totally see where you're coming from. She's the sort of girl I would have totally fallen for when I was that age. Plus, she's played by Sam from ER who I've always had a thing for.

Anyway, onto the series itself. I'm only 4 episodes in but I'm quite enjoying it so far. It seems to me to basically be "Dazed & Confused: The Series" which isn't what I was expecting. Mind you, I didn't know anything about it before going in but expected it to be more along the lines of a modern day sit-com. The format works well though and all the characters are very believable. As much as I'm sure some things are exaggerated for the sake of good television, I'm sure it's a fairly accurate representation of what it was like growing up in suburban middle America in the early 80's. The interrelationships between the characters, especially the the main characters and their friends is spot on and a lot of it has reminded me of my own school years.

Plus, Thomas F Wilson~!

I did have a strange hankering to start watching the second season of Dexter last night though so I may end up watching that as well...

Nip/Tuck does get pretty crazy at times, but it's good crazy.

The latest episode had a male breast cancer patient getting pity sex from a lesbian, a guy getting a blowjob from a woman who turned out to be a man and another guy getting shaved and put in a nappy by his girlfriend. Like I said, good crazy.

• Paid Members
of that, Mary-Louise Parker is absolutely stunning (and a bit of trivia, actually marries the guy who plays her husband in the series after they met filming it), and if you stick with it, there's a bit of nudity to look forward to.

To clarify, Mary Louise Parker nudity? Because I now love her.

Watched the first five episodes. Initially liked the opening theme song and then hated it by the third episode. Other than that I love it so far. Witty, light-hearted but with dark and twisted humour and some pleasingly touching moments as well. Good stuff.

Freaks and Geeks is great.. I would describe it as heartwarming. Teenage me is totally in love with the girl in that show.

The format works well though and all the characters are very believable. As much as I'm sure some things are exaggerated for the sake of good television, I'm sure it's a fairly accurate representation of what it was like growing up in suburban middle America in the early 80's. The interrelationships between the characters, especially the the main characters and their friends is spot on and a lot of it has reminded me of my own school years.

Plus, Thomas F Wilson~!

I think that's the best thing about the show. How it doesn't try and be cool and use wanky hip-language (see Skins) but doesn't do the typical over-the-top 'geek' comedy thing. I expected a puerile, laugh-a-minute show, and was disappointed at first, but as it progresses you really appreciate it not being that way. There is one story later in the series that I don't want to spoil but it goes perfectly against the unbeliveable 'fairytale' type ending cliche but ironically makes the show all the more 'heart-warming' (I agree with Chesty on that).

I've pretty much ignored any and all tv drama so I'm making AN '09 EFFORT to watch some. Got the West Wing set for Christmas (only a quid a disc for 44 discs) then I'll probably get The Sopranos deluxe set after, and by 2012 I'll get stuck into The Wire as I hear it's not too shabby. The West Wing is shaping up well as I near the end of the first season. Suppose the great thing about a presidential drama is they manage to touch on so many of big, important topics (racism without it seeming contrived. Similar to The Thick of It (though not demonstrated in quite a watermelon + sledgehammer way) it shows the dangerous, frustrating nature of 'spin', the weight placed on image management. Also, Rob Lowe is so dreamy :love: .

I've caught the first two episodes of the CH4 show John Adams about the US founding father of the same name. It's kind of more educational for me as I'm quite ignorant to that part of history. Shows (until now at least) how principled a man he was and how that led him from a passive man to one of the more radical voices in the independence struggle. Great to see the other big names introducedn (Ben Franklin is an exceptional character- wise, humorous) and passing references to what would become huge turning points (e.g. that trouble dumping tea in the harbour).

I'm not a nature buff or anything but have been steadily making my way through the Planet Earth series. If anyone has a blu-ray dvd player buy this. Absolutely spectacular images (refuse to even single out examples as there are so many), simple enough for the layman yet so easily keeps your attention and interest. Surely one of the BBC's finest achievements.

Elsewhere, Sealab 2021, with it's wonderfully-defiant lengthy 'still' scenes is edging Harvey Birdman off it's perch (sorry) as my favourite Adult Swim show. The Office US is incredible as ever.

'Babies are one of my many areas of expertise. Growing up I performed my own circumcision.'

Been eating my way through the Complete Black Books DVD boxset I got for Christmas but never have had the chance to watch up until now. Fucking top quality stuff all around. The revelation in the final episode was fantastic. Any time Bernard's overexagerated hygine habits come into play are amazing too.

Make more episodes. Now.

*POST CONTAINS HEROES SEASON 2 SPOILERS FOR ANYONE WHO IS AS FAR BEHIND AS ME*.

Wow, Season 2 of Heroes is totally absurd already. Watched the first few episodes and, well, it's certainly different.

Mr. Sark is the legendary samurai from Hiro's childhood tales? Whaa? Also when I saw "I does what I sees on telly" lady watching Rey Misterio I feared a serious moment of shark-jumpery. I cringed pretty hard when she gave that armed robber a 619. Jesus.

Mr. Bennett working in the paper industry now is amusing, and he's still pleasingly bad-ass about it. Parkman and Mohinder should totally hook up and let Molly have two daddies on a more formal level. Claire and West (WEST??!?) is sickening but also kind of sweet. I know I know. Sylar's return is intriguing, I'm bored of Maya and her brother already. Maya is really quite beautiful though, spot on there Rockwell.

Oh, and Irish accents lol. I was prepared for bad, but fucking hell they're SO bad. "Alroight laahhhds, TURD ROW BACK". Also, is the black guy in their group English or what? So many Americans take a great deal of pride in their Irish heritage, is there no one who can do a passable accent? Also, why not get some Irish folk? Was it really that much of a strain? Worst accents I've heard since Green Street. Apparently the guy who plays Ricky is from Nebraska but attended school in Ireland, so his accent might be a natural blend he's acquired that sounds ridiculous, but it's really bad to listen to. Caitlin's accent is also not good.

Disappointed at Candice's death, though if Missy Peregrym (:love:) wasn't going to play her any more (presumably because she got a major role in Reaper?) then she would lose a lot of her appeal.

Sylar's return is one of the few things that interests me at the minute. Poor Derek. :(

I read an interview with the actor who played the black gang member, who also appeared in Lost as Ekos brother.

He was asked to play a black Irish gang member and turned around to the writers and asked them if they had ever met or spoke with a black guy with an Irish accent.

The writers then decided his character would be a friend of the gang from England but obviously the character was never given enough screen time to explain his past.

Enjoyed Plus One on Channel 4 last night, pretty funny. Seen the lead actor in something else before on bbc 3 I think, set in Blackpool which was quite dark so interesting to see him play a full on comedy part.

Lovin Only Fools and Horses on GOLD :) , I didn't really watch it a lot first time around apart from the Xmas specials.

Edited by Dynamite Duane