What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Just got done with season four of House. Strong ending to the series, and had more emotive stuff than your regular episode. Looking forward to seeing what Wilson does at the start of season 5.

On a side note, I've been watching the series on Hallmark. Are they doing the first run of the seasons, or am I behind? I only ask because Fiver is also showing season 4 of House at a different pace.

Edited by freaky_jason

I'm actually just getting into Dexter. I bought season 1 and I'm 7 episodes in. Loving it so far! I thought Michael C. Hall was fantastic in Six Feet Under so it's great to see him back on tv again. I just wish I'd started watching Dexter ages ago! I'll pick up season 2 as soon as it comes out on dvd. I'm also downloading season 3 at the moment so that as soon as I'm done with 2 I can go straight on to the next one.

Just started watching the new season of 24. Was going to download it, but I'll just watch it at Sky one pace. It means I can watch it in HD too.

After I'm done with Dexter I've got the complete boxset of the Wire to start on. I never watched that either. I got the feeling it would be one of those shows that would be better on dvd, being able to watch at your own pace so I decided to wait. I'm looking forward to it.

Started watching the new season of Nip Tuck too. Downloading it every week from the US. It's pure trash tv, but it's good fun.

I've also got Entourage to start watching. My girlfriend got me the first 3 seasons for christmas, but I've not started it yet

• Paid Members
I've got the complete boxset of the Wire to start on. I never watched that either. I got the feeling it would be one of those shows that would be better on dvd, being able to watch at your own pace so I decided to wait. I'm looking forward to it.

I've also got Entourage to start watching. My girlfriend got me the first 3 seasons for christmas, but I've not started it yet

Absolutely the right call on The Wire. I don't think I ever watched an episode on its own. Always had to watch at least two and it's so much more rewarding if you watch it in chunks. Glad more people seem to be picking up the box set, I guess that's the advantage of a series being finished.

Entourage is great fun. Ari Gold is a hilarious character and the show is light and entertaining. Only downside for me is that the episodes feel really short in this age of 40-50 minute average run times. Although it's comedic it's not a sit-com, and as such I have it in my head the the episodes shouldn't end after 22 minutes. I burned through the DVDs of the first two seasons so fast for that reason.

Nip/Tuck is something I was considering getting into. I remember watching the first few episodes of season one and enjoying it. I recall a botched self-circumcision and identical twins who had surgery to give them separate identities and then asked to be turned back. Good TV indeed.

• Moderators

If you're looking for a new show JLM, without a doubt watch Generation Kill.. It's very short, unfortunately, but it is awesome.

That recomendation goes for everyone else as well... Get on it!

In short - based on a book about a reporter who travelled with some Marines going into Iraq. Made by David Simon, the guy who did The Wire. Features Beecher from Oz as the reporter, and Ziggy from The Wire as a marine (he is particularly great in this), and a bunch of other tremendous characters (Captain America - what a douche!).

Watch it.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but i've just gotten throught 7 years worth of the Gilmore Girls on e4 the past year and i have to say its easily one of my fave shows ever now.

The dialogue is so witty and fast paced and you can't help but feel for many of the characters, plus having such a damn cute lead helps muchly.

I caught an episode of this the other day... It is so jam packed with dialogue that is supposed be snappy, it's really quite annoying. I could see myself watching it though if it happened to be on at a convenient time, providing no one else was around. I would tell myself I hated it, but I would still watch it.

• Paid Members

Always in the market for a new show, especially now that my PC at home is alive and internetted again. Short is fine, I still have that first season of Weeds to watch and I'm just about to start season 2 of Heroes. I will sample your Generation Kill soon enough.

I am prepared for the absolute worst with Heroes S2. I'm curious to see if it can be as bad as people are making out. The fact that almost every poster worth reading on here considered it to be drivel is not encouraging. Seriously though, Kristen Bell, I have to at least give it a shot.

• Paid Members
Finally, I downloaded the entire first season of Weeds this week. Thoughts on this? Wanted to watch it since it was first advertised on Sky One some time ago because I love the premise. Is it good? Thought I'd give it a go.

I absolutely adore Weeds, it's great. The first season is easily the most enjoyable of them all so far as it's the most lighthearted. I've discussed this with someone else on here a while ago and it got much more serious in tone from season 2 onwards and I think it had to in order to convey that there is danger in getting involved with dealing drugs. Much like with Dexter, I imagine there was all sorts of complaints about the fact you would have to be essentially rooting for a criminal in the series and hoping to see her prevail.

The word 'enjoyable' above was chosen carefully. The series probably does improve in quality as it goes on and humour is still very much present but there's the constant element of danger that makes the series quite addictive and takes it to a different level.

On top of that, Mary-Louise Parker is absolutely stunning (and a bit of trivia, actually marries the guy who plays her husband in the series after they met filming it), and if you stick with it, there's a bit of nudity to look forward to. Also, the kid who plays Shane is the same kid who voiced Nemo, which gets quite amusing once you get into season 4.

I also recently finished season 2 of Pushing Daisies. Although, watching all 10 episodes in a week and a half over Christmas, the constant "The facts were these..." from the narrator did get a bit irritating but I think the writers even acknowledged that by occasionally having a character say it instead or one instance of changing the line slightly. However, it was refreshing to see that the quality of writing and even the story has improved since the first season and I still think it's awesome that Anna Friel has made it in the States. Her accent doesn't waver in the slightest and she's given the opportunity in this season to show how much of a range of accents she can achieve which, for a girl from Manchester, is pretty impressive.

I don't what to start watching now I've finished Dexter... I could move onto season 2 but I'm quite tempted to finally get around to watching the Wire because I've had it sat in my room for weeks now. I've also got Dirty Sexy Money (to carry on with the Six Feet Under cast), Band Of Brothers and Freaks and Geeks to get through.

I also recently finished season 2 of Pushing Daisies. Although, watching all 10 episodes in a week and a half over Christmas, the constant "The facts were these..." from the narrator did get a bit irritating but I think the writers even acknowledged that by occasionally having a character say it instead or one instance of changing the line slightly. However, it was refreshing to see that the quality of writing and even the story has improved since the first season and I still think it's awesome that Anna Friel has made it in the States. Her accent doesn't waver in the slightest and she's given the opportunity in this season to show how much of a range of accents she can achieve which, for a girl from Manchester, is pretty impressive.

Cancelled, sadly. Well, I say sadly, by the end of its run the status quo had been restored, meaning it was the same characters in the same positions they were in at the end of the first episode. There's only so much of that people can stand before its ratings drop and it gets cancelled. Look at "The Wire", justifiably lauded as the cleverest and best TV show ever made. It told a story, its characters went on journeys and it was unafraid to change things around. It didn't just go "hey, what if the murderer worked in a honey factory this week?". No matter how good a show is (Bryan Fuller does this a lot - Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me) if it doesn't get cracking and go somewhere, it risks losing viewers.

"Monk" is the only show I can think that has dodged this particular bullet, but that's more that it's a "Murder She Wrote" for the hipster generation.

Edited by Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members
I don't what to start watching now I've finished Dexter... I could move onto season 2 but I'm quite tempted to finally get around to watching the Wire because I've had it sat in my room for weeks now. I've also got Dirty Sexy Money (to carry on with the Six Feet Under cast), Band Of Brothers and Freaks and Geeks to get through.

Season 2 of Dexter is really really good, watch both. Dirty Sexy Money got cancelled midway through the second season I think so I only watched a few episodes of the second season, season 1 was good, it's a light comedy not too serious.

I'm currently watching...

House Season 1

The Wire Season 3

The Shield Season 4

Up to date with My Name is Earl

Nearly up to date with Prison Break

Entourage Season 2

CSI Season 1

• Moderators
I am prepared for the absolute worst with Heroes S2. I'm curious to see if it can be as bad as people are making out. The fact that almost every poster worth reading on here considered it to be drivel is not encouraging. Seriously though, Kristen Bell, I have to at least give it a shot.

I don't remember S2 that much, other than that it was a bit of a mess. S3, though, has some of the worst dialogue ever. The story is still quite fun in parts but the dialogue is hideous. Has it always been this bad? I can't remember.

But yeah, Kristin Bell is looking mighty fine, although still only the 2nd hottest girl on the show (Maya :love: )

Freaks and Geeks is great.. I would describe it as heartwarming. Teenage me is totally in love with the girl in that show.

Also speaking of 6ft Under, I just watched the first episode of True Blood the other day. I knew within the first minute that I would at leat be watching the first few episdoes because it was funny, and featured good music and nudity.

I haven't fully formed an opinion on it yet, but it definitely left me wanting to know more after the first episode so that's a good sign...

• Paid Members
Cancelled, sadly. Well, I say sadly, by the end of its run the status quo had been restored, meaning it was the same characters in the same positions they were in at the end of the first episode. There's only so much of that people can stand before its ratings drop and it gets cancelled. No matter how good a show is (Bryan Fuller does this a lot - Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me) if it doesn't get cracking and go somewhere, it risks losing viewers.

Strange, I thought I read the Wikipedia page recently and didn't mention that it had been canceled. You're right though, unsurprisingly. I really liked it as a concept but I can see that you're right about the characters generally not going anywhere. This was particularly true for the first season, although the second season was really starting to go somewhere with Chuck's dad, the Pie Maker's dad and Emmersons daughter. Not to mention the ongoing saga of Olive's feelings for the Pie Maker and various happenings with the aunts. Overall I would say it's sad it got canceled because there's clearly more that could be done with the characters and whilst things were moving slowly, they were definitely moving.

Also speaking of 6ft Under, I just watched the first episode of True Blood the other day. I knew within the first minute that I would at leat be watching the first few episdoes because it was funny, and featured good music and nudity.

Is said nudity anything to do with the girl who played Rogue? I'm intrigued if so. I'd be more intrigued if he'd gotten Lauren Ambrose to play the character as I'd much rather see her get her kit off. Although I can see she might want to distance herself from Six Feet Under and also from more troubled characters. A sitcom with Parker Posey was clearly the only possible choice to stop any sort of type casting going on there...